Digital Foundry | PlayStation 5 Backwards Compatibility Tested - And It's Fantastic!

So, as expected it runs BC in boost mode as cerny said all the way back in road to the ps5.

This is very good news, as you can tell from my previous threads and posts i plan on getting a PS5, however, there still seems to be some issues with PS5 BC that are not present on the seriesX/S.

One advantage PS5 does have though is that some games that did not receive a mid gen patch run at 1080p where some xbox games runns at 900p.

Because the PS4 pro is running at a lower res it hits locked 60fps more often then seriesX. John says that because of this it causes issues for the seriesX, and he seems to act like the PS5 versions are issue free, this is just false.

For example, here is evil within 2 running on bc mode on seriesX + PS5

While the seriesX does get some small frame dips, we are talking about 1800p vs 1296p on ps5, Richard does mention this though but John seems to prefer locked fps and lower res over higher res and some small dips, I dont think Digital Foundry videos are as good when they stray away from a pure impartial technical analysis, but some people may prefer the more personal style?

There are other issues with PS5 In assassin’s creed unity when smoke and alpha effects are heavy the fps will tank

2 Likes

Happy that I can move to the PS5 eventually without worries over my backlog.

Blockquote While the seriesX does get some small frame dips, we are talking about 1800p vs 1296p on ps5, Richard does mention this though but John seems to prefer locked fps and lower res over higher res and some small dips, I dont think Digital Foundry videos are as good when they stray away from a pure impartial technical analysis, but some people may prefer the more personal style?

LOL John been looking pretty one sided preference wise since over the past month.

2 Likes

What game is that about?

PS5 has been saved by the ps4pro’s low resolution and checker bond rendering. Ex - sekiro runs better locked at 60 compared to series X.

But when resolutions are same, the difference is apparent. Ex- AC

Also, even the non-compatible games run without any found problem. That’s great.

2 Likes

Evil within

A significant difference in resolution indeed then. Depending on how badly framerate struggles I prefer a crisper image. A dip here and there is not a deal breaker for me.

1 Like

Ps5 runs old games much better. Series X runs old games much better. It’s good news for everyone.

3 Likes

The surprise was better frame rate at BC then series X in some games.

I don’t know how much checker board holds good against native resolution but it’s more sugar coating rather then a pure advantage to test the hardware.

But the PS5 runs it in lower res so how is that even comparable? Sometimes I don’t get it.

2 Likes

Absolutely.

But I would still give the nod to Xbox, because unless I am mistaken a select few BC games will benefit on PS5 while literally every Xbox BX has a benefit in some way.

4 Likes

It’s comparable on one basis but doesn’t really tell the full story. AC tells the full story.

2 Likes

Fall out 4 will be great one series X with frame rate upgrade

3 Likes

Good news for those who have a PS4 library, personally I replaced all my PS4 multiplats with Xbox One version so I don’t give a fuck about this but good to see that they did a decent job with the BC nonetheless.

About the better performance in some games well it is expected because of the lower resolution and/or settings. Either way both BC programs will update and improve so we shall see in about a year how both will compare. :wink:

1 Like

That’s because the games were low res or rendering in checkerboard which is easier to output than native 4k or 1800p.

On AC:U, they are the same and the ps5 does poorly

Yup, i know :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’m happy both consoles are doing an amazing job at handling BC. Hopefully going forward both consoles won’t disregard BC in future generations

Please stop trying to form some sort of narrative. You can’t be entirely impartial when choosing between something like performance vs image quality because different people will have different preferences. It’s OK if John prefers performance, that is not to say he has some sort of agenda.

Edit:

Same goes for you. Discuss the video at hand, not some supposed bias.

1 Like

For some context, now please stop with the silliness.

2 Likes

Yup! John is being reasonable on this. If PS5 has an advantage then it had it without any doubt.

The thing is in front of everyone as to why this is the case.

Also, this can’t be an agend when all John has done is shared the truth.

1 Like