Elden Ring |OT| Rise Tarnished & Become The Elden Lord (of the dance!)

Fall damage is not absent, you still take damage but it requires about two or three times the height (in the CNT at least).

Oh thank you for the in depth write up. Seems like Elden Ring will be much more of an RPG rather than the action heavy Sekiro. I hope I wonā€™t be overwhelmed by the RPG mechanics, I just want to explore the intriguing world and overcome awesome fights. I will definitely miss the Sekiro parry system, beating Genichiro the first time was one of the best feelings ever in a game for me. You felt like you have grown up. So good

1 Like

Not saying anything about the review build, just from the CNT itā€™s quite the mix of more accessible inventory stuff but more dynamic combat. pretty sure my byline will contain the words ā€œDark Sekiroulsā€ because the CNT certainly felt like adding a bit of Sekiroā€™s learnings into a gigantic open world souls RPG.

2 Likes

Then you will be good, besides if you have any questions weā€™ll be here for help (though Iā€™m sure you will manage just fine). I am not a big RPG guy myself too but I love From games, you can beat the games without leveling up your character at all so stats can matter as much as you want them to matter in a way.

Also ER is supposed to be more streamlined in terms of each systems (which is a good thing) so this will help you too.

2 Likes

Yeah I already have a question. Thank you.

As far as I understand you will be able to choose your character at the start of the game. Does this choice effect the rest of the game. Do each of these play differently? Or can you always spec your character throughout the game as you like or does the choice only affect the beginning of the game?

Also which Character should I choose if I like Sekiros kind of combat.

Found this overview, but Iā€™m still not sure how this effects the game overall.

directly from the heavily NDAā€™ed review guide

yikes

2 Likes

The starting class doesnā€™t affect the rest of the game, you can always change your specs (and most likely there will be again an item to completely respec if you want). If you want to be mobile with an emphasis on dodges and have fast weapons Dexterity is the stat that you should go for so I guess Warrior is a good start.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not under NDA and donā€™t know where this is from.

2 Likes

I get it. I mean theres something great about everyone playing it around the same time. But with ohysical copies and people having to wake up at 5 am to play itā€¦yeah its not ideal.

1 Like

Think Iā€™m going to focus on magic, fast weapons and maybe the odd bow or two, so Prisoner looks like the best starting class. Iā€™d rather start from scratch at level 1, but Wretch already wasting 10 points each on Strength and Faith will bother me.

All Iā€™ve seen are the original CG trailer, part of the first gameplay trailer (through my hands - spoilerific!) and the odd snippet from the network test. And that Starting Classes page @Khalid117x posted. FromSoftware is completely unparalleled at creating these forlorn fantasy-medieval worlds brimming with discovery and adventure, and I am excited beyond description to immerse myself in this gigantic new one. One week!

1 Like

Too late

From Software is sending some giant reptiles to take you to Senā€™s Fortress

4 Likes

I hope the forced repetition and back tracking is kept to a minimum. I hated that about all the souls like games. I do not find killing the same enemies and back tracking through the same areas over and over again fun.

1 Like

Welp, from the closed network test there is a big emphasis on exploring new areas and if you need to go back and forth the fast travel system is excellent! Every fast travel point/bonfire equivalent you find is only a few seconds a way on the new consoles or a PC with an SSD.

3 Likes

Nobody does game design like From

Will Xbox have a midnight launch at each users local time (i.e trip to new Zealand) or is it a global launch ?

Iā€™d rather buy this on steam but steam always has global launch timesā€¦ Xbox would let me play earlier potentially!

Got new lens for my glasses so I can see the game in its full glory, but it looks like the doctor fucked up the left eye prescriptionā€¦ going back tomorrow to check it out

I want to have a cool armor, use sword and shield, magic and be stealthy when needed. I think I need a Sekiro-like build as well

2 Likes

Windows Central is stating itā€™s a local midnight launch, I do know others stated it was global. So Iā€™m unsure

Elden Ring launch time: When you can play, preload, download size, and more | Windows Central

1 Like

oooooh thanks for the clarification, cuz literally every video I saw mf fell from great heights and not get any damage outside a short stagger. I didnā€™t get to learn these cuz Iā€™m on PC and didnā€™t even get the CNT. :sob:

But yeah, thatā€™s still much better than in souls games lol.

1 Like

you wonā€™t be. The stats and all that bs will drown away into the background few hours in, and you can get past most encounters with just playing the game the same way you played Sekiro, by getting better at the combat itself and learning the enemy patterns. The stats will only aid so much in really specialized builds, and maybe if youā€™re planning for PvP.