Deathloop is coming to Xbox and Game Pass September 20th

I’ll definitely try that, I kind of was thinking of starting with the first again as I think I’ve gotten further in that than in the others.

Prey is enhanced/boosted on Series X as well. It maintains One X settings (enhanced visuals, 1440p) at 60fps

2 Likes

The soundtrack of DEATHLOOP is just so good. I just killed my first Visionary but I’m loving this game so far, the overall Bond/Skyfall/GoldenEye atmosphere is so hypnotizing. And the art direction and game design are top notch.

Bless Arkane. They’re truly among the best in this industry.

6 Likes

Totally agree and to be honest perfect dark was the first thing I was reminded of when playing this game. That Spy Sci-Fi FPS atmosphere is so similar. But the structure here is much more bold and advanced of course. Such a fanatastic game

1 Like

So just chiming back in as I’ve just finished up at around 35 hours. I really enjoyed my time with Deathloop and think its a fantastic game. I think it falls short in a couple areas, particularly navigation, storytelling and pacing (I had a point where I got no dialogue between Colt and Julianna for about 7 hours of game time because i was stuck / exploring).

I understand that Deathloop wants you to dig around for its overarching narrative but I cant help but feel they could’ve done a better job conveying the basics. I am however excited that the ending seems to indicate a shared Dishonoured and even Prey shared universe.

The gameplay is awesome and the best part of the game, between the slabs, their modifiers and weapons. The 16 different play spaces felt good and i like how they changed organically based on the events of the day, but there definitely were times that i was re-treading the same route, but would then later find a different route (perhaps there needed to be some better signposting).

Unravelling the the micro stories of the visionaries and Julianna was interesting and fun and it felt very gratifying to build up to the final loop. Also the sound design, music and VA was all top tier for striking a particular vibe.

8.9 for me, just below Dishonoured 1+2 which I consider to be 9.5’s, but just above Prey which I consider to be a 8.5. Overall another fantastic entry from Arkane and I cant wait to see how they get on with Redfall.

3 Likes

I agree with your comments completely, I felt the game did open up around 2-3 hours into the game, however until that point I was wondering what all the fuss was about (I love Dishonored).

I think the first few hours could have been done much better, plus the general navigation wasn’t always clear as I often found myself trying to work out where/what something is. I completed it yesterday and I’m just glad that I pushed through those first few hours as it ended up being a brilliant game.

1 Like

I agree with some that it takes a little bit to get the hang of things, but man this game just keeps getting better and better for me. It is designed brilliantly in my opinion, and it absolutely makes me more excited than ever that Arkane is part of Xbox first party!

2 Likes

Took me about 44.5 hours. A solid 9 from me.

Just finished after 33 hours. For me it was very good, just not great. I’d play a sequel or prequel.

Two questions for those who’ve completed it:

1. What ending did you choose/get? What did you think of it? Did you check any alternate endings out, did it make you wish you’d made a different choice?

2. Has anyone here tried firing at Juliana when on the bridge, before you even get to the chairs? I fired once and missed, and then kept moving forward but the game launched the cutscene before I could shoot again. I’m curious if you can kill her without her even getting to say her piece.

As for my answer to 1:

I pulled the trigger as soon as Juliana said “If you pull the trigger.” No way was I going to not kill her. I’d come too far, and she was way too obnoxious and cryptic all the time. Having watched the other endings, I’m satisfied with the ending I chose. I’m glad she didn’t get her way.

2 Likes

I also killed her, I thought about whether or not Cole would keep the loop going to repair his relationship with his daughter but ultimately I decided her position was pretty messed up - as the only being in a timeloop who was aware of the time loop (except for odd periods of awareness from Cole) everyone but her was trapped in a meaningless and unending loop. There was no merit to keeping it going beyond selfish reasons on her or Coles part. I think this was the right choice.

As for the latter, I know you COULD but whether you still can I don’t know. But I checked out some speed runs after beating the game (because this seemed like exactly the sort of game to have an entertaining speed run to watch) and people managed to shoot her through a tiny gap in the door before even entering the final chamber so they could just immediately jump down the pit. They mention in some of the speedruns that they are specifically working on unpatched versions cause some of the glitches they exploit have been fixed, so there’s a chance it doesn’t work any more.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks for that. :+1: I did a little bit of Googling and YouTubing to try to answer the question, but didn’t think of checking out speedruns.

Speaking of YouTube, I also wanted to recommend a video I just watched. If anyone’s got any questions about the story or backstory, this video does a great job in explaining everything that went on before the game began, everything that went on during it, and speculates a bit about what’s going on after it. Definitely worth a watch:

2 Likes

This is great!

1 Like

I finished this one last night, and man it was quite the ride for me. I can definitely see why this one was on some GOTY lists, and it really gets me excited about Arkane.

4 Likes

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6520589.p?skuId=6520589

It’s $29.99 now.

1 Like