Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Ok,

So John says the footage did not look smooth at all during the Direct. It’s not clear if that’s because there was a game problem, or if it was their capture method or both. Because some scenes did seem to run worse. Or a production mess up. It can be so many things, but the concern right now is can they actually even get to a stable 30? John says he feels like they might, given how important this title is, and MS is pouring a lot of effort into enduring that it’s as polished as can be.

I’m just hoping it’s because of their capture method or anything else. Because if it’s not, will that be addressed before release? It’s dropping in less than three months. Maybe it’s a day one patch thing. I’m surprised many here didn’t seem to see it, because watching it again I notice immediately how many scenes have this choppiness.

Fallout 4 on base Xbox One wasn’t 100% smooth at launch, so I would forgive a game of this size to drop frames here and there, but I hope they get it as consistent as possible. It’s just the one thing I am surprised about, wasn’t smooth last year, we heard about how MS sent in people to help, I guess I just expected a mostly smooth video.

I watched it again, and it still doesn’t seem particularly choppy to me. If I really focus I might see a few very minor framedrops, but not enough for it to be a bother for me at least.

3 Likes

You don’t see how the camera movement has these very brief hiccups when it rotates? It’s especially in the exteriors, I notice it immediately as soon as they show it ingame.

And the part DF cover, the interior gun fight, that has done real noticeable slow down. I was gonna say that the Xbox show didn’t have these issues, but that was a different video, even if it was in the same stream.

Not particularly no. I’ve rewatched the scene DF pointed out on my own and didn’t see anything particularly egregious.

5 Likes

So odd. Then maybe it’s my device. Could be TV or the YouTube app itself. I see it on both YouTube Xbox and TV app.

Ah well, that’s good to know because then it’s only the frame drops DF mentions in their latest video.

Same here plus there’s plenty of time to iron things out, ATG is there for a reason. :wink:

I don’t think Starfield will be a locked 30 like FH5

But I am expecting a performance like Elden Ring had at launch or little better

If we consider how games nowadays are never truly finished, as in how they keep getting patched, new content etc, they have indeed plenty of time, way post launch too. But if we look at from now till launch it’s not a whole lot of time. :wink:

Day one patch will likely smooth stuff out a lot too.

AFAIK frame-rate optimizations come in the last months of the development plus we don’t know how old is the build that was present in the direct. Also as I said ATG will help with optimization so I think it will be more than fine at launch. :wink:

3 Likes

I expect the captured footage is not from a single build, but from multiple builds across multiple weeks if not months. It simply takes too long to think they were re-capturing cool events on every new build, its just not going to be feasible.

2 Likes

Would love to see this frozen at the top of the screen in flaming letters for this (if not all) threads.

1 Like

If Starfied drops a few frames, not a big deal and I expect it too , be more of an issue if it’s a constant. I took more issue with what John Linneman said about the new FORZA and how it could run on Xbox One. Coming from a professional it was immature talk and also insulting to Turn 10 with what the team are doing with the new game

2 Likes

Is that disrespectful or immature to say ? I don’t think that’s a hot take or anything lol.

The team are working hard on a game and made the choice at the start of development to drop the Xbox One so they could offer true next/current generation fractures only for John Linneman to completely disrespect that at least Richard Leadbetter looked to correct John.

John Linneman seems too focused on how a game looks to what it’s having to do at a code level that we can’t visibly see on screen. Turn 10 is really going all out on the new Forza

1 Like

You bring up valid points. I’m more so just speaking to the fact that next gen only game doesn’t necessarily mean it can’t run on the previous gen consoles.

I’m sure DF will test it out themselves when the game releases.

I mean they were talking about it game design wise. Most games from this gen are very similar design wise to last gen. They did mention calculations though and that this could be unachievable on last gen.

It wasn’t a dig at Forza.

1 Like

One could say that about most games. There is nothing stoping a N64 from handling RE4 Remake game design wise but that’s taking away from what Capcom is doing and handling at a code level

DF seem to focus too much on just how a game looks and runs

1 Like

Thank you mate. Look at Shenmue on the DC, the Saturn could handle that game (and at one point did) that would be taking away from what SEGA AM#2 were having the DC handle at a code level that we couldn’t see on screen. Just having to handle what all the NPC’s were doing and where they were on the map on its own would taking loads of coding and CPU clocks

1 Like

But they were talking about the discontinuation of xbox one development by xbox game studios iirc and Forza is an upcoming xbox game studio game. I don’t think we sould read too much into it

I remember DF was complaining about Microsoft supporting the Xbox One for the first couple of years, so why make a fuss about if a game would have run on it now?

1 Like