DigitalFoundry - Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Next-Gen Analysis

Far Cry 6 I could see, but I have no faith in Capcom after rushing out DMCVSE. Granted it’s a new RE entry, but we have no idea how bad COVID has impacted RE’s development.

All we have is Dusk Golem’s word that it was working fine on the Series X (better than PS5) but we have to take that as sus at this time. Sony has marketing for RE8, but they did also for DMCVSE and it performed 3 out 4 better on SX.

I would say let’s wait till next year when the vaccines start allowing people back into offices.

Worst case scenario is that I spent $500 to run back compat games really good and 23 first party studio games in the future.

However, I think the games are so close in performance I really don’t think it matters. Only thing that really happens is MS takes a blackeye on marketing, which can be rebranded and rebooted once the big games start coming, which is really the issue here.

Once the first party stuff starts coming, unless the PC version runs markidly better, I don’t think people are going to care. Psychonauts 2 is an easy win for the X vs PS4. Flight Sim on console will be great even if the top-of-the-line PC runs it better. The Medium could be either way but there’s no version to compare it to.

All of this ends when the games start coming. Yes we have to wait.

2 Likes

Was sadly expecting this. Actually was expecting slightly worse. Some websites and YouTube channels was saying the XSX had a slightly lower resolution and worse performance, so for this to be just slightly lower performance is a relief.

Not going to lie though, the screen tearing is pretty annoying.

I have to agree. We can mention XDK, etc all day long, but for every game to perform worse on Xbox is not a good sign.

2 Likes

There is also the leaked GDK documentation from July that stated in many areas where the performance wasn’t final like RT, geometry shader “emulation” (mesh shader get rid of the old geometry pipeline, but to keep compatibility with older code they do it at driver level), decompression…

We don’t know when those things were improved to match final performance (or if they even are at final performance yet) but even if we assume that the August update was the one where all performance issues were fixed that still left less than 3 months for devs to use the final GDK to optimize.

2 Likes

Go more info on that? The decompression element is especially interesting since that could explain framerates.

1 Like

Any educated guesses when we might start seeing things turn to Xbox’s favor in terms of improvement for GDK?

1 Like

Great video. It’s a bit disappointing to see Series X struggling in regards to performance. The screen tearing and the nonlinear camera movement bug are definitely noticeable as you play, however I’m still having an amazing time with the game! Hopefully some of the performance issues can be cleaned up with patches.

1 Like

They just mentioned HW decompression performance wasn’t final and that there would be a new physical devkit in the summer where the performance was expected to meet the final one.

Another thing I didn’t noticed before, there is a ton of memory related performance issues in the June GDK too.

This one can give some insight on something that is completely transparent for the devs, but that Ms can do from behind the scenes and significantly impact performance:

“Starting with the May 2020 GDK, background zeroing of freed memory pages has been disabled in the Game OS. This matches the behavior of the Xbox One XDK and provides significant benefits to graphics performance.”

Another issue is that the memory mapping from the slower or faster pool seems to be a logical, not physical one. As in. You have 2GB of memory per module and each memory you allocate you can map to the slower or faster access and even change it on the fly (for example if one buffer requires lots of bandwidth to be created but when reading its less you could create it mapping to the faster pool, than remap it to the slower pool when reading. But the June GDK does not allow that functionality yet. There’s a workaround, but they note that this workaround performs significantly worse in the faster pool than the slower pool. So yet another big performance issue (that we don’t know if it was solved already).

There are also some performance notes for async compute, audio, profiling tools not picking data for many of the gpu aspects etc…

I really wish we got another leak, could be curious to see how the current devkit compares with the leaked one

2 Likes

The June GDK notes mentions a lot that performance was expected to reach the final one by summer (so June-August?)

Since there was no new leaks I don’t know if they reached the targets or had to push back a bit.

It could be that the GDK is even now already in a good shape but there wasn’t enough time for the launch games to take advantage of it (I remember now there was one XDK update on xbone that drastically improved performance and some games managed to use that before shipping like Destiny 1 and Diablo 3 and others didn’t)

Yep…here were some notes from the DF videos based on information given to them from Microsoft. If the Microsoft I/O solution to offload decompression from the CPU isn’t being applied to the Xbox hardware but is on the PS5, there’s your frame rates…and more.

1 Like

This doesn’t impact on frame rates. The gap between the consoles right now is purely down to GPU performance. Nothing to do with memory , SSD or CPU. Dirt 5 dev was talking about how they have huge headroom on CPU even at 120FPS but are GPU bound.

1 Like

Every developer’s engine is different. Some are more GPU or CPU bound. For the majority of games developed last gen (and most of these games are still being developed from those game engines), frame rates were CPU bound. I’d expect frame rates in open world games to be still be CPU bound.

If a CPU is being tasked heavily for decompression, there is less processing left for other things.

1 Like

As a massive Ubisoft fanboy, I would say that the issues are more on Ubisoft than Xbox Series X console itself or the tool set not being current yet. They could easily lower the resolution to improve the frame rate and eliminate the screen tearing. Is it underwhelming and disappointing? Absolutely but not exactly shocking or surprising.

Once Microsoft said that Ray Tracing would be post-launch for Halo Infinite (before it was delayed), you kind of knew that their tools were behind and that was going to affect all the games down the board.

If anything, watching that DF video, im actually more hyped for Series X than I was before because first, loading times was only 3 1/2 seconds faster on PS5. Frame rate drops to mid-40’s on XSX here and there and has the screen tearing issues. But PS5 had what looked like two game breaking bugs so I would easily take the other negatives over the potential game breaking bugs that Alex had on PS5.

The main takeaway for me is that everything else visually is equal on both XSX and PS5. A little screen tearing here and there but it’s mostly during cinematics as opposed to gameplay. Resolution is slightly lower overall even though they both run dynamic 4K. I really don’t know why developers just lock the resolution to a stable setting and leave it instead of having it fluctuate all the time. Frame rate is also disappointing but mid-40’s is better than the subpar 30FPS Ubisoft normally gives us.

So for me, PS5 version is overall better but none of it is a slaughter. It’s more like minimal in every aspect that overall, makes it look worse than what it is. Considering it’s as close as it is and Xbox Series X is still using the XDK from Xbox One, im not worried whatsoever.

If in 6 months to a year, it’s still the same then I will be worried and concerned. Until then, my only concern is trying to snag both consoles by Christmas from Best Buy.

2 Likes

Agreed. I mean is it doom and gloom? Hell no. What is a Best Buy or Gamestop employee gonna say when someone asks which is better right now? Just wait…those dev. kits will kick in(And we ALL know they will etc.). Here follow this link and look at all the reasons why the performance is bad etc etc etc. MSFT just took a tiny L for this and that is really ok lol. No need for people to list a MILLION reasons why AC runs better on PS5 right NOW and not on XSX. Plain and simple, it just does lol

If ACV was CPU bound you would see the dips in specific areas where there are lots of calculations taking place…but you don’t…they happen when stuff like fire is on the screen. Secondly altering resolution would make minimal difference…so it’s clearly GPU bound. And it’s the GPU performance that is impacted on the Xbox side.

1 Like

A Best Buy or GameStop employee won’t have a clue which system it runs better on and 99.99999% of people won’t care at a tiny difference in frame rate in some scenarios.

This is not close to rendering a game at 720P in 2013…that was bad but this is irrelevant.

1 Like

…and where exactly is this weakness or bottleneck in the GPU to bottleneck the system? That’s one of the most capable components of the Series X.

Edit: Actually it could be a situation where they aren’t able to properly multi-thread.

1 Like

I don’t know why this post was hidden. Seems a bit heavy handed.

It’s not a hardware thing in all likelihood it’s down to the dev tools and probably APIs not as performant as they should be. Look at some games where DX12 can tank frame rates compared to DX11 for example…

1 Like

Well…if they watched this 1 DF video, they would tell you that the PS5 runs AC better. Plain and simple, no ifs and or buts. Unless your gonna sideline a customer and get into a screaming match with an employee and tell them all the tech know how shit we all talk about on here. See what I mean?

The pandemic is an acceptable excuse. Repeating over and over that it isn’t doesn’t add anything to the discussion.

2 Likes