Embracer Group has entered into an agreement to acquire Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal, Square Enix Montréal (~1,100 employees) and a catalogue of IPs including Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, etc (total up $300M)

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1521010532655923200

Embracer Group AB (“Embracer”) has entered into an agreement to acquire the development studios Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal, Square Enix Montréal, and a catalogue of IPs including Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain and more than 50 back-catalogue games from SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS CO., LTD. (“Square Enix Holdings”). In total, the acquisition includes ~1,100 employees across three studios and eight global locations. The total purchase price amounts to USD 300 million on a cash and debt free basis, to be paid in full at closing. Embracer has secured additional long-term debt funding commitments for this and other transactions in the pipeline. The company today reiterates its current Operational EBIT forecast for FY 21/22, FY 22/23, and FY 23/24. The transaction is subject to various regulatory and other external approvals and is expected to close during the second quarter of Embracer’s financial year 22/23 (July-September 2022).

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1521017861803704321?t=gTTzKXSm8PxqNukXHyFklA&s=19

7 Likes

300 million is a pretty good price for what Embracer’s getting. Would be nice to see all three studios shine again under a new company but time will tell. Xbox-related but I hope this doesn’t impact PD’s development all that much.

6 Likes

Bittersweet news.

On one hand I’m glad this IP is finally away from SE, on the other, I’d have preferred MS to get them.

9 Likes

Yo wtf ? Lmfaooooooooo

2 Likes

My god NOOOOO :frowning:

And this is literally a steal

2 Likes

Only $300M . Guess ABK really is affecting MS’s acquisitions ability for the time being .

13 Likes

It seems MS were rather

A. Hands are tied with Activision.

B. Caught with thier pants down.

Thats crazy everyone thought MS was a locked for them

1 Like

But they should’ve gotten it before ABK if it was apparently this easy

1 Like

Square being far away from these studios is all that matters.

7 Likes

NGL I’m actually so damn pissed with this

How is all that only 300M wtf & atleast it will stay multiplatform & also shows that Square is willing to sell

1 Like

The deal is done? Or there is a chance for another company to enter like what happened with T2 / Codemaster deal.

Sony could have gotten them too, that would have meant much worse news.

Bit worried about what MS can really do in terms of other acquisitions while ABK is ongoing.

6 Likes

Square wanted to sell its western division all along like some of us said, with the IP too. Damn

2 Likes

I don’t think Microsoft’s plan is acquiring everyone.

And if ABK is stopping Microsoft, what’s stopping the others?

Everyone else can afford $300M.

4 Likes

Codemasters went for around $1.2B, Bungie for $3.2B and Square Enix just sold most of their western division and over 50 IPs for just $300M. lol

6 Likes

With the TR IP too holy shit

1 Like

Embracer really turning into a beast huh. I was thinking of this yesterday evening and it didn’t feel really all that crazy. Makes me wonder what else they got their eye on but I doubt some other company would acquire Embracer to get all of their things.

MS will just buy Embracer that is the 4D chess move lol

1 Like