E3 Returns in 2023 to LA Convention Center with ReedPop

Because E3 is seen as a massive gaming event. It’s where when you look at the past, all the best moments, console reveals, game reveals, surprises, Hollywood Stars like Keanu Reeves being at Xbox E3 2019 and so much more has happened. You can’t come to E3 with a boring lackluster showcase. At that point, why even participate?

Also, if it’s in front of a live audience, it must be a blockbuster showcase. A 12 month showcase isn’t going to fly in front of a live audience. If it’s digital only, it has a better chance at being successful but in front of thousands of fans, that would not go over well at all and I would expect them to be booed out of the building because it’s not what fans that are there in the audience want to see. It’s not what fans who spent thousands of dollars on hotels and air fare would want to see.

I would only want Microsoft to do the 12 month thing again if the first 20-30 minutes is new game reveals (Compulsion/InXile, etc.) or gameplay reveals (Fable, Contraband, etc) for further out games with the other 60+ minutes being the 12 month thing. Also, it’s nothing more than a Game Pass showcase and that’s not what im looking for out of their #1 main event showcase of the year. I want their showcase to be like their E3 2018 which is still their best showcase of the last decade by far.

As for their games mostly be out by the end of 2024, I’ll believe that when im playing them.

They won’t have a boring lackluster showcase next year even if they stick to the 12 month thing. We’d be seeing both unannounced and announced games with game play.

And yes, we don’t really know when things are coming. By the same token, you’re premature in calling a 12 month show boring when you don’t know when Contraband, Belfry, Compulsion, Coalition, InXile, Zenimax Online, and other studios are going to have things ready. These are all games that could hit in the 2023-2024 window. And that isn’t even including Activision Blizzard.

The first part remains to be seen. I was bored out of my freaking mind watching the showcase this year because it was nothing but indie after indie after indie with some mobile crap getting a console port thrown in. UGH.

The only problem with the second part is that vast majority were expecting at least half of what you just posted this year and they were nowhere to be found.

What can I say? My expectations are HIGH. And I simply expect more from Microsoft in regards to Xbox.

1 Like

No. Your expectations are your own, which are warped compared to others. As far as I recall, You didn’t even have an interest or play a solid GOTY title like Psychonauts 2. You are missing out on exceptional games.

Edit: not that there is anything wrong with your expectations and tastes, but you can’t describe them as merely being “high” when they are so vastly different than typical expectations and tastes.

3 Likes

Agreed completely. I don’t quite see how anyone can have different expectations (desires, sure) after the one-two punch of this year’s summer showcase and Gamescom both following the 12-month format.

Obviously I could be wrong, but if Xbox isn’t doing 12-month showcases exclusively for the next several years, probably even the remainder of the generation, I’ll be very surprised.

I can see maybe an exception being made for one or two games per showcase, but if I were to put money on it, I’d say they’re completely done with even mentioning games that don’t have a planned release in the next 12 months following the event.

1 Like

I think people will love this event but I am bias when it comes to who is working on the Reedpop side.

Gu “Yug” Blomburg. I’ve known Yug since 2008, He was at my wedding, I worked on Mana Bar with him (world’s first video game cocktail bar) and after he finished up with Mana Bar, he went on to work being the Event Organiser for Pax Aus from inception until 2015, then was heading up Comicon in LA, background biz dev for Gamescom, New York Comic con and all the events for Reedpop around the world including continuing work for Pax events.

Back around 2019, he stepped back and started doing more consulting work for the industry but this is him coming back to lead the Business Development side of E3 and if you know or have met Yug, he is someone who connects with everyone he meets and really builds things to consider the best meld between the gamer and the company.

I will admit, I think the event will have plenty of exhibitors show up to be there. Not purely from one man working to organise but in how people feel they need to reconnect to how they engage with the things they love. Some people just love hands on and I believe this will drive it.

Technically speaking, Nintendo did their 12 months-ish with their Direct Show with Xenoblade 3 and that one was hailed as among the best Direct. So…why 12 months is boring again?

4 Likes

Xbox has consistently had better showcase type showings than the non-showings that Sony has had over the last several years. Sony flat out lied with a ‘2020’ date for the God of War sequel being announced that summer of 2020, as there was zero chance that was ever intended to be released that calendar year with COVID having already started by the announcement time too. We are finally just getting that game in November of this year. And it is a huge bonus of hype for me to also watch the Xbox showcase knowing that many of the games and all of the first party games are coming to my Game Pass Ultimate subscription, rather than wading through the confusing mess of what I may be dealing with and how bad I am getting hosed in my wallet on the Sony side.

And I get sick of people saying that “Sony doesn’t need to do E3”. Of course a large business that is supposed to be about video games and more importantly the gamers that play them can arrogantly not be a player in a large industry gathering to promote the wider video gaming industry if they want, but that type of garbage along with crap like $70 remakes continues to relegate my PS5 to a dusty device that rarely gets turned on.

1 Like

Hmmmm, that’s why I said MY expectations are high. Why would anyone care about what someone else’s expectations are when like you said, they’re my own. SMH.

Saying im missing out on exceptional games is purely subjective and based on everyone’s individual opinion. Psychonauts 2 isn’t my type of game. I’m not into the art style, visuals, combat/gameplay or the story and characters so why would I play a game im not interested in? I know the game is a high quality game but it’s simply not for me.

I think what @BRiT is saying is that your expectations are not higher than anyone elses, they are just different. Other poeple don’t have low expectations, they have their own high expectations that just differs from yours.

2 Likes

Because you keep trash talking everyone else’s, by downplaying things you don’t like as “indies” or “mobile crap” or other disparaging remarks. You shouldn’t put other titles down just so you can elevate what you like.

1 Like

I never said anyone had low expectations. I simply stated what my expectations are. How would I even know what other’s expectations are in the first place when im not other people.

I haven’t trash talked anyone else’s opinions. Everything I post is FOR ME and what I prefer. Has nothing to do with anyone else here or what others want to play.

That’s good and all but I’m telling you how it comes off to me, and probably others.

I even share some of your expectations, but this is more about delivery and how one is perceived by others.

1 Like

Fair enough.

1 Like

Starfield and Redfall being delayed have NOTHING to do with them not showing games that further than twelve months out, if anything that would incentivize them to show stuff that is further out to hype people up.

I simply disagree. I believe that it’s the main reason why Microsoft went to a 12 month format. Not a single “insider” even speculated about this happening. Microsoft didn’t give a “heads up” beforehand. Their two major AAA titles for this Fall were delayed to 2023 and in order to keep people subscribed to Game Pass, Microsoft went in this direction. They needed to showcase what’s coming to Game Pass over the next year so they don’t lose subscribers. Game Pass is Microsoft’s #1 priority for Xbox as we all know.

We’ll know for sure next June. I agree with Sovereign from the Iron Lords Podcast. If Microsoft has a digital showcase, then I think they stay with the 12 month format but if they’re part of E3 and have an actual showcase on stage, they will go back to what they did during the Xbox One generation because they’ll have to. They wouldn’t get away with having the same showcase as this past June in front of a live audience.

1 Like

They didn’t “speculate” because the show was locked down, which hasn’t been the case for past couple of years. If they knew for sure, they would have said what was going to be at the show as they have done in the past. And they show was always going to have dozens of gamepass announcements like the previous two years whether Redfall or Starfield were delayed or not.

1 Like

Insiders could have known but still not say anything. It’s not like they’re above lying or simply not stating anything. And if they said that the showcase was only focused on the next 12 months, that would have deflated hype for a lot of people, myself included.

There’s a difference between having Game Pass announcements and EVERY game being a Game Pass announcement. No AAA third party games at all, reveal or gameplay wise. This has also decreased from 2020 (5) to 2021 (3) to 2022 (0). And no new AAA first party game reveals. For me, it was a lackluster showcase especially when I was expecting to see Avowed and Contraband along with Redfall, Starfield and FM 8. Was also hoping for Compulsion’s game to get revealed. Obviously, half of this didn’t happen.

The insiders flat out said they didn’t know what was going to be in the show. At least the ones that actually leak things. And the shows going forward will be gamepass focused. Last year’s show only had a Far Cry 6 trailer shown. and ARA was a first party AAA reveal.

1 Like

Great news things are finally starting to go back to normal

1 Like