Ever Wanted Pokemon On Xbox? We Now Have Something Better! (Nexomon: Extinction)

So I was debating whether to wait til I finished the game to make a thread or not, and I now have 11+ hours and decided to just make it now. I’ve been wanting a great Pokemon type game on Xbox for a while now. Nexomon: Extinction FULLY delivers on it and more. It rips practically everything straight from Pokemon with almost no care about being sued, lol. The story is slightly different and actually a bit more interesting to me. You get your first Nexomon and you get a cool list to choose from each Element.

You find out there are “Tyrants” who are giant, overpowered Nexomon that are wreaking havoc. You have to stop them, but there’s a bit more to it that I don’t wanna spoil. They also break the fourth wall a few times, and there’s been a few times I’ve actually laughed at some of the dialogue.

Gameplay is the exact same as pokemon. Bushes actually move when there’s a Nexomon to capture, so you don’t really have random battles when walking through grass. There are caves where there are random battles, but so far that’s been the only places with them. Also, in these caves, there are Vaults which you need keys to open, but they contain “Great Treasures.”

Trainers are scattered about the areas as well, just like in Pokemon. You have a Poke-center type place to heal and switch out Nexomon, and there’s stores to buy Pokeballs that they call Nexotraps. The twist is, there are Nexotraps for each element to improve your chances of catching certain Nexomon. There’s over 300 Nexomon to capture so far, and within my 11+ hours, I’m just shy of having 100 of them. When trying to catch one, they bring up a cool stat page that shows your percentage of catching the Nexomon. If you use a Nexotrap with the same element, it increases your chance of capturing by a lot. You can also throw food out to the Nexomon to increase your chances as well. Status effects, like Freeze, also improve your chances. It’s really neat and a cool different take on capturing monsters.

As for your Nexomon, they have 4 “Core” slots that you can equip them with. Cores contain things like Atk+, Def+, XP+, Gold+, Status Ailment protection, HP+, etc. There’s 3 levels for each core, each giving you more of a boost in the higher tiers. There is a separate XP Core that lets your Nexomon gain a Percentage of XP even if they didn’t battle. So for those of you that hated ALL your pokemon getting XP even when they didn’t fight, this lets you have that option of giving them no XP unless they fight. And for those of us that do like the Pokemon getting XP if they don’t fight, we have the boosts :slight_smile:.

So far, I am extremely impressed with how much this game has for such a small price tag ($20 for US peeps). I am thoroughly enjoying the game a lot more than I thought I would. So far, I’m having more fun with it than I had with Pokemon Sword honestly. I can’t wait to get further in the game, and I know I have a lot more left. Please check this game out if you liked Pokemon. I had no clue it even existed til I randomly saw it on the Xbox reddit lol.

16 Likes

Terrific write-up! I hadn’t heard of this game, but it sounds like something worth looking at. I like to dabble with Pokémon occasionally, and I’d love to play a similar game on my Xbox, so I’ll take a look.

1 Like

Thanks :smiley:! This would be a perfect xCloud game! Now with Console Streaming being a thing in the new Xbox Mobile App, I decided to buy a Razer Kishi just for this game lol. You can save any time, so it’s perfect for quick sessions on the go. Also being turn-based, latency won’t matter in the slightest. My Kishi gets here tomorrow and I can’t wait. Hope you enjoy the game if you do get it! I’ll answer any questions that I can if you, or anyone else, has any. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Game streaming was my immediate thought, lol. Sounds like the perfect game for weekend mornings where you don’t feel like getting out of bed. I’m definitely going to look into it.

1 Like

How does it compare to Ooblets?

I actually totally forgot about that game lol. I haven’t played it so I honestly can’t compare it, I’m sorry. Just compare Ooblets to Pokemon, and that’s your answer. It’s seriously Pokemon in almost every single way besides name lol. Just kinda better imo, and 1/3 of the price, lol.

And sold! I’m really looking forward to Temtem so this will at the very least scratch that 'mon itch. Thanks OP!

2 Likes

Bought it! thanks for bringing this game to light for me can’t wait.

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning this. My son loves pokemon so this might be a game he enjoys. And I will probably give it a shot too since I always enjoy a good monster taming game.

2 Likes

This actually looks way better in terms of visuals than Pokemon Sword/Shield lol

2 Likes

It indeed does! Can’t say I’m a huge fan of the Pokémon formula, but the game is cheap enough to be tempting me. I might give it a shot.

2 Likes

I impulse bought Nexomon at launch and I’ve been having a blast! I’ve por around 13 hours into it and the story is actually good!

1 Like

This is pretty cute. I’m a big Pokemon fan but I’ve been really disappointed by their efforts lately. I’d give this a miss normally but seeing as how it’s only $20…

1 Like

Nice OP. Sounds like I might have to give this a try.

1 Like

I completed sword on the switch a while back, it started good, but I think that was the intial excitement over the fact it was finally a proper Pokemon game on console.

The last game I had played prior was crystal, what I much preferred, but I was also younger and a Pokemon fan back then.

Playing through sword, it is clear it is literally baby’s first rpg, it is beyond easy, literally a gateway game to genre I’d say.

Sadly I didn’t recognise any of the Pokemon in sword, they all have this round/bland samey look.

I actually think the designs above look in nexomon look a lot better than a lot of the sword monsters.

Anyway, I recently finished Ni No Kuni, what I also thought was a much better Pokemon like game, if you have a switch, playstation or pc, I highly recommend giving it a go (just another Pokemon like game suggestion) . :slight_smile:

I may grab Nexomon, I think it’s only £16 for those of us in the uk :)!

1 Like

I really enjoyed Ni No Kuni as well! Sad that the 2nd one was nothing like the first one. :frowning:

Wait, is Ni No Kuni a monster-catching game?!

The first one is, yes. Wasn’t a huge fan of the story or most of the characters, but the battle system and capturing all the monsters is something that almost never gets old for me lol. The 2nd one is nothing like the first tho. :confused:

1 Like

That’s really good to know! The first one has been on my radar for quite a while now, but this information moves it way up ahead on my wishlist!

1 Like

Picked it up earlier today because this thread, been a blast so far. I like the pacing of the battles.

1 Like