Game Design: The Thread

Random indie game from Twitter:

This either could be real damn boring…or…it could be SUPER refreshing as a storytelling mechanic. Some neat customization aspects too.

This is a real interesting talk about player psychology:

Oh cool, shall give that a watch later, thanks!

1 Like

This is a good video that reflects some of my own thoughts from a more informed and thoughtful presenter. It’s one of the reasons I wanted this thread to exist. I don’t agree with all of it but the baseline point is that you can’t even have larger discussions about the state of games in an open and honest way without the toxic chatter online funneling the press, and thus the broader discourse, into a negative feedback loop.

That was great stuff, finally had some quiet time to watch over the weekend.

1 Like

After watching it I immediately started mapping out ways to try implementing some of those ideas into the STEM courses I teach (since we do so much online/virtual stuff now anyhow). I had heard a lot of it before but the way she outlined each area just seemed less esoteric than other presentations of the ideas.

Yeah just seemed easy to follow and understand.

3 Likes

Moon are geniuses.

1 Like

This is brilliant for a bunch of reasons.

2 Likes
1 Like

Forgotten all about this topic, sorry.

The GMTK Gamejam starts on friday.

Premiering Friday: The GMTK Game Jam 2021 Theme is… - YouTube

GMTK Game Jam 2021 - itch.io

This is a 48 hour game making marathon, focused on design, mechanics, and clever ideas. The jam runs from June 11th, at 7PM UK time , to June 13th, at 7PM UK time .

4 Likes

This is actually a real good read! Xbox Game Studios & Bethesda |OTXIV| Sarah Bond, From Game Pass With Love OT | ResetEra

1 Like

Since Psychonauts 2 is coming, this video is a must

3 Likes

Potential spoilers for Dishonored 2 (mild spoilers):

2 Likes

This channel has several interesting interviews with developers talking about their games and decisions

4 Likes

Never heard of that channel before now! Subbed! :smiley:

The guy from Milkman Conspiracy analysis released another video

2 Likes
3 Likes