Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

I’m already seeing others complain about it being an underwhelming port as it lacks dynamics resolution, no 40 fps mode (120 Hz locked to VSync) and just slightly better draw distances.

5 Likes

Its really rich they want 10 bucks from you for a feature they advertised Uncharted 4 with in its initial trailer. And its not even 4k@60fps

6 Likes

Wow, really? That’s terrible.

You’d think this stuff would at least be Dynamic 4K with 60fps. So the games are 1080p then?

I had no idea most of the cloud games on Switch ran at 720p. :open_mouth: If MS can get their cloud service on Switch, it would be a huge improvement in IQ alone.

The games are 4K/30, 1440p/60, and 1080p/120. Makes sense when you consider the GPU power delta between the Pro and PS5. Still as they say in the video, the game could have benefited from a dynamic resolution to hit higher resolutions in less demanding areas. It’s one of the features ND really should add to their engine.

2 Likes

For DF standards this is a brief video

Details:

Series S is 1080p no matter what mode.

PS5 :

Performance mode is 1080p/60fps

Resolution mode is 1800p/30fps . No dynamic scaling, 1800p is the fixed target. The cost isn’t capping the framerate to 30fps.

Quality mode adds raytracing and AO, even raytraced torch lights when traveling through tunnels. 1080p/30fps.

Xbox Series X

Resolution mode is 1944p/30fps

The other two modes are the same as PS5

In scenarios with fine details, meshes, fences Series X will reduce visual noise on a 4K display.

Across all modes there’s parity with one curious difference. In the non raytracing modes performance and resolution PS5 and XSX render shadows differently. Often trees on PS5 are fully shaded while XSX and even S leave these trees lighter and with less shade.

Visually XSS holds up, but sadly no 60fps or raytracing modes.

Framerate wise it’s all the same across the systems. Dips here and there.

4 Likes

Don’t know what’s going on with WC on the games poor performance… According to DF the performance is locked to the respective modes expect for a water scene

It’s a good job done from techland. RT is also great.

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. I have briefly read the article and DF says the game is pretty much locked on the X.

Seems like Techland has done a pretty good job all round.

TLDW

1. all versions are very stable.
  2. xsx has around a 16% advantage in resolution mode.
  3. all other modes are locked at 1080p on ps5 , series x and s
  4. XSS only has one mode

The major talking point would be “what’s up with this gen consoles?” We are already at 1080 60fps this early in the generation? What the hell is going on.

well optimization will also get better as the gen goes forward, to early to say the consoles are underpowered. the consoles price to performance ratio is still better than any pc build until maybe the end of 2022. So I would say the consoles are fairly adequate for the next 5 years.

1 Like

Pandemic. Multiplatform development & optimization. PC, XB1, X1X, PS4, Pro, XSX, XSS, PS5 (multiple configurations & modes for a big open world interactive title).

Seriously. Consider not only the “powerful hardware” aspect, development and optimization is key.

3 Likes

I’m really glad I didn’t preorder DL2. Think I’m done buying any game unless it’s from Insomniac, Guerilla, or Naughty Dog now.

Any game at all or any game day 1?

Not sure if this is true or not but

https://twitter.com/Kirby0Louise/status/1488931523155922953?t=ScxPBk752fF-4fZy9cBMGg&s=19

1 Like

I think any game in general at this point. I’m too locked into the “service” aspect for TV, and games now I guess. If a game is over £40 I’ll seriously question if it’s worth my money over 3-4 months of streaming. I stopped buying DvDs about 10-12 years ago, and CDs about 15 years ago. It’s history repeating itself for me.

1 Like

I mean yeah, if you want to see how it reviews before buying a game, you should always wait.

I have some games my mind is set on buying, so whatever the reviews I would have bought it. Dying Light 2 is one of them. But yeah it’s more and more rare these days.

There’s no sure hit anymore. At least there’s a refund option.

Looking forward to getting my hands on DL2! Looks like they did a great job on all current gen platforms. Now the only question is what mode do I play it in? :thinking:

Yup, this is a huge part of it.

I also think it’s important to keep in mind that while CPU and IO speeds have seen huge leaps over last gen, the amount of memory and GPU performance have received a much smaller leap. So aspects like resolution are likely the first things to get scaled down to earn back performance where needed.

Yeah I can’t disagree with those here saying 1080p on XSX and PS5 is definitely disappointing. Especially after we’ve had a good amount of games already with higher resolutions and 60fps. Hell, doesn’t Halo Infinite go towards 120 in 1080p?

It’s interesting how the resolution difference in the resolution mode is the same as the GPU delta between the SX and PS5. I’m sure that’s pure coincidence but still stood out to me. Curious how well the last gen systems hold up. I remember DL1 was originally announced for the PS360, along with the X1 and PS4 versions, but was later scrapped. Hoping them sticking with cross gen supports works out for them. Will definitely check out the game on the 1S and 1X tomorrow.