Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

DF write up now says “There are reports of a variable refresh rate mode exclusive to Series X that unlocks the frame-rate on 120Hz screens but unfortunately, this was not functioning during the review period. It should be available soon and we’ll report back on how well it functions.”

2 Likes

Second comment, I don’t think he’s wrong here

1 Like

He’s not, from what I’ve seen the game is very much cross-gen in graphics department, nothing stands out particularly, 1440p@60fps without RT is fully within next gen consoles capabilities.

2 Likes

Shame that there is no 60 FPS option for the Series S…especially on a cross-gen title.

But then again, kudos to Techland for shipping on as many platforms as they did. For one independent studio, that’s pretty impressive.

Perhaps Techland will go back to PS5 and XSX and optimize further for higher resolution.

Oh damn =( I thought the day one patch fixed most of the bugs.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare one game to another in this way. We don’t know all the countless variables that effected the development of both games. What we do know is that Exodus was originally done before the pandemic while DL2’s development was done during the pandemic. This was also 4A’s second take at RT, so they were able to take what they learned from their first attempt and apply that knowledge when working on the enhanced edition, which they had 2 years to work on alone.

We also know that 4A had to worry about fewer platforms when working on the Enhanced edition, unlike Technland, who had to optimize for 8 platforms.

Considering the impact of the pandemic, where QA is impacted in a huge way, it’s not hard to see why selecting to a lower resolution that they knew would work well, likely cut down on how much QA needed to be done to reach a satisfactory performance level. Every other change they make would require them to run through their tests all over again and on a game of this size, that would be a huge undertaking.

We should also consider the demands of both games in terms of design. In DL2, the player can move at a much faster pace and the areas the player can reach is much less controlled by the designer due to the parkour design approach. In contrast, the player has a lot less freedom to where they can go and how fast it takes to get there in Exodus. This is of course on top of the efficiencies or inefficiencies that would apply to both engines used by both games. I think it’s worth noting that the more demanding areas in Exodus also hovered around 1080p. When optimizing for a game without DRS, devs will optimize for the demanding scenes, which will also impact the less demanding areas.

There’s also the fact that DL2 was self published by Techland where 4A had a publisher to fund for Exodus.

I can keep going on and on but I hope I’m doing a decent job explaining why it’s rarely appropriate to point to Game A and say that Game B should be able to do the same thing. No two games have the same development experience, resources, skill, priorities, etc. so to expect some games to match other games will only leave some people disappointed.

1 Like

Matty claims he had day 1 patch and it was still busted. But devs might have time to get a new day 1 patch in place maybe depending on how early reviewers were offering their feedback to the team I’d imagine.

The day one patch still hasn’t hit, so not sure why he thinks that. We got a small patch for a few issues but not the day one one yet. The only thing that previous patch did was attempt to fix a broken quest and turned co-op on finally. The big day one patch as far as I know hasn’t hit yet, as I haven’t had the game update in days.

2 Likes

Matty specifically said he got two patches, including one being the day 1 patch. /shrugs

It’s not out on Xbox. My game is version 1.0.2 which is the hotfix build from last Friday.

And I just took this screenshot on my Xbox

3 Likes

I assume he was on PC then? Not sure.

Oddly enough PC has been behind console on patches as that email talks about. They always called it the “day one patch on launch day” so I wasn’t expecting it until tomorrow at some point.

Here is his review where he mentions the patches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EmGDEjk7c4&t=

From their own press release. The patch is meant to hit tomorrow as I figured, so yeah I think Matty was just confused/mistaken on this one. The game does not have the day one patch yet.

3 Likes

ESO says he’s using the day 1 patch too. But apparently it’s not then?

Dying Light 2’s performance mode really isn’t good enough on the Series X.

Unless the “hotfix 1.0.2” patch was actually the “full 25gb day one patch” yet was only 1gb then no. They’re not on the day one patch on Xbox at least. I’ve emailed PR, hopefully they get back to me soon.

6 Likes

I hope we get to see Velocity architecture and SFS at next months GDC and also path tracing minecraft on series x. Excited to see what they have in store.

Thanks for the reminder. Just looked over all the session announcments. These here sound interesting:

• DESIGNING THE TERRAIN SYSTEM OF ‘FLIGHT SIMULATOR’: REPRESENTING THE EARTH from Asobo
  • ONE FRAME IN 'HALO INFINITE from 343
  • SHIFTS AND RIFTS: DIMENSIONAL TECH IN 'RATCHET AND CLANK: RIFT APART from Insomniac
  • THINKING LIKE PLAYERS: HOW ‘HALO INFINITE’S’ MULTIPLAYER BOTS MAKE DECISIONS from 343
  • BUILDING ‘ZETA HALO’: SCALING CONTENT CREATION FOR THE LARGEST ‘HALO’ EVER from 343
  • ‘PSYCHONAUTS 2’ DESIGN POSTMORTEM from Double Fine
  • DECONSTRUCTING THE COMBAT DANCE: DESIGNING MULTIPLAYER BOTS FOR 'HALO INFINITE from 343

I didn’t see anything about Velocity Architecture or Minecraft.

4 Likes

Well that’s sad, I guess they will take awhile longer to be implemented.