Digital Foundry | Demon's Souls Remake: Gameplay Trailer Tech Breakdown + First Next-Gen Frame-Rate Analysis (1440p/60 FPS)

Makes sense. WD Legion is 1440p upscaled on XSX (correct?) with raytracing and 30fps. But a actual next gen game, but on inferior hardware would have RT with 1440p and 60fps?

But perhaps this comparison by me is a little wrong since WDL is a open world game too.

"When we started development we didnā€™t know there would be ray tracing in the game, so it wasnā€™t in our original vision. What we wanted to focus on was the settings and the look of the characters. Everything is lighting in real time with shadows in real timeā€, were the words of Moore.

Hmmā€¦they didnā€™t know there would be RT huh? even if the game started development with no plans from Sony to have an RT accelerated GPU on the PS5 (which is weird) you would think that Sony at some point shouldā€™ve updated the dev kits/tools that Bluepoint had access to with the latest specs targets especially for a 1st party title like Demonā€™s Souls (that supposedly Sony Japan Studio is co-developing). :thinking:

So assuming the game runs at Bluepointā€™s proprietary engine (which also runs and looks great on the PS4/PS4 Pro as seen by the SotC remake) this game probably started development as a PS4 title and then became a PS5 only game or there is already a PS4/Pro version up and running in some drawer and waiting to get announced like Miles Morales, Sackboy and Horizon Dawn 2. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

There could be other differences like the RT resolution, at to which extent they are applied, lod version used in the reflections. And so on.

Spiderman for example takes a toll on those so the game resolution is higher.

On top of that it may be that WD is more demanding than Demons Souls even without RT, the game benchmarks for the game is showing itā€™s very resource hog (Not without reason, it seems to have really dense environments)

1 Like

Just another news on Demonā€™s Souls.

Resolution was upped. It is not 1440p anymore.

1 Like

Good news ! As I said before, 1800p60 would be perfect.

Iā€™m a little jealous itā€™s not on Xbox. The game is gorgeous.

Who is this? The tweet sounds like he is just going from the PR (which I think says itā€™s dynamic 4k in the performance mode)

I think heā€™s a big name in the Souls community and heā€™s done stuff like restoring cut content and that unofficial 60fps Bloodborne patch. Not 100% on that though, since thatā€™s not a series Iā€™m interested in. I wouldnā€™t ascribe any authority to him but Iā€™d assume that he knows more than some rando.

If the game had RT I could understand 1440p, but it doesnā€™t. So 1800p with 60fps would be great indeed.

Sony owns the IP. But the next generation Dark Souls could look as good. Iā€™m just glad my son is getting it, so I can play it without buying a PS5