DF: Watch Dogs Legion - Xbox Series S|X RT performance tested

this is not about PS5 VS XSX, this about not getting great ports games on the system like WTF lackluster lien-up and this now SMH

Yup! Exactly. Where are my super fast SSD load times?

1 Like

like i said it’s not about PS5 but if you want to go for that route then yeah at least PS5 SSD not performing worst than XSX SSD on next gen games

Firstly, you were the one to bring up the PS5, so don’t try to deflect when others call you out.

And no, for what was advertised, the XSX SSD should not be able to kept op with the PS5. So far, the XSX has not been performing worse as they perform equally, however, there is obvious room for improvement via patches.

1 Like

NVidia has 2 more years experience in RT now in hardware and software. This pays off.

Digital Foundry should do this test again when the 6800 launches next week. This would be interesting.

1 Like

All things aside, if the devkit is “crap” right now and we are seeing this performance on the XSX, I wonder how it will perform when the devkit has “matured.”

All things considered I am content with my purchase. I don’t know what they “other” are going on about…

AMD RT solution was always likely to be far less performant than Nvidia. That is what you are seeing here. The console RT is less capable and still is doing quite a lot on the GPU.

This is what you would expect and whilst I suspect some improvement in tooling and the API will help the RT performance will be around this level this gen.

2 Likes

I dunno, on March when Ms announced the SX it showcased a performance level around a 2080S ~ 2080ti in minecraft.

That Godfall developer footage running on a 6800 was also quite good and had RT, so while I don’t expect them to match Nvidia top performance, it doesn’t seem like it’s that low either.

The leaked GDK documentation from July did mention RT performance was poor, among other things because they excessively copied some big structures in some api calls, but we haven’t got any newer leak so it’s hard to see how close to final they are now.

It seems that at least it came super late both DMC5 and WD got their RT upgrades merely days from launch.

Neither will. There’s no route to meaningful cost savings and they won’t bother making new machines that cost $750+.

Ignoring the console wars element for a bit, I’d definitely argue this bodes really well for XVA which is not being utilized meaningfully at all yet. Far as we know, nobody is using SFS, which suggests there are still huge improvements to I/O efficiency waiting in the wings for Xbox.

2 Likes

Keep in mind the TMU’s likely aren’t doing much actual texture work in Minecraft, leaving open a lot more computations available for them to do RT (or path tracing).

1 Like

Basically, the advantages that both the consoles were supposed to have over each other are not there in pratical right now.

And yes, keeping console wars aside, i have high hopes from both the consoles to perform great in I/O. Most of the platform level stuff hasn’t been fully realised yet in third party games.

1 Like

Yea dev kits for the XSX is behind but that’s understandable. RDNA 2.0 features aren’t out yet for pc and MS just recently started talking about them. All games you see now have been in dev for years and the latest dev kit i heard was from June this year and still not fully utilizing all features. It is pretty good though that a 2060S, which is basically a 2070, is the current perf of XSX in RT. I imagine next year and beyond the RT on XSX will be alot better with tools and engines built specifically for XSX and RDNA 2.0 features. Good times ahead :slight_smile:

Also a feature in XSX, Sampler Feedback, isn’t on pc yet till a year or so out. Even then XSX has SFS which isn’t on pc too so devs have time to fully understand to use it

1 Like

That’s a good point indeed. In a regular game they might be limited.

Which makes me realize that features like SFS can bizarrely improve RT performance on SX

2 Likes

The answer is right here.

DX12 is having problem on PC already.

3 Likes

1 Like

Jesus, I have no idea what this means. 2060 Super is better than a 2060, right? But didn’t DF already say the RT difference was neglible?

Correct. The geometry in Minecraft makes it also easier to create and test high level bvh structures for ray traversal and hit test. So maybe it is more an idealized test case.

1 Like

DMC5SE Both systems perform equal in different areas.

Watch Dogs Legion Both systems very similar. Similar to 2060S

Now, we just wait for AC Valhalla bench to drop next. I’m predicting similar results, which, let’s be honest here - sucks.

I’m wondering if it is down to the whole devkit situation, or something else.

Edit:

:sweat: Welp.

I’m not certain that PS5’s SSD I/O isn’t being tapped into so far. It was designed so devs can leverage is with almost no extra work, and these teams had PS5 dev kits and a mature dev kit environment for a while now. That was kinda what I was getting at…if this mixed bag is devs using the PS5 SSD advantage as intended then XVA might blow that outta the water as games start leveraging SFS or ML texture upres.

2 Likes

True, disappointing but it’s the norm for console launches. It happens more and more as cross gen becomes more ingrained with the launches. Ambitious game design techniques take back seat for cross gen stuff but in year 2 it all changes pretty radically for the better.

1 Like