Digital Foundry | PlayStation 5 Backwards Compatibility Tested - And It's Fantastic!

The media feels the same way about me? What are you talking about?

An observation based on what? You think i dont like a technical analysis not being impartial because I prefer xbox? You can call it an observation or whatever you want but if you cant present any reasons why you think this , your opinion loses credibility.

You say this “They should be allowed to express different viewpoints”

Its not a matter of being allowed, its a matter of context, digital foundry is known for there detailed technical analysis, I never said I had an issue with them expressing what they prefer , I dont think they should make statements on which approach is “better” unless technically it is better, or if they want to do that i think it should be a different category on there channel like johns df retro series.

2 Likes

I just watched the video.

Do ALL BC games benefit from the hardware after all on PS5? So…any game with unlocked framerate, dynamic resolution will benefit?

Boost mode is actually what they will use for games like Ghost of Tsushima and God of War? Hey its great for PS5 users that have all these games bought on PS4, but I always thought Xbox was the only one that had all BC games benefit from the hardware. They even marketed with that. I’m confused, lol.

It works like it does on seriesX, PS4 games with unlocked framerate and resolution will be at there caps on PS5.

2 Likes

Good job Sony :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nah, the factual basis of what is happening is laid out. He just offers his own preference and opinion as to which he likes better. That is legitimate!

1 Like

You should be plenty competent enough to distinguish between opinions and facts as part of the audience.

1 Like

Regardless of debates, seeing Sony give a shit again about back compat warms my heart as someone who didn’t buy a PS4 in large part due to the lack of PS3 back compat and concerns of ownership.

And Xbox has of course done fantastic. 4 gens in one box with auto HDR and ML Enhancement. Industry defining stuff!

4 Likes

Indeed, I look forward to replying TLOU2 in ⁶⁰fps and maybe uncharted 4 too.

2 Likes

I definitely noticed what you guys noticed about John too.

Is it awesome that framerate wise it’s locking that shit up at 60fps? Absolutely, but some of the resolution differences are not exactly small. There’s just one example I don’t understand. Sekiro in terms of resolution across the two platforms is very close, why can’t XSX easily stick at 60fps?

What should be interesting to see is are games that have a dynamic resolution like Witcher 3 in performance mode (apparently) and then compare the two.

1 Like

I am competent enough, I am pointing out why people think he is bias. He should keep his opinions of out tech reviews. Wasn’t he just complaining about people attacking him on Twitter?

Isn’t one dynamic while the other is native (XSX), that could be the reason. I do believe the Xbox adds more to the overall game like Auto HDR, so it’s doing more.

Yes, on Xbox its native 1800p and checkerboard on PS5. But the difference is barely noticeable.

Someone today explained why this is for some games, can’t find the comment anymore. Auto HDR is awesome, yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Native 1800p requires more power ( which is what I am told), so that could explain the small frame dips on XSX. On average, the 1X verison of the games are pushing higher res, so that will take more compute power (on the SX verison).

PS5 = PS4/Pro version XSX= X1/base

1 Like

Probably not a good idea to keep talking about a thing when a final warning was issued about it, folks :wink:

Amen! This is why healthy competition is a win for the consumer, if you ask me. No telling if Sony would have put in this much effort if Microsoft weren’t knocking it out of the park. A rising tide lifts all boats, so to speak :smiley:

Interesting! I wonder if there’d be any kind of user abililty to determine what they would like to prioritize from here on out. I imagine that adding that kind of granularity probably makes things a lot more complicated though.

2 Likes

I think all you can turn off is auto hdr. The games will more than likely just require a patch, but a 2 frame dip here and there at native res, is not a big deal imo.

1 Like

Oh I’m sure, I’m not great at noticing this sort of thing anyway so it’s all academic to me. I’m just a big fan of giving the end user options and future-proofing but I don’t have a great grasp of what’s actually feasible.

1 Like

I mean how the media feels about unsubstantiated accusations made against them.

Also I’ve just now listened to the whole video twice and not once do I recall him claiming either approach is “better”. So really this controversy is over nothing, absolutely nothing. There is not wrong with the video or anything that is said during it.

So move on please.

FWIW, I’ve talked to him before on the topic (not long ago). I know he has preferences favoring Sony and many of their IP’s, as well as some MS IP’s. That’s what happens when someone plays a great game…they emerge from the experience with opinions and preferences angled towards favorability of the franchise/platform. The issue, imho, comes from audiences who are able to nitpick and draw very precise outlines around what’s his opinion vs the tech metrics and then running off and claiming something nefarious as if he somehow obscured that from them…all while that person is demonstrating how easy it is to untangle it! You use the term ‘bias’…I’d say preference. Bias would be having the same game on both platforms performing the same except for a deficit on one machine and ignoring that deficit. Here, he is not doing that it seems, but instead is noting the differences and offering his own preference.

I say this as someone who disagrees with how they framed things in the video btw, in the sense that there are lots of titles that we do NOT actually know work well on PS5 due to merely being ‘bootable’. I also would note auto-HDR is a big deal too imho.

We should be promoting other audiences to see that distinction for themselves and be able to separate tech claims from personal preferences too.

Did they not cover VRR (Variable Refresh Rate), where running games at the 4K/60fps with some dips below should be a better experience over 1440p/60fps. Isn’t that the entire point of having VRR?

As long as the games don’t drop below 40 Hz, the LG CX OLED should do a solid job with VRR enabled.

5 Likes

He said that on twitter. His post was that Ps5 was fantastic and in many ways better than what SX was doing

1 Like