Digital Foundry | PlayStation 5 Backwards Compatibility Tested - And It's Fantastic!

Bluntly put, I don’t believe him. However, I won’t speak on it.

The Xbox seems to be performing better on all fronts.

I’ve done this too mostly. It’s been a lengthy process because I insist on waiting for sales but it’s extremely gratifying to think that this is filling in my permanent library that will go with me everywhere from here on out.

1 Like

I’m watching the video soon but do they say why XSX had the better loading times? That is a big surprise.

Thankfully Rich understands and expresses this.

At this point I think digital foundry needs to be seperated into different categories. I think john has expressed that he wants to do more opinion based things so having maybe like “gaming foundry” thing or “digital foundry: reviews” where they can focus on less technical and inpartial stuff and keep there analysis work strickly technical.

4 Likes

You can have a preference, but Jhon is a journalist on a tech site.

Saying Ps5 BC is “in many ways better” than SX is objectively and flat out a wrong statement a tech person shouldn’t be doing.

Even if he prefers the stable fps some of the games are showing due they being locked at significantly lower settings on PS5.

5 Likes

Ok, a bit odd when the sole attraction of DF is the focus on technical stuff without all the rest.

I mean… with that reasoning the Series S is better than the PS5 since it seems to run things like SW Squadrons in 120 fps? Nah

1 Like

I agree, which is why I gave the suggestions I gave. It is why I love digital foundry so much they just say what things are and present the choice to the viewer which approach is better rather then say what is better. Its the issue I have with NXgamer he will try and present his opinion as fact.

2 Likes

While I am glad that PS5 is running the BC games a such a stable framerate, I still think that Xbox is all around better at it, specifically because it provides better image quality, Auto HDR, and the BC team can look into games that aren’t running at their best and do adjustments on how they run to improve them. Of course this all depends on if they will get the same amount of access as the 360 games, but Fallout 4 getting a 60FPS mode tells me that they probably do.

1 Like

Both Sony and Microsoft took different approaches surrounding Backwards Compatibility and the result is spectacular for everyone that matters (the gamers!) – but I still think the Xbox approach is better.

For obvious reasons both consoles run the PS4 Pro and One X versions. The One X versions usually run in a higher native resolution than the PS4 Pro versions, and because of that are more prone to frame dropping. And, on top of that, Xbox has Auto HDR.

So it is basically Higher Framerate + HDR with a few framedrops.

2 Likes

For 4k Tv viewing I think the seriesX is the better place to play BC mid gen refreshed games. I dont even notice dips in the 50-60fps range.

3 Likes

I hope they do a 60fps patch for TLOU2, even of it remains at 1440p

This is the last warning. Discuss the contents of the video and not someone’s personal view to question their integrity. Learn to accept that not everyone will share the same views as you. Any further discussions on this silliness will be receiving bans.

1 Like

Currently in a Zoom meeting so can’t watch the video, did they say if these are titles specified by Sony or did they try everything they could throw at it?

1 Like

There is a difference between calling somone biased and pointing out when people in digital foundry are not acting impartially.

Digital foundry are known for impartial technical analysis, when this does not happen why cant we address this?

Perhaps you could give some examples of this behaviour in order to help users understand and obide by these rules.

I guess its how people word things.

To me its apparent John has a preference for locked fps over fps dips @ a higher res. In the context of ps5 vs seriesX BC I have the opposite view, who right? No one, its a matter of taste, my criticism is how this differs to the majority of digital foundry analysis videos where bringinh an impartial analysis is a signature and recurring trait of theres which I love.

1 Like

I already expressed that you can’t be completely impartial when discussing image quality vs performance because everyone has their own preferences regarding this. You can prefer IQ, I can prefer performance. Neither view is wrong and neither view should call people to question our integrity. There are a lot more interesting things to discuss in the video that a simple comment.

Yes you can, by simply not giving your opinion.

E.g “the performance mode is 1440p 60fps and the quality mode is 4k 30fps, which do you prefer?”

In this video Rich does a good job of this as he says that there are pros and cons to each approach and he does not crown an individual example of BC as superior.

2 Likes

If you’re that bothered by a little personal touch to a video, that says more about you than it does John. They should be allowed to express different viewpoints without being questioned, they do it all the time, including Rich. You’re only bothered by it because it’s not about a piece of plastic you prefer. This should not dominate the conversation surrounding this video.

What does it say about me?

And I dont appreciate unsubstantiated accusations against me.

3 Likes

I’m sure plenty in the media feel the same.

I’m not making any accusations. Merely making an observation. You can take from it what you will.