Everwild completely rebooted and targets 2024 - Gregg Mayles has taken over the project

Just make Everwild like a Viva Pinata game, but in which you actually play a character and take care of animals, plant stuff and build shelters to attract new creatures. That’s your gameplay right there.

Add some characters interactions, camp building and coop and I can already see it being a hit like SoT.

And it doesn’t have to be about hunting or combat, just imagine Stardew Valley or Slime Rancher, but with big fantasy creatures. That’s what I would like to see from this game.

4 Likes

I hope Louise is still on board.

Mayles is a great director. He directed all 3 Banjos and SoT. Also served as lead designer on Viva Pinata and DKC.

6 Likes

Would like some sense of urgency with a story to be honest. But I’d also be okay with what you describe. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Tbh Rare Team deserves the time they think its appropriate for Everwild (even if Im not high on the project). Sea of Thieves is a gargantugan IP for xbox and they have more than earned their right.

4 Likes

Yes, she is still the executive producer.

1 Like

We need some peaceful games too, for kids to play with their parents. :slightly_smiling_face:

Really, there’s a lot of potential for a AAA peaceful-fantasy-creatures-exploration-building-and-gardening game. Rare have the talent and team to make some new stuff, the kind of game with an untapped audience. They already did that with SoT, I think they can do it again.

3 Likes

Fully agree!

1 Like

Ah it’s fine… take your time

1 Like

The problem when you give a studio too much freedom. They end up getting confused

Nailed it.

Make it a pokemon without the combat where you just collect mythical creatures from across a region, building shelters, controlling weather and growing plants and stuff.

Have tons of different animals and they help you build stuff too. Water types help put out fires, strength types build things and so on…

Pokemon + planet zoo + God game

2 Likes

I dont think its that. Just had a concept that probably didnt translate into the game they thought it would be. Hence the inability to properly explain what it was over the past 3 years.

I guess the real problem here was announcing a game that wasn’t nearly ready for it.

3 Likes

That too but xbox needed to show games these past few years.

1 Like

Working on a project is never a straight line, especially working on games. Actually, it means they’ve done their job by rebooting when they felt it was needed. MS has nothing to do with this, only showing that trailer too soon, yeah.

4 Likes

This is the main take away. This honestly happens all the time, but we don’t hear about it usually because the projects are never announced.

Huh, alright. I’m willing to wait. Just make a good game and I’ll be satisfied.

Yeah this project could get rebooted many times, if it wasn’t announced it would be completely fine.

Just hope they stick with no combat. 95% of games already have combat. For games with that look it’s actually 99,9%

2 Likes

One thing to take note is that this apparently happened last year. The important thing is that they have realised it wasn’t working and essentially starting over so the game is slated for at least a 4 year development cycle.

5 Likes

Oh they totally made the right decision, hope the game development goes smoothly now.

1 Like