Don't Expect a Big Xbox Event for March

Sounds like some GDC type of stuff which is fine. Hearing how dev tools are changing for the new consoles and new PC tech is always nice.

1 Like

Bethasda merger with Xbox in itself is a big event.

I have a question about this (no worries if you don’t know, and maybe someone else does): why does MS need to upgrade server blades to XSX? Isn’t the XSS perfect for 720p/1080p streaming?

I did find this: Microsoft to upgrade its xCloud servers to Xbox Series X hardware in 2021 - The Verge

And one takeaway is that it can handle 4 Xbox One S game requests it seems. That boggles my mind.

1 Like

yes but in the future if you want streaming of games onto a 4k tv or if you want ray tracing, Series S will generally not give you that.

2 Likes

I just didn’t think they were going to deliver that so soon. But hey, that could be something announced during this March event.

One cloud feature that I’d like it’s being able to Stream xCloud (or use console streaming) to my 360 or Xbox One. It would allow me to access my library on pretty much any screen in the house!

They also plan on using the Series X blades for general cloud compute when not in use, so they make more sense for that than the Series S.

2 Likes

If they don’t do it before cross gen period ends, streamers won’t have access to newish-games, whoch woukd be a terrible look for the service IMO.

Server blades are pretty much how the virtual machine works from the cloud, so its for the best to future proof it using a series x. Also they’ll probably want up the resolution to 4k in the near future, so its better to use series x. I am okay with 1080p since I think mobile internet doesn’t provide fast enough speed for 4k gaming.

I have no proof of this, but I’m guessing the data center XSX SOC can also run in a Series S profile to stream in 1080p at lower power/bandwidth cost. So you build out one server type and it can handle 4k current gen, 1080p current gen, or 4x last gen 720-1080p. Lines up nicely with integrating xCloud fully into multiple Game Pass SKUs.

Then as others have said it’s probably better for general compute, if they do intend to have them available for other compute jobs when not streaming games.

1 Like