Embracer Group has entered into an agreement to acquire Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal, Square Enix Montréal (~1,100 employees) and a catalogue of IPs including Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, etc (total up $300M)

Clearly MS can’t acquire anyone else at the moment or they would have grabbed this

1 Like

I was just about to bring up Sony kinda surprised they didnt get them at least MS has ABK going on right now

This is pretty damn cheap honestly. SE had no interest in helping their western developers. CD is developing Perfect Dark so it will be interesting if they let them continue to make those deals.

Supreme commander 3

That Activision deal had better go through. Fucking missed out on SE western branch. Ugh. Bad timing.

5 Likes

What a great price. A lot of talented Devs that have been mismanaged along with some great IP.

There’s something seriously strange about the deal. Folks will say Microsoft dropped the ball but what about the other players? Are we saying playstation, tencent, take 2, EA and the other players also didn’t think all that wasn’t worth it?

3 Likes

Embracer out here making money moves on a budget . I see you Embracer :philwins:

3 Likes

Bro couldn’t have MS told Square to wait up and they’ll pay more, even $1B seems like a great price for tall that

It really is insane cheap for all those studios and IP.

First thing that came to my mind was that Microsoft has their hands tied up with the ABK deal because this looks like something they would’ve been in for without a doubt, they even like the Tomb Raider IP and have made it exclusive before, I bet they didn’t do it because they have to tread lightly with the ABK deal and all the drama surrounding it, very disappointing, I always wanted Crystal Dynamics.

1 Like

Clearly Bungie’s deal is stopping Sony from acquiring more studios, otherwise why didn’t they get it? /s

2 Likes

Sony could be busy finishing the acquisition Grubb was talking about.

Well at least it wasn’t Sony. (Surprisingly as i was told that they were on a spree as well) But it sucks i wanted MS to get the Tomb Raider IP/Crystal Dynamics even before Square got them originally. Then the opportunity comes up again and it still doesn’t happen. Ugh…

3 Likes

Guess we never going to get GOTG 2 .

Yeah, it would have solved them not having a big AAA third person action adventure instantly. Plus having tremendous IP like Deus Ex, LoK and Tomb Raider. I wonder if insiders will/can tell us what happened. Seems to me they just didn’t want to risk anything for ABK.

Do wonder how much they can do with WB now.

I get that nothing else beats owning the biggest gaming franchise but I do wonder if Microsoft maybe went too big with ABK sometimes, they probably could’ve bought this and a some more smaller publishers on Bethesda’s range without many issues and even make said games exclusive without many issues which apparently they won’t or can’t do with COD, now there’s a chance that they have their hands tied up while the ABK deal is being reviewed and isn’t going to buy anything until the deal closes, is it possible that other publishers are taking note of this and are making moves while Microsoft is busy battling to get ABK…?

Why not? Embracer can just make a deal with Marvel, can’t they?

2 Likes

Call of Duty was an opportunity that MS simply couldn’t miss.

On the contrary, Deux Ex and Tomb Raider are dead (or underperfoming) IPs.

5 Likes
2 Likes

We’re likely to see Deus Ex coming back, but how about a great LoK game again? Oh my.