Dirt 5 Series X gameplay and impressions are out! (Updated with Digital Foundry - top video)

I’d play the performance 4k mode, I’d want smooth 60fps.

Ill probably just stick with horizon 4, is that update still launching alongside Xbox series x? Or been delayed?

On the plus side, due to this poor 120fps showing, I don’t have the desire to upgrade my TV now, I’m going to be happy at 4k 60fps still.

1 Like

Yeah, Forza is Smart Delivery on launch! I hope they add new achievements aswell.

And yes, I’m also delaying the thought of upgrading my TV. Performance Mode is perfect for me for now!

1 Like

Looks like codemasters need to update their tech. 1080p 120fps is fine, but this game, a racing game, should definitely be able to run a 4k locked 60fps. FPS dipping into the 40s is unacceptable for a racing game.

2 Likes

This! This is what I hope is going to happen. Personally I care zero for Dirt 5. Give me those lovely enhancements for FH4 and I’m set for racing this holiday.

Would like to see the more graphically demanding games. But I’m sure we’ll get those this week or sometime this month.

It’s kind of confusing, I’ve seen other footage of the game looking amazing, but the Jeff Grubb video had some of the worst pop in I’ve seen in video games, Wtf is with that? If that is what was required to hit 120fps, not it. I think it’s the engine or something, cuz my 1060 itself is able to run Forza Horizon 4, a visually much more excellent game at 1080p 90fps in almost ultra settings, surely a 12TF machine can run dynamic resolution at locked 120 and even that is not seen to be the case.

As others have already mentioned, I’ll just wait for gameplay of FH4 optimized for Series X, no other racing game still seems to look as phenomenal as that while still running amazing, truly a testament to the Forzatech engine’s prowess.

2 Likes

Codemasters hurt themselves and Xbox brand by allowing DIRT 5 preview

they should have let the devs record the gameplay from latest build

2 Likes

It looks fine. Codemasters always had solid assets but bit stale and flat atmospheres. Even F1 2020 isn’t quite on par with Forza 7 (hell, even Forza 6 gives it a run for its money), so I didn’t expect DIRT 5 to blow my mind. Gameplay looks fun and I’m curious to try the 120FPS mode. It’s one of the games I’m considering picking up for console launch.

2 Likes

I will say this, props to Codemasters for making a game with local multiplayer. Both systems lack those games day 1 beyond back compat.

GameSpot footage is much better. Particle/weather effects look fantastic as do reflections, game looks smooth as butter, car models decent. Human models iffy so expect console warriors to overblow that. No idea what happened in IGN’s footage.

2 Likes

Yeah - it looks exactly like the footage of the game we’ve been shown already…except this time because it says Series X footage the console fanboys are doing their thing…

Pop in retunes

Dirt_5_Xbox_Series_X_4K_Gameplay_-_Ice_Drifting_And_Rally_Racing

1 Like

People do that? That’s silly as hell. It didn’t look all that hot a month ago and it still doesn’t. Certainly not the game to showcase a new system.

I would love for CDPR to have Cyberpunk gameplay ready but I should not get my hopes up on that for this month.

Considering the game has “gone gold”, they should be able to show something at least. I know they will deliver a huge day 1 patch, but still.

As for Dirt5 - well, color me unimpressed. It looks just like what it is, an unoptimized cross-gen game. It’s a shame that this is some of the first real XSX gameplay we’ve seen.

Even if its Cross Gen as a racer this is not impressive regardless of 60 or 120 FPS mode in a world where gorgeous FH4 exists.

2 Likes

MS is the one to blame for XSX and brand image

first impressions are always important

1 Like

This is very true. Just baffled that the first footage we saw on Series S and X are of Dirt 5 which didnt look too hot.

All the media outlets projecting it as Xbox Series X gameplay can only give negative impressions to people or general public watch these videos.

2 Likes

Now i hope People understand why MS needs to show true next gen gameplay for next gen console

2 Likes

Come on now - people have been screaming to see stuff but we’ve seen the medium and ascent on the console already…not sure what magical game you want them to show off…they’ve got assasins creed valhalla, unpatched Cyberpunk and Yakuza as their AAA launch titles plus I assume Gears 5 enhanced, SoT enhanced and FH4 enhanced…

Which do you want them to show? There is no such thing as next gen gameplay. Its a complete nonsense made up by console warriors. I want to see gameplay as much as anyone and personally I’ve enjoyed Dirt 5 - but people are so easily shaped by the reaction online. Anything Xbox show is picked apart - I didn’t see the same for the very rough looking textures in GT7 or flat people or whatever…it is what it is.

3 Likes

Dirt games have never been about graphics to be honest.

2 Likes

Lol that’s exactly what they gotta show now, Cyberpunk, Valhalla, FH4 and Gears 5 optimized for Series X, so on.

1 Like