Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

They didn’t make a fuss about it. It was just a tiny part of the overall discussion. Again, they didn’t throw shade at the game or anything. I recommend listening to the podcast. Lots of interesting content.

1 Like

I saw it as silly myself. We all know Forza couldn’t be done on the One that’s the whole point of Turn 10 from the start not even trying to develop an Xbox One version

The tire simulation alone, would probably crack the Jaguar cores :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s like the whole focus of their channel. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There is plenty to stop the N64 from handling a game anywhere close to RE4 Remake on the design side.

I don’t agree with what they were saying (honestly I thought it was Alex talking about Forza on Xbox One) but I certainly wouldn’t see it as being disrespectful. Those guys are the last ones to be malicious towards devs considering how much they know about game development.

Really, I don’t think they follow things like Forza monthly and that’s where they’ve typically gone in depth over the physics. Still, they aren’t technically wrong regardless. They can cut stuff or scale things back to run on the Xbox One. The whole point was that they don’t need to cut last gen quite yet but they are and they consider that a good thing.

The writing has been on the wall for a while that they’ve dropped support and I couldn’t be happier. I wish they would have done it sooner for games like Halo Infinite.

One of the most polished games in a long time he says at the start of the video. But we also see a glimpse of the performance mode into the 40fps. I’m gonna watch it now.

4 Likes

I’m really tempted to get this. There’s just so much to play as is. I wasn’t impressed when they first showed the game in 2020 but it looks much better now. I’ll always wish they went back to turn based combat though.

1 Like

so it’s polished even though the 30fps mode isn’t consistent??? lmao

7 Likes

It looks good, but overall I’m just not super impressed with the visuals. The environments. Look nice, but don’t blow me away. Some characters look fine, some are PS4 or even 3 levels of details. The performance mode is ridiculous, I don’t get how it can be that way. So the only answer is quality mode and that means 30fps.

I want to see the same energy they had for Starfield, but I don’t think we will.

1 Like

It kind of sounds like “performance mode” wasn’t even worth including as an option really.

2 Likes

I think saying it has PS3 level character models is a bit much. It’s not breaking new ground but I think it looks great.

Personally I don’t have an issue with needing to play at 30fps as long as it still looks and plays well. I play Forza Horizon and Jedi Survivor at 30fps and both play well at that frame rate. Not sure who you’re talking about with the energy towards Starfield, they’ve been explaining to people bitching about the cap and why it makes sense. Unless you’re talking about fanboys on the internet, but they don’t matter.

I can see the gaming community at large become more and more accepting of 30fps, especially as we see more and more games rely on that target.

2 Likes

Every major website felt obliged to post as a major headline that Starfield targets 30fps only. Somehow, the lack of an effective 60fps in FF16 mode does not bother the same press outlets.

4 Likes

What Strawman just said. Several websites had articles on it too. Yep fanboys as well, but I agree with you, they are irrelevant.

Why do you play FH5 in 30fps though, isn’t there barely any real difference between the two modes? Just some more foliage here and there? :slight_smile:

I’m really wondering if my low to mid-range PC is going to be anywhere near the system requirements for the eventual Steam version…

Those two aren’t even remotely comparable IMO, especially with how of touch most outlets are on the actual details on the performance side of things. I’ve been too busy with work to check out reviews of FF but I am curious on what is said about the performance mode, but at the end of the day I don’t see how it’s a big deal. There have been plenty of times reviewers have either glossed over or entirely missed performance hitches or issues I’ve seen in games and it was never a big deal before, so it’s not worth paying attention to now. Star Wars Survivor being a recent good example.

None of that is really relevant to the conversation on the tech in the game IMO. I didn’t see this concern or issue when Star Wars was released, so I don’t understand why it’s a topic now.

Regarding FH5 in 30fps, the draw in reduction was just a bit too much for me at 60fps. The foliage and LODs popped in just a bit too close to the camera, at least compared to 30fps mode, and the quality mode still looks and plays great. So I’m fine with it.

Out of curiosity, what are the specs of your PC?

1 Like

IGN made a 27 minutes interview with Todd Howard, where various aspects of the game and its developments where discussed. The game’s scope, mechanics, graphcs rendering, long development times etc. The only thing from that interview other outlets reported upon - 30fps only.

They reported on this news while playing (for a review) a major PS5 exclusive that does not have an effective 60fps mode.

3 Likes

I think it is important to actually watch the video. John spends 35 minutes explaining his thoughts in detail. He covers pretty much anything you would want to know.

Including that he thinks 30fps is disappointing, but quality mode is generally consistent 99% of the time. The dip it showed was like 2 seconds and it dropped to 28.

2 Likes

The frame rate was bound to be a major topic regarding Starfield because it was one of the areas that was never clearly outlined and because of the shit show that happened with Redfall. Reporting on something many were wondering about on Starfield, especially after Redfall, is not the same as writing an article about a game that anyone can play a demo for and see for themself.

Again, where was all this talk about Star Wars Survivor or is this just an issue because it’s regarding a PS5 exclusive? I didn’t see any articles about Star Wars’ performance and that was just fine.

Jedi Survivor got lambasted for its disastrous performance, on PC in particular.

1 Like

Quoting myself from an earlier thread:

Obviously it’s out of date, but I don’t have much of a sense of how out of date it might be.