FIA Formula One IOTI Season 2021

What would make it more exciting for you? Are you looking for fundamental changes to the racing or technical rules to bring the cars closer together?

1 Like

Both honestly, I want more than 3 people (let’s be real 1 person) to be able to fight for the championship. I know this hasn’t always been the case but I can probably tell you right now who is going to hit 1-2-3 and win the WDC for the rest of the season and even next season too really.

The cars need to be able to follow which seems to be the big thing for these upcoming regs which is good. Having Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes and McLaren all fighting within .500 of each other would be amazing, but probably never going to happen.

The thing is, if the cars were all really that close, we’d probably get even less overtaking. Most tracks are extremely bad.

Spain is a fairly boring track. Lol.

And we got Zandvoort, which will have 0 overtaking

1 Like

I was traveling all of Sunday, so I DVR’d the race. That was… not a good one, eh? When the one hour feature race of Formula 2 provides more excitement than the last 2 weekends of Formula 1 combined, you know you’ve got an issue. Unless tyres explode, cars give up, safety cars shake up the field or something, races simply provide little excitement this year. Not just because the last time the winner was not a Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari car happened in March 2013, but all races are decided at the start or at the first pitstop. The FIA needs to come up with something for 2021 ASAP because there’s currently 0 chances of it providing any meaningful drama or excitement. At least usually the winter break could be spent hoping the rivals catch up with the current winning team, but now even that’s out of the window.

In all fairness, there were a lot of cars pretty close to each other on pace. But the course is just not suitable for overtaking with current cars anymore, probably the second worst after Hungary in this regard.

Yeah, the midfield has been increasingly close these years, but it’s all kinda moot when half the tracks don’t allow them to overtake each other, tyres don’t allow them to stay on top of each other for more than 2-3 laps, and thus most action happens in the pits, or via absurd strategy calls. Such a cyclical issue that comes back, feels like going back to 2007. Back then, they managed to provide spectacle with a series of changes like the ban of traction control, the simplification of wings, the introduction of KERS and DRS, on top of the initially exciting prospect of Pirelli. At this point I’m not sure what they can try. Every regulation change aims at making the exhausts not destroy the car behind’s chances, but at the end of the day these solutions never work long-term and we get back to where we are.

I still mantain that one of the issues with Formula 1 remains that the brakes are too damn good considering the max speeds have not meaningfully changed for decades. Not only cars reach top speed quicker, they also manage to slow down in the blink of an eye, no longer needing 150-200m breaking areas after a straight to go through a chicane. When the car stops in 50 metres, the car behind can’t just attack when it’s 5 meters behind, because those 5 meters late brake will probably mean he’s in the gravel/wall. At the same time, dramatically increasing top speeds or intentionally making brakes worse are not sensible solutions, as they gravely impact the safety.

1 Like

What they have to solve is the aerodynamics. The cars just can’t exist in each others dirty air for long without losing huge amounts of downforce. There has been a dominant constructor through almost all eras of F1 as long as I have been a fan of the sport, it just happens to be Mercedes at the moment.

Race week <3

I’m going to pour one out for Williams, last of the garagists going away.

Wonder how long Williams will keep the Williams name. And for how long they’ll build their own cars.

It was seriously bound to happen they couldn’t keep it up for long. I really hope the name doesn’t go away :frowning:

I think the name stays. It is still connected with a lot of entries in the history books of the sport, and thus has value as a brand.

1 Like

Yeah you’re right, would be silly to get rid of such a good name because of the history.

Hope the Williams name remains. Hope it rains this weekend.

That’s about it. Not much else to hope for in this F1 season or the next :stuck_out_tongue:

lmao right, Vettel has the WDC locked down along with Ferrari taking the WCC it’s so obvious. :stuck_out_tongue: At least Spa is my fav track on the grid, I wonder how well the Renaults will go here seeing as their engine seems pretty good.

I hope we also have another tribute to Anthoine Hubert RIP buddy :sob:

1 Like

Yeah, Spa is always a good place to be at. Worst case scenario we see beautiful scenery and superb speeds. And of course amazing racing in the feeder series.

Crazy it’s been a year since Hubert left us. Still one of the wildest crashes I’ve ever seen, and all in all it could have gone much worse too.

2 Likes

Right it’s such a wonderful place, beautiful one of the tracks I want to go to for sure. A lot of good racing goes on that weekend super exciting.

Yeah that crash was horrible, I felt so sad that day and I usually never get too worked up over a death of like a celeb or someone famous but because it was a kid that wanted to be an F1 star and he was good enough for it most likely. The world can be cruel sometimes, the only upside to it is at least it happened with him doing what he loves. I just really feel for the poor family. All we can do is just race for him and make him proud. :slight_smile:

To me the most traumatic was probably Bianchi, as I’ve been a supporter of his since the feeder series. Seeing him go like that was just terrible. The only positive thing is that, as it often happens with motorsport deaths or injuries, it lead to better safety for the future. It’s absurd that in treacherous weather a tractor could just go into the gravel with a single yellow flag waved. This was fortunately changed, staff vehicles can only now enter the track if there’s VSC or SC. The yellow flag rule was, however, not changed since then, which is disappointing. The fact that drivers can just raise their foot from the throttle for a thousandth of a second if they see a yellow and the stewards deem that okay is sheer absurdity. They should go through the incriminated area a couple seconds slower honestly.

Yeah that was nuts, in those conditions it should’ve been a red flag imo.

Yup after that incident I don’t think they will be messing around with tractors on track again. We also got the Halo which I think they said wouldn’t have helped him in that situation but amazing enough helped his best friend Charles at Spa 2 years back which is just crazy. Like you said the only postivie from stuff like this is the improvement of safety for others for years to come. It’s exactly like how planes were extremely dangerious but now are probably the safest transport of all. Not saying the sport will get to this point but every single little improvment gets us closer to a much safer sport and that’s something we can all cheer about.