Discord partnering with Playstation for Integration

nothing is out of question, they could also buy a huge portion of the company when its gone public.

That depends if they have any magic poison-pill clauses in their company structure.

Possible, but depends on the strategy, and should be done before any ipo plans.

1 Like

I hope this goes deeper than what we have currently which is simply connecting our accounts and seeing what we’re playing

2 Likes

This is pretty neat. I have wanted better discord integration in Xbox. I play some games on pc like apex and have friends on Xbox. It would be nice to have a chat room available to connect to. Especially since some of my ox gamer friends don’t use the Xbox integration on pc. This makes cross play much better in my eyes.

Fully convinced it will come to Xbox too.

what happened between Xbox and Discord?

were they close to being acquired by Microsoft and… does this partnership happen? :thinking:

its already happening… :sweat_smile:

Discord hate money, what can MS do?

2 Likes

Personally I’m hoping for cross-chat between PS and Xbox users some time in the future. I play Rocket League with some PS friends and we have to talk through our phones since RL doesn’t yet have voice chat.

I don’t exactly know the details but the optics appear MS fumbled badly. Going from supposed frontrunner to acquire a company to said company partnering up with the one of your competitors? Yikes.

Hope we still get Discord integration on Xbox though.(and with no audio parity clause, we know how Sony does lol)

You had a chance at that if MS had bought them

We have no clue what sort of sneaky stuff Sony has snuck into the terms of this deal.

1 Like

You need to look at the timeline. I’ll repeat it here since so many simply do not read earlier posts.

December 2020: Sony participated in a round where $100 Million was raised, valuing Discord at $7 Billion

April 2021: Discord approaches Microsoft for acquisition talks, got an offer for $12 Billion, a nice 71% premium over 4 months, turned them down, deciding to IPO

May 2021: Social Media News runs with story of Sony investing in Discord

Additional details is the December $7 Billion valuation was 2x the company’s evaluation of $3.5 Billion just 6 months earlier.

5 Likes

Damn. Didn’t even knew this was a thing.

That being said I’m glad MS didn’t spend 10B on this. That money could go somewhere more valid imo.

Exactly. That Sony deal was probably already in place. MS probably didn’t want fo spend all that money and be put in a position to have to honor an “existing contract”. It honestly wouldn’t have been a good look.

Discord walked away, not the other way around. MS made them a good offer.

1 Like

Well then I’m glad they walked away. Discord is overrated imo. MS has been trying to get into the broad social game but I doubt Discord was it. Nobody I know outside of gaming knows what that is.

I always thought discord would be a poor investment for microsoft or sony,

I get discord is the hot new thing at the moment, maybe im just old but its not exactly hard to communicate with other people on xbox + playstation.

Also communication apps are not exactly the most stable of things, one minite one is really popular and the next there is something new on the block.

This is the part that baffles, right. They ask for MS to make an offer. MS offers 70% premium over the Series H valuation (which is very high). Discord says that we want an X amount more than that. No idea - What game Discord is playing.

It doesn’t have to simply be about money. It could have been a problem with MS’s plans for Discord management and who would be in charge of what. It could have been any number of things really.