DF: Watch Dogs Legion - Xbox Series S|X RT performance tested

Nvidia had a tech interview for the rtx update where they said it was the expectation but in practice it didn’t make much a difference, but I don’t recall their reasoning (perhaps due minecraft increased draw distance making up for the simple geometry)

I’m honestly a bit disappointed with the performance of some launch lineup games such as Watchdogs. I still know that when the next Rockstar game releases, I will be grateful I bought a Series X.

2 Likes

Nah they will make it this is a new way to make money $600-$700 console is not bad for really powerful console. Sony will introduce slim version of PS5 and Pro version by that year

I don’t think you understand. This gen is radically different than prior gens. In the past you could do die shrinks which saved you lots of money. This time around, die shrinks make stuff smaller but the cost actually goes up a bit. There will be small saves in other areas (SSD will be cheaper, smaller chips can still mean less cooling needed, etc), but the overall cost of production won’t be going down very much.

That in turn means these new consoles will retain their current price points for a long, long time to come. Any new machines would be crazy expensive and not warrant dev support at all.

4 Likes

Watching that video and the Ray Tracing in WDL appears to be better overall on Series X than Spider Man for PS5. Alex said that RT in Spider Man has more draw distance for RT while WDL has reflections within reflections and something else that I can’t remember the name of. Watching the video on a full 1080p PC laptop, the game looks great so I can only imagine what it will look like when I eventually get an Xbox Series X and play it on there.

As for the PC version of WDL having better RT, is this even a surprise? PC gaming will always be better when it comes to visuals and whatnot because the tech is always superior due to it being upgraded every year compared to a console that gets upgraded twice a generation if that.

Console wise, WDL looks great. Wish there was a 60FPS option with RT but even at 30FPS, im really looking forward to playing it when the time comes.

3 Likes

Yea exactly not to mention i think it kinda shows that the game core dev kit is behind as we have known for months still looks good for what it is I can’t wait to see halo Infinite’s implementation i assume ray tracing will be in the game at launch now

1 Like

Game Core/SDK/GDK not being ready is disappointing but will be easily worth the wait in the years to come. I watched a FPS trailer for AC Valhalla and overall, PS5 runs better but a lot of the frame drops happen in the beginning of the video where it’s a cut scene and not in the player’s control. Throughout the video, the FPS never drops below 52FPS for XSX and it’s mostly at 60FPS for the duration of the video.

I look at it this way. PS5 is slightly ahead/winning but their entire tool set and everything is finalized yet XSX GC/SDK/GDK aren’t plus im pretty sure no game is fully utilizing Velocity Architecture and the Decompression Blocks so despite all of this, XSX is still equal or close to PS5 which tells me that once all those kits and whatnot get finalized and are in the developers hands, I don’t see PS5 coming out ahead at all for any multi-platform game as long as the developer fully utilizes everything at their disposal. And imagine when cross-gen ends. I wouldn’t be surprised if it becomes a slaughter in favor of XSX.

3 Likes

Agreed

2 Likes

Spiderman has a greater RT distance radius because there’s no dynamic passage of time/climate change.

So they don’t need to update the ray tracing structure(and quite possibly can even get away with a huge part of it not being updated at all). While WD needs to update everything when the light updates so at least every few frames.

Other than that, it seems everything on WD is equal or better. Same RT resolution (1080c), dynamic objects are updated every frame, no objects in the radius are skipped from the reflection, they use the same lods as you see for the reflections (Spiderman even on spiderman switches to a simpler model), inter reflections…

Regarding the PC comparison, the issue isn’t that PC is better, but that SX is having lower performance than the lowest RT gpu capable available. That’s a bit underwhelming, though RT specifically was said to be troubled by the GDK apis, so I hope eventually it gets a performance uplift.

Because AMD RT was never going to match the Nvidia implementation.

The high end one sure, but if the gap is that huge on 6800 and 6900 are merely on par with the bottom o last year’s nvidia offerings they are f*cked

Overall, I would say that the Ray Tracing in Watch Dogs Legion is very impressive especially considering the fact that it’s a cross-gen game and none of those kits were finished for developers. If there’s still issues two years from now or something, then there’s a problem but for launch, nah, if anything, it’s been more impressive just to see the Ray Tracing on consoles. And it will get even better as time progresses.

1 Like