Digital Foundry | Demon's Souls Remake: Gameplay Trailer Tech Breakdown + First Next-Gen Frame-Rate Analysis (1440p/60 FPS)

You’ve said it all. Fromsoftware are unmatched. Wether it is game design or art direction. Yes Bloodborne is my favourite PS4 game. Perfection of style and cosmic horror. That’s why they influenced a whole generation of games. That’s why MS needs to grab them from Kadokawa now!!! Lol

Elden Ring will be artistically stellar I’m sure 100% eyes closed.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, just so I understand you better, are you having issues understanding why a technically capable studios is getting praise for being technically capable and releasing a next gen looking game?

Also, I think very few would agree with you that the game below looks as good as Demon Souls on the PS5. Textures, lighting, shadows, post process effects, animation, etc. everything across the board is a generation behind a current gen From game, even running at max settings in 4K.

Despite even being at 1440p I agree Demon’s Souls on PS5 looks really good and way better than previous Souls games. They just need to adjust the impact feedback a little bit more and a bit more polished and we’re ready to go. 60fps is more important for me so if they keep it stable I’m good. Will buy it later down the line on PS5 pro.

1 Like

Im saying demon souls looks like a current gen, with slightly better textures, environment polygonal detail, a few more better effects and 60fps @ 1440p

Point is this is not “next gen” it looks like a touched up current gen game, and is unimpressive as a next gen show peace.

I dont see anything in demon souls that could not be dialed back slightly and have it run on current gen consoles.

1 Like

Oh I only mentioned them technically. Art wise I agree they are among the best

1 Like

We’ll have to agree to disagree then because I see a clear next gen leap in everything I’ve listed above. The lighting alone is leagues above what we have on current gen hardware.

If you’re disappointed with that, you’re going to be disappointed with a number of titles early on next gen I think.

1 Like

The lighting is Leagues above? How exactly? Most of it is still rasterised, its not using svogi or Raytracing at anything other then a few cases. Yes it does look better then any souls game this gen, but I never limted the comparison to just souls games. It does look great…,.but by current gen standards. Im really looking foward to an analysis to this game, which will explain what technologies and effects are being used and that the majority of them are nothing new.

Its does look better then any current gen game, but when compared to this:

Its the smallest next gen leap we have seen.

Im starting to think Phil Spencer has actually been tellings us for months that next gen is more about “feel”, I think he is actually being honest and trying to set up realistic expectations that the next gen visual “leap” will not be as big as prior gens.

1 Like

I think it looks really good. I believe 1440P, 60fps with ray tracing is the sweet spot for next gen.

As for how it compares to Series S…it doesn’t. Series S is scaling from the Series X, not PS5. Can’t do a linear comparison of tflops between PS5 and Xbox. Ray tracing is extremely demanding so knocking down the lighting a notch will save a lot of resources for frame rate and resolution. I disagree with assumptions that games running at 1440P on PS5 are 900P on Series S. Will be interesting to see how first party games fully utilizing VRS, ML and mesh shaders fare. Also what difference there is between S and X with ray tracing. Either way, it’s hard to get a good gauge with launch games on either platform. It’s unlikely devs are using much of the efficiencies available to them right now.

Ray tracing scales well with the resolution, so the seriesS should still perform not to different reguarding Raytracing, but it has 20 intersection engines compared to the seriesXs 52 and PS4s 36. I dont think people should worry about PS5 exclusives because they are not coming to the seriesS anyway and even if it where seriesS would be able to demon souls remake @ 1080p 60fps, with VRS or slightly lower settings.

Tbh, I have to agree with the other guy saying absolutely nothing shown in the Demon’s Souls demo can’t be done on current gen because everything that looks next gen about the game is pretty much just in the way the game looks and not how it plays. I mean, they literally preserved the fog walls, which were exactly meant to hide loading of the other side. They could still load the other side on ps4 as well if they wanted to preserve it, now it’s just a style preservation without any actual function. Would love to hear what you saw in the demo that can’t be dialed down to run on ps4, because it’s still fundamentally a PS3 game by design from what we’ve seen of it. This is not something like Ratchet and Clank where without the SSD, the game couldn’t even be made and even that game’s promises seem shady, where the big world shifts are only reserved for specific set piece moments in the game and not available to you moment to moment, where you only get the orange small portals that just have you jump around in the same world. Still, that’s the only game that seems to not be possible on current gen, Demon’s Souls imo could still be done. The game is slow paced enough, claustrophobic enough so throw big open worlds out the window. If one day someone came to me and said that Horizon 2, a big ass open world with fast paced combat with living breathing biomes, hundreds of creatures is cross gen and this slow methodic linear largely closed space game isn’t, I wouldn’t believe them, yet here we are.

1 Like

I really don’t know enough about stuff like framerates and resolutions to say that Demon’s Souls can ONLY be a PS5 game. I only played the original a bit 10+ years ago so I can’t say anything mechanically either. Do you think that there’s a chance this game is crossgen too? It’s obviously a remake so there’s nothing intrinsic to the experience that would rely on a hyperfast SSD or the DualSense.

I know there was a bit of confusion about it “coming to other consoles” or whatever that Sony claimed was a mistake. I’d imagine they’d be upfront about it if it were crossgen, but they haven’t exactly been paragons of clear and open communication lately. The only reason I wonder is because I’ve seen a LOT of people posting that Demon’s Souls and Miles Morales are enough to justify the immediate purchase of a new machine and I wonder how perceptions would change if it turned out you could just play them both on PS4 (with worse performance and graphics obviously).

With the current economic climate, I’m just glad Miles Morales is coming to PS4 so I don’t have to feel like I’m missing out.

Edit: I’m interested in what @LifeForms and @KageMaru think as well, since they seem to be discussing this already in terms that are beyond my ken :smile:

1 Like

In terms of what the game is accomplishing from a pure design standpoint, it can certainly be downscaled to the PS4, just with longer load times and worse graphics.

My comments about Demon Souls being a next gen game is purely about the graphics because it is an amazing accomplishment.

Just like this gen, the term “next gen” will mean many different things with the next round of consoles. Using rendering techniques and displaying a rendering quality beyond what current gen hardware can accomplish counts as next gen from my point of view.

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate your perspective! And yes, the game looks terrific, credit where it’s due. Bluepoint knocked it out of the park.

2 Likes

agreed. Just that graphical advances are less bound by hardware as design. HDDs are HDDs, but people are finding several ways to make next gen looking games that are hardware agnostic so it’s not as easy to tell just by looking at a game that yes, this game is taking full advantage of next-gen hardware. What looks next-gen is not just something that’s possible because of new hardware, but also advances in game engines and CG pipelines. You’d think the PS5 UE5 demo looked impossible on current-gen but Epic found ways, to show poly budgets would not be as relevant anymore, or that ray tracing needn’t be the only way to achieve good dynamic reflections and GI, all done at a software level that can run on a laptop. That’s the only reason why I said Demon’s Souls although looking phenomenal and (mostly) unlike anything current gen, still provided no tangible reason to believe it couldn’t ship on a PS4 and was arbitrarily gated. Note that all this could be disproven the more we see of the game in the coming month or two.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion, but if you want people to respect it I think its a good idea to explain your opinion with facts and reasoning.

You have not answered my question about the technology and effects used in the demon souls remake, I will ask again, what about the lighting, effects and polycount do you find to be such a large leap over what has been done this generation?

The superior visuals on a technical level are higher resolution textures and I think more light sources and effects, polycount does not seem to be that higher. Asset quality and detail seems to be improved the most, which is a subtle change compared to the advances in visuals we have seen in previous generations…

I just dont think environments are in need of the biggest change, its a welcoming improvement but like I say it subtle, the things that will really make things look “next gen” are lighting, higher quality + quantity of effects, more sophisticated physics simulations in smoke, water , face and body movements and higher polycounts. Demon souls remake seems to have more detailed environments with higher resolution textures, higher tessalation, more added detail (little rocks, cracks and distortions in the stone work etc) but it seems to be lacking a big upgrade in the other visual components I mentioned.

Demon’s Soul does have better lighting, higher qualit + quantity of effects, etc.

Long post incoming.

I tried my best to produce high quality screenshots but when Youtube is the source, plus the site converts them from .png to .jpg, I can only go so far.

In this first screenshot, we see excellent geometry detail and extremely high resolution texture work. The foliage work is also really nice. The lighting off of the fire in the background also plays off nicely against the harsh cold color of the casle walls.

Here we see more of the excellent geometry and foliage detail. On top of that We see excellent motion blur that is free of banding.

Here we see excellent use of POM, on top of real time shadows that bend throughout the environment. It wouldn’t surprise me if these were the RT shadows mentioned to be in the game.

In these two shots, you can see some excellent artifact free volumentric lighting here, along with a ton of detail in the environment yet again.

To the right, you can see awesome shadow work in play here. Again, it would surprise me if these were the ray traced shadows.

More excellent examples of shadows, motion blur, destruction, lit particle effects, etc.

It’s not just about what each scene accomplishes, but how well everything fits together. The best uses of impressive graphical techniques are those that seamlessly merge together to create a beautiful image.

In contrast, the DS3 video I posed or even the RDR2 video show scenes with lower resolution textures and geometry.

3 Likes

Thank you. It seems we pretty much agree on what the improvements of DSR are. We just disagree on what makes something “next gen”, I think we can agree however that this improvement DSR has over last gen is a lot smaller then uncharted 3 to UC4, diminishing returns will be the reason for some of this, but I expect next gen games will look a lot better in a few years.

Thanks for putting so much work into this.

1 Like

I think there are going to be a lot of 1440p/60fps games next gen. Especially on the Ps5.

Series S will be fine though. If a game is 1440 on Ps5 it shouldn’t be too hard to get the game to 1080p on series S. Ps5 is barely double the power of the S.

1 Like

No RT on Demon’s Souls Remake on PS5, it is officially confirmed by Gavin Moore, Creative Director and member of SIE Japan Studio.

3 Likes