Elden Ring |OT| Rise Tarnished & Become The Elden Lord (of the dance!)

Souls games weren’t that hard, they were really cheap. Sekiro was legitimately hard, but you could always outlevel stuff in Souls games and power through it.

1 Like

The biggest question of all for me is whether the open world enhances the typical FromSoft level design, or harms it. Does the game sustain a sense of wonder throughout, with meaningfully different and surprising content to discover across the entire map, or does it fall victim to the usual open world crutches of repetitive mechanics and copy/pasted content, where ‘Oooh, a hidden Korok!’ becomes, ten hours later: ‘Oh, ok, another Korok puzzle’.

And while I understand that isolated portions of the world will resemble Souls levels we’re used to - a Sen’s Fortress here, a Tower of Latria there etc - have they managed to integrate across the whole of the map that sense of an interconnected world that frequently and unexpectedly loops back on itself?

1 Like

Interestingly enough, Sekiro once the parry is mastered, the game became trivial for me. But of course mastering that deflect is the biggest challenge lol. And learning the patterns of course. But I still feel the limited mobility/aggression and the more meticulous nature of Souls combat makes it harder to get used to lol.

Ok here are the things I really want to know from a review of this game:

How long did it take to beat? How’s the structure of the game, especially the open world aspect (more breath of the wild like, more ubisoft style openworld or something new alltogether), also did you feel immersed in this world?

How is the presentation? Sekiro was a very beautiful game with immaculatly crafted cutscenes.

How is the story, how present is it compared to other from software games?

Loading times?

How’s the combat? How deep does this game get?

How does this game fare for new players of from software games?

Idk . I just skimmed through that list and prisoner just stood out . Ill dive into the deets while playing the game .

1 Like

Yep. Prisoner looks like a Berserk character fr lol. Then again most Fromsoft characters do.

1 Like

Yup . Griffith .

1 Like

Prisoner is gonna be my starting class as long as that iron mask isn’t permanent! Presumably it’s just an equippable helm like any other.

I’ve got under a week with the xbox version for review purposes so I’m not sure I’m going to beat it, just to get that one out of the way :doge:

3 Likes

I know you are under NDA, but do you know why some games have longer review periods than others and do you think that most reviewers will have a review ready for when the embargo lifts?

It’s just up to when the dev/pub is ready to push it. Halo was a full month out for campaign, Far Cry 6? A week, Dying Light 2 and HFW gave two weeks. No set pattern, each game has a ton of factors into when codes are ready for it, and that can even vary by platform.

3 Likes

6 Likes

The difficulty of the Souls games is way exaggerated but they are still way more challenging than the vast majority of AAA games plus being more limited in mobility and more methodical don’t make them cheap, you can avoid the vast majority of the “cheap” situations (like traps I imagine) if you are focused, observative and not running around YOLO like a headless chicken.

1 Like

Since none of the trailers really showed it we shouldn’t expect a option to immediately be able to invite a friend as co op partner, right? This likely will be exactly like Souls where you use the summon signs?

Friend of mine would love to co-op straight away, but I couldn’t promise him it would work exactly as he wanted.

Personally I’m probably gonna wait with buying, I’m getting Cyberpunk today and that will take me plenty of time for sure.

From is yet to put up any giant dragon statues, or decorate entire sides of buildings

4 Likes

yeah its still needlessly more steps than it needs to be lol but I heard they’ve made it slightly easier. Now I don’t play co-op in this games as of yet so no idea how much that is true.

1 Like

Just waiting on my code from Newegg.

Trying so hard not to jump in on this. Im telling myself “I don’t need it” like SpongeBob lol.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Why wouldn’t you need it?