E3 Returns in 2023 to LA Convention Center with ReedPop

Last year, Far Cry 6, BF 2042 and Diablo 2 Resurrected were shown. That’s three games. And Ara is not an AAA $100m+ budgeted game. Come on.

I dunno why people care about where multiplatform games are shown lol

1 Like

Riot games is a Huge AAA announcement.

Diablo 4 is AAA game shown.

Partnership with Kojima is a Huge AAA announcement.

Ark 2 is a Huge AAA showing.

Once again you’re overlooking and discounting what was shown just because you don’t care for them. The Riot partnership is going to be bigger than any AAA game announcement that you like for what it does for Microsoft Gaming.

Ara is listed on the job postings for Oxide as an aaa game. It may not be 100 million dollars, but it just shows that there isn’t really a good standard definition of the term. Either way, it looks like it will be a high quality project, and while it’s clearly not for you, it’s a tad irritating to see you constantly dismissing everything you aren’t interested in as though it’s worthless. I don’t play half of what we see most years but I don’t put that down as them doing a bad job marketing, I see it as other people liking games I’m not interested in and I move on.

What if you stopped watching the whole show and just started watching trailers for specific games you are interested in after the fact? Maybe that would make the experience better for you, because the trend appears to be Xbox wanting to show as wide a portfolio as possible, not something aimed narrowly at just core gamers like they used to do. Personally I think this is exactly the right move for them if they’re trying to show gamers that are usually ignored (pc, mobile, casual, non shooter fans) that there’s a place for them in Xbox, but it might mean showing fewer things you want to see. They can’t grow the numbers by constantly only targeting the people who would always have bought a console, they have to be realistic and find games for the people who never would have bought one before and still may not.

Also this particular year, it does seem like a good 25 % or more of games that intended to release aren’t making it, but eventually this trend will stop. I would like them to keep focusing on things coming soon, because this way the games get the attention they need closer to launch, and it might make things a bit easier for devs who aren’t positive when their game will launch to not get harassed by “fans” for years for showing too early.

Also for third party aaa games, Diablo 4 got a date and did show gameplay. That’s probably the biggest third party game coming out in the next year from a budget perspective.

3 Likes

It’s definitely not for me but I never dismissed or said anything bad about the game like it being worthless. I have zero interest in games like Banjo and Killer Instinct yet even I will say that they should have been brought back already. Ara should exist and I have no issue with it or other games existing that are of no interest to me. I simply ignore/skip them. And all I said was that I don’t view it as an AAA game. Nothing more and nothing less.

Nah. I always watch every showcase. I’m a gamer and love watching showcases. My biggest issue was that Microsoft should have tweeted out a few days beforehand that the showcase was going to focus on the next 12 months like they did a few days ago for Gamescom. This way, I could have adjusted my expectations to where I would then know that im not seeing Fable, Avowed, Contraband, etc. because they’re past June 2023. I don’t believe they wanted to say this because they knew how the hardcore like myself which are those who are on Twitter and forums would have reacted so instead, they just said what the showcase was after showing Redfall.

Microsoft is always so transparent but for some odd reason, they weren’t with the format of the showcase. But after the vast majority loving/liking the showcase, see how quickly they mentioned what the Gamescom format is going to be.

In general, Microsoft focusing on casual games and all that makes perfect sense since their entire strategy revolves and centers around Game Pass and they obviously want to target everyone. It’s just that for their main showcase which is once a year in June, I expected much more and not being transparent a few days out made it worse because here I am, going into the showcase with expectations of seeing Avowed, Contraband, etc. and instead seeing almost nothing of interest to me.

Like I have said before, I actually don’t have an issue with the 12 month format. While I would prefer 18 months since it would include the following Fall/Holiday season but otherwise, all I would really want out of say a two hour showcase which I believe will happen once the ABK deal is finalized, is that the first 30 minutes or so are games that are further than 12/18 months out and then the other 90 minutes are for games within the next 12/18 months.

This way, you see a glimpse of the future while also getting a lot games and info for the upcoming 12/18 months. Staying with only 12 months will result in no hype moments, no holy shit moments and no mic drop moments simply because if it’s a big major reveal, it’s going to have to be shown further out to get people hyped and interested. For example, im not the biggest Marvel/DC guy at all when it comes to movies. I prefer the seasonal shows but game wise, I play almost every one now because I missed out on completing Arkham Asylum/City back in the day and no, im not going back to play them especially since I tried that already but the point is, I learned from my mistake, unless the game is bad or just not for me, it’s day one. Bigger point is that seeing Wolverine get announced and yes, I know it’s two more years away but seeing that was a holy shit moment for me because I was never expecting that and more importantly, it’s my favorite character and will be M rated. Plus, it’s Sony who has like an 80%+ track record for me and thus far, Insomniac is 4 for 4. So yeah, super hyped. Or even seeing Monolith’s Wonder Woman game get announced at TGA 2021 was huge because fuck yeah, I want to play them and while they’re years away, just knowing that they exist and are coming is huge for me simply because I didn’t expect these games to happen.

Oddly enough, Diablo IV is one of the five games from the showcase that is day one for me. And was actually #3 out of 5 for me. As for it being a third party game, it is for the time being but make no mistake it will be a first party game when it’s all said and done.

I don’t follow. Why are you saying they have to show big reveals further out? The whole reason I am in favour of the 12 month format is because of the amazing mic drop moments that will start happening a few years from now.

There’s zero reason for them to reveal any information about a game, including even the title, until a year before release.

You basically just answered your own question when you said, “a few years from now”. So I have to wait a few more years for mic drop moments? There was no mic drop moment this past June. Let’s say for argument sake, there’s none in June 2023. So I have to wait at least two more years for a holy shit moment? Won’t speak for anyone else but that deflates my hype to be honest.

Microsoft has a shit ton of games yet to be officially announced and revealed. They obviously don’t need to show everything on one show but let’s say 2023 gives us two new game reveals and two gameplay reveal trailers for Avowed and Contraband in the first 15 minutes or so and have the rest be the 12 month format.

I just don’t see what is wrong with getting a few further out games to start the showcase and then go into the 12 month format.

Thus all relates to your desire. That’s fine. I’m not talking about that, I was specifically talking about the segment I quoted, which I read as you saying there will be no mic drop moments during showcases with the 12 month format, because Microsoft will have had no choice but to reveal big projects outside of 12 month format shows.

Specifically I’m referring to where you said “if it’s a big major reveal, it’s going to have to be shown further out”

It I misunderstood, then never mind. :slightly_smiling_face:

Okay, I gotcha.

I guess there could be mic drop moments for games that are within a year but even then, that could be years away from happening. I’m not expecting Microsoft to reveal new games until they’re a lot further along in development and by that time, we’ll probably already be aware of them via Jez, Grubb, etc. so Microsoft could be better off revealing a new game here and there that’s further out in order to get ahead of leaks and whatnot as well as setting expectations for what the game is instead of potentially being let down due to leaks or whatever and they would probably prefer to be “open” so hiring people for the game can be easier.

At this point, I don’t think that Microsoft even knows what they want to do for next June’s showcase. I do believe that it’s going to be based on if it’s a live audience showcase or if it’s a digital showcase.