E3's digital event may be cancelled according to Jeff Grubb

Im thinking they just do deep dives from now on.

1 Like

Jeff or Geoff ? Iā€™m confused.

Jeff Grubb do is Game Mess which is reporting on some of the smaller stuff happening in the industry and give dates in advance, so he put the spotlight on these events which is really appreciated as itā€™s hard to follow whatā€™s happening sometimes.

Geoffā€¦ is doing his Keighley stuff, his Summer Game Fest.

Does anyone think Xbox wonā€™t have their big show around June, July or actually earlier? They have Starfield, that alone begs for a showcase.

When am I supposed to use off days if thereā€™s no E3. This is a disaster.

Fixed

Fire Elmo GIF

Iā€™ll guess that work prepping for E3 digital already started for Xbox. Iā€™d guess a roughly similar timeline for a summer showcase. Iā€™d guess it may even drift a bit later if theyā€™re fine tuning thing without the pressure of E3s date.

1 Like

Man, I sure hope not. I donā€™t really care about ā€œE3ā€, or the ESA, but I absolutely love having a week dedicated towards all of this stuff. It was legitimately (and still could be!) my favourite time of the year. You had people tuning in who hadnā€™t been active in months, non-gaming channels and folks tuning in, the cringe compilations, man all of it was just so much fun.

Friggen covid.

6 Likes

The Xbox show could be one of those things that gets added to SGF. But it wonā€™t make any difference to me, as long as they just have a normal show.

Canā€™t all these companies like SE, EA, Ubi etc just still hold their shows like always?

Thatā€™s the hope. But Iā€™m worried without any formal E3 structure, weā€™d get MS one week. EA 2 or three weeks later. Ubi maybe a month before, etc.

Yeah, far from ideal.

I donā€™t know why you guys love it all so compressed. I like having something new to look forward every week or two. With the old E3 format I was good for like one (or at most 2) conferences and got tired of it.

1 Like

E3 alive or dead, im hoping that all gaming showcases are done in June. I hated that spread out shit in 2020. For Xbox, Microsoft should have a minor Spring showcase, then the major showcase in June, Gamescom in late August, TGS in late September, X022 in late October/early November and then TGA.

Xbox should hold its own fest. I know Phil wants to meet and greet fans from around the world. I would go to one if it happens.

While Iā€™m not a fan of the ESA, I always did enjoy E3. Will be sad when there is no more Christmas for gamers mid-summer.

4 Likes

I agree. I always took a week off for it too, heh.

2 Likes

Same lol. Itā€™s the one time a year I try to take a week off. Helps from a coverage POV too.

2 Likes

I guess it can be pretty hard always trying to come up with some mic drop moments every year, but man is it fun when it happens. A lot of memorable moments, good and bad always come out of E3.

1 Like

It just helps make the entire time special. We always get some kind of gaming news each week, but E3 was when weā€™d get hit after hit. I remember for years I would spend the day after the press conferences showing all the exciting trailers to my friends and family that arenā€™t as into the hobby as I am.

And (though I consider this a guilty pleasure,) the reaction videos!

4 Likes

I hope in-person E3 returns in the future when its safe. After this break I think people will yearn for social contact, experiencing conferences communally (nothing beats a unanimous reaction, whether positive or negative, as feedback for the presenters), and the ability to play demos together and to talk about them with their peers.

Well I donā€™t agree with Keighleyā€™s drive to have the video game industry mirror the movie industry, heā€™s a good organizer. He can take a concept and get all the resources to turn it into a reality.

Few would have the legitimacy to do that and fewer would have the experience. I suspect that even fewer would have the energy to do it.

So if thereā€™s anyone who could convince major publishers and hardware makers to time their digital shows in the same week I figure it would be him, if not the software consortiums these companies belong to.

2 Likes

This makes me so sad. I fucking despise Summer Game Fest. Iā€™ll miss E3 and all the excitement surrounding it.

1 Like