Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Or maybe they will be part of another Game Stack Live presentation? The last were in March and August 2020 and April 2021. I don’t know when the next is planned.

2 Likes

Yeah game stack sounds possible, totally forgot about that

Yeah, those features are usually part of game stack presentations, this year we should see more about DirectStorage.

Kinda hope that stuff starts getting leveraged by the xbox studios soon.

1 Like

Betting on Turn10 to be first with Forza. Redfall, not optimistic about it, but I’m hopeful about Starfield at least leveraging DirectStorage

1 Like

Yeah, it should be about time to push these features forward.

I think, unfortunately, with Xbox development being tied to PC, adoption, or at least full utilization, of the new featureset could depend on adoption of Windows 11, the minimum spec PC, as well as Unreal Engine.

I’m also thinking the in-house engines should see more utilization first, for UE games, could take a while.

I believe DirectStorage will also be on windows 10 now.

Anyway, their first-party games shouldn’t have any problems implementing these features (if ready).

1 Like

The current-gen only titles shouldn’t. I’m thinking it might not be about the ability to implement them, rather what implementing them means for PC. How does the technology scale, does it scale? could PCs require specific SSD standards, or even more CPU power to for the decompression block compute, etc. Implementing them might mean less PCs would be able to play the games.

It doesn’t matter what PC needs because it’s completely unrealistic for everyone to have the same specs on PC, you just make it available and wait for everyone to catch-up to it.

That’s how it works on the PC front, at first it won’t be available for everyone but as time passes it’ll become standard. If you want the full experience with these features you could buy an Xbox :wink:

5 Likes

yup you take it like ray tracing, they can turn it on if they have the hardware. Otherwise there would be concessions to the game. Ideally all ssds need to be nvme gen 3 at least but that will take a few more years to become recommended spec as sata just started popping up as recommended spec. So yeah, innovate on the xbox side and pc users who want super instant loading or like zero pop in asset streaming will need an nvme storage eventually.

Do we actually know developers aren’t using Direct Storage/Velocity architecture? I would assume they are, but with much of it being software driven it’ll take time to maximize it (like anything else)

afaik the only known game announced to use direct storage is the next gen patch of witcher 3. I’ve not seen XVA used on any game to this day.

Witcher 3 next-gen release to push enthusiast PCs to their limits | TweakTown

DirectStorage isn’t ready yet last time I checked and SFS isn’t being used yet maybe because of cross-gen games.

Only VRS 2.0 has seen some implementation.

How would we even know?

I think it just hasn’t come to Windows yet.

It’s just that XVA would boost Series S to be able to play higher resolutions due to how the tech works with SFS and from all the first party releases, all tech in XVA were missing. This is an assumption on my side though

Also another example is Forza Horizon 5 loads faster on pc than on a series x and s which would not be the case if the series x and s already used directstorage

It isn’t being inplemented as whole through the ecosystem, I believe this should change this year though, this year is where next-gen games fully kick in.

XVA helps with decompression, lots of the data still needs to make its way through the CPU for processing. Not saying that’s what’s happening cuz who knows, just one possible reason.

Yeah, I don’t think we’ve really seen any games designed around streaming yet, which is where something like SFS really shows its benefit.

1 Like