Embracer Group has entered into an agreement to acquire Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal, Square Enix Montréal (~1,100 employees) and a catalogue of IPs including Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, etc (total up $300M)

Good thing they went to embracer. We might finally see a Deus Ex sequel.

If a new Sleeping Dogs comes it’s reason to throw a goddamn party. Been so angry at SE for messing that up.

3 Likes

WB and Eidos are small fry though, they want the biggest.

I mean PD being an FPS, they could easily put Tryarch or Infinity Ward on it (between COD) if they need to. Assuming they own them at that time.

Has to be a given.

as much as we’re all kinda shell shocked by this news, it’s the best thing to have happened to these studios. SE was gonna bury them any moment now. And Embracer explicitly mentioned they care about singleplayer AAA experiences (something these studios have been known for) and most of games under Embracer lack any sort of bullshit SE was employing as of late, so I’m not that concerned about this. In fact, Deus Ex has a far bigger chance to return now. Hopefully Embracer got Sleeping Dogs as well.

10 Likes

In that case MS buys embracer next year.

Nah.

1 Like

I’m very sure it doesn’t work like that

It’s important to remember that MS seems now interested in acquiring mega-popular IPs (Call of Duty, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Candy Crush, DOOM, etc…) with a broad appeal. To me, it seems the strategy is different than in 2018-2019 when they were acquiring smaller studios with almost no IPs most of the time.

The catalogue of IPs of Square Enix’s western division doesn’t fit much. I think the only IP of value at this point is Tomb Raider but the last one underperformed and Bethesda is working on Indiana Jones. The other ones are dead or forgotten.

2 Likes

Yup. They want the house hold names and nothing from here is any value if I think rationally.

God dam is it hard though as I love this IP

I would have said the same if someone had suggested they get Crystal Dynamics who they didn’t own to work on a first party shooter for them but here we are.

1 Like

6 Likes

Only 300million$?How could this be even possible…I can’t believe MS failed locking this one.

Still can’t believe they got all of that for 300M it make no sense & here i was thinking that CD & Tomb Raider alone is worth atleast 500M and that not including all the other IP’s along with Eidos

Saw some tweets of folks speculiating that SE is downsizing so that Sony can buy the rest of them. Sony clearly not giving a damn about the western studios. That doesn’t make sense to me though, how would they not want Tomb Raider and these studios?

But I can absolutely see Sony buying SE Japan.

3 Likes

I was thinking of this to but I thought Sony wouldve wanted the TR IP

3 Likes

Maybe that’s the big one Sony are after based on the rumours but I agree if I were acquiring Square Enix I would have gone all out and got both the western studios and SE Japan. On the plus side at least with Embracer they’re still allowing Crystal Dynamics to work with the Initiative plus I don’t think they’ll make any game exclusive.

1 Like

And honestly it wouldn’t be a bad thing, i’d rather them purchase Square and try to fix that mess than just pay for exclusivity from whatever they created.

Lately it really felt like Square Enix was just developing loads of games at the same time just for the exclusivity deals or something, the amount of games they announced lately was weird.

1 Like

If $300M is actually a very cheap price for this acquisition, and there were other parties interested in it, I wonder, why companies aren’t jumping on it?

MS, Sony, Tencent, EA, T2, …

5 Likes