Does Media Bias Exist Against Xbox?

You forgot the /s at the end.

Yes, I said that I’m not against reviewing, but do we really need a score now? It puts a mark in a game, how could we judge how much of content a preview game has to be to be worth paying for? Plus it is a sandbox game, some ppl will play 2 hs, finish the missions and call it a day and bash the game content, others tho will play for hs and hs exploring everything, building the most impressive buildings, trying to build every avaliable armor. The idea is unique, the game has potential, the artstyle is great and the performance is decent, is it a 6 because it lacks content for a preview game or because has to many spiders? unnecessary scoring the game now, imo.

1 Like

We saw how the community responded last gen when MS were making such deals. Just like what we saw when they signed Tomb Raider as a timed exclusive. If anything Sony is getting more flack now for the deals with Avengers than I ever saw MS receive.

Just because you pay attention to a bunch of loud fanboys, that doesn’t mean they represent the community and especially the media at large.

Sony got raked over the coals for the PSN data leak and blocking crossplay. There were so many articles on both topics. It wasn’t as much of a big deal but stories also covered their lack of mod support. EA access was hardly a big deal and that’s still largely the case. If the 1X and Pro were the launch of a new generation, we’d surely see sites covering it. No different than sites have covered the power difference between the Series X and PS5. Mid-gen refresh consoles aren’t mass market devices that deserve mass market coverage.

This is all revisionist history.

Jason has gone on record making fun of fanboys from both camps. He even clarified on an edited video that a bunch of Xbox fanboys were passing around on twitter. I don’t blame him, they are all an embarrassing bunch.

The trick is to just not pay attention to, or read, IGN in the first place.

The way Xbox is largely treated like an unloved step child all around is so unfair. Feels like Nintendo during their Wii U era when everyone was making wisecracks about them. I really hope Phil and the boys can turn things around for the better this generation. I love the Xbox brand, and would love to see it garner the respect it had during the 360 era once more.

Huh?

I remember all those articles about “resolutiongate” and why we should care at the outset of this gen, every time an Xbox game didn’t hit 1080p it was big news, but resolution talk stopped around E3 2017 when it stopped mattering all of a sudden. So funny how that played out. But yeah no media bias. Sure, it’s all weird coincidence.

Well yeah. “Can’t Spell Ignorance Without IGN” is a pretty old saying. I used to see it on forums back ib the og Xbox days. Honestly IGN was no better than sites like “The Daily Radar” but for some reason it’s still around. I stopped taking them seriously when they gave Godhand like a 3 out of 10.

2 Likes

My take is the media is pandering to what can get them the most clicks, they feel it’s siding with the console with the larger user base.

3 Likes

I can even get with the notion that it’s all just pandering (which is still bad) at least you’re not jumping through hoops to claim that they’re being 100% objective and it’s all in our heads.

2 Likes

Just because I enjoy shooting down nonsense.

Sony blocking crossplay:

Bunch of videos:

PSN hack:

Sony blocking mod support:

There is plenty more for every topic but please continue playing the victim card for a trillion dollar company.

It would probably help if you provided some links to support your claims. Many of the people working in the industry are doing just that, working. They are working on their own reviews, scoops, articles, etc. and don’t have all the time to read up on everything. For example Inside Gaming has a lot of passionate gamers but they are wrong or off on a number of things.

3 Likes

I don’t believe there’s a bias. Some people take it too seriously and start talking about gaming coverage like it’s Politics. I don’t believe anyone at any big site is trying to upset Xbox fans or somehow damage the brand.

1 Like

Cool down a bit. There’s no need to attack others. If you want to make a claim be ready to back it up.

1 Like

Lol it literally takes seconds to run a search to support the claims you guys are making. I ran a simple search for each topic and got plenty of articles proving what some of you are saying wrong. You either have a way to support your outrageous claims or need to calm the F down. These are video games we’re talking about here, not your children.

Jason Schreier is certainly biased in his personal views on things, and I think that can affect who he talks to for his insider info that he sometimes shares. However, he does a great job working to keep his stories based on facts and not his own personal views. The issue arises (imho) when his off the cuff comments get used by others to generate ‘news’ without taking into account how much he qualifies things. That isn’t his fault.

1 Like

Also the biggest EL OH EL on Xbox not being respected because Phil refuses to act like a toxic fanboy. Phil is one of the most respected people in the industry and that’s because he gives others the same respect. You should really read up to how he not only changed the face and image of Xbox in the public but also how he improved things behind the scenes in the organization. Morale was not high at all in the early XBO days.

4 Likes

After the Xbox show we had these journalists reaching out to developers asking how long their games will be exclusive to Xbox

Nothing like this happened after Sony’s showing

Still want to know when I can play Deathloop

4 Likes

It is what it is and every onehas has their own opinion if the media are bias or not. But I have never seen game media go after Microsoft like they did the year they locked down Tomb Raider for an entire year. They were hounding Phil left and right,it looked like it was something personal. I never saw that from the press when SF5 became exclusive though. So yeah there is a bias going on.

3 Likes

Coming into this gen/cycle, there was unending media coverage in major outlets reporting on whatever dumb shit CBOAT was claiming and reiterating it over and over again. Then after he got the boot and things chilled, and once ppl cooled to the idea of trusting anonymous insiders, that more traditional press did much better work, even if implicit bias has been evident since.

The news cycle heading into a new gen seems based on getting ‘scoops’ by parroting whatever insiders post on forums. Instead of, ya know, actual reporting. It becomes a circle jerk of who can tell the fanboy masses what they wanna hear and then ‘confirming’ what each other says.

This time around, YT’ers are driving conversation as they all pretend to have ‘sources’ and they go on to tell fanboys the most hyperbolic bs they can dream up, even when it is quite obviously goofy nonsense. If you consider only traditional gaming sites that existed from the get go with actual editorial procedures and whatnot, ya might miss important elements of how narratives are being forged today.

Stop bringing up the dumb framing of anyone ‘protecting a trillion dollar corporation’ please. It’s bad faith garbage that ya don’t need to lean on for some silly flourish at the end of your posts. Looking to hold outlets accountable has nothing to do with market caps. You are trying to erect strawman arguments there. The rest of your post is strong enough to refute the specific points that got asserted without trying to tack on a weak one at the end. :slight_smile:

Instead of trying to constantly reframe the thread topic to be about how MS is somehow held responsible for what the press does, why not just stick to the actual topic of discussion? When ya do that, like ya did in your post here (mostly) it is much better contribution to the discussion for sure.

While your post does debunk the points raised in what ya replied to, there still are issues surrounding how news stories get framed and what quality of info is driving conversation. Also in how reviews get framed too, like Quantum Break’s reviews which you appear to agree that there are issues there.

1 Like

Sorry but I really have no patience for people making outrageous claims but taking no effort to back them up. Especially after me and others have posted thoughtful comments on how this line of thinking is misguided. I also don’t think it’s dumb to say some are trying to protect a trillion dollar company because that’s exactly what is happening. Again, these are video games we’re talking about here. I understand and respect the passion that goes into the hobby, I’ve been gaming for 35 years. Microsoft are the ones who damaged their brand and reputation and they are the ones that need to win the mindshare of both the gaming media and community at large. They’ve done an amazing job of that over the last few years but that’s not to say there is some sort of media bias against them. Again each site needs to be discussed on a case by case basis, especially when each site is composed of many people, each with their own preference. Just grouping the media as one large monolithic being is lazy and shortsighted.

Regarding reviews, I don’t really consider that the same thing. A reviewer can misunderstand the mechanics of a game and still not have an agenda behind the publisher. I mentioned Angry Joe in my example but he certainly doesn’t have an agenda against Xbox. Hell he didn’t start covering Playstation until the TLOU came out.

You keep throwing that ‘trillion dollar corporate defense force’ assertion out there…show me your Google-Fu skills that can somehow demonstrate the motivations behind what others here are saying. I’ll wait…

You are demanding folks stick to specific claims that can be backed up and yet you can’t help referring to ppl disagreeing with you as part of some trillion dollar corporate defense force. You can’t make that dismissing attack against ppl here in good faith and you surely know that. You are trying to ‘win’ some conflict instead of purely promoting discussion.

You are right about case by case basis being the proper context for discussing accusations of bias. And those accusations should be met with specific refutations like the ones you offered earlier. Folks wanting outlets to simply have baseline competency in what they cover is not at all out of line and the response to that should not include trying to reframe the thread to be about MS’s PR failings. If your response is to tell ppl to get their news/discussion pieces elsewhere, guess what…they already did that by coming here! Ppl should be free to take up such issues without being accused of being dumb fanboys and without mods trying to rationalize bad press behavior by blaming MS for somehow not making them live up to the editorial standards they proclaim to care about.

Every claim should be a case by case basis, not just for outlets but for stories and reviews themselves. And such claims can be challenged on that same case by case basis. I think we can all agree on that, no?

2 Likes

A lot of the evidence people have for “media bias” is the twitter accounts of IGN or gamespot employees. Those are personal accounts and not affiliated with their employers at all. If an IGN employee tweets that they’re not a fan of Xbox that doesn’t mean that IGN is biased. I really hate this “media bias” that some people go on about.

1 Like