Call of the Sea will be released on December 8

Not sure on that one, I pinged the devs on it

Yeah, this!

I can’t deny that right now I wish MS just would have stuck with XDK. That way I bet all released games so far wouldn’t have struggled as much as they’ve done now. ACV, WDL would have been the best on XSX, raytracing would probably have been in Call of the Sea and Observer too.

Nope, they wouldn’t have been able to brag about having RDNA2 before launch, but the situation at the moment would have been better. That being said, I still hope and expect that things will pick up, that RDNA2 will turn out to be something great and worth waiting for. I especially hope the much smaller devs won’t get inro too much problems.

The Series X will be viable for 6 to 7 years it’s a wiser decision to play the longer game with a more unified and advanced tool set then to stick with the old tools just to get some cross gen launch games in a little better shape. MS made the right decision to wait for full RDNA 2 and produce more advanced tools for the long haul.

Like they say hindsight is 20/20.

When the decision to move to GDK was made they likely didn’t even entertained the idea of covid being a thing.

Though I do wonder when that decision was made. Leaks from 2018 said GDK was going to be the new development environment after 1/2 years and that the launch games were going to use XDK.

Perhaps it was even the plan to add rdna2 and their features to XDK but with AMD itself seemingly coming hot with rdna2 that was not possible too.

I can agree with that, we just don’t see it at the moment yet and all we can do is guess and speculate when we’re really gonna see it come to fruition. But Spencer isn’t dumb, he knew what he/they were doing. So it’s undoubtedly a matter of time. The fact that devs like Ubi (well, PR) was stressing how ACV was actually native 4K on XSX, the only version didn’t help either. Or the way Ubi worded some things for raytracing for WDL and Far Cry. Speaking of that, FC is hopefully where we see a big improvement. It’s next gen only, if I’m not mistaken.

Let’s hope sooner rather than later the majority of devs will adjust to it. I just want to see this system being used to its full advantage and coming out on top in all the tests. The power is there, that’s for damn sure. Now they need to tackle the challenges and overcome them.

Finished the game with every single achievement. Found everything. All diary entries, notes, endings etc. Good story. Beautiful atmosphere and art direction. Great puzzles.

It was a really nice change of pace and a really good game. Really enjoyed my time with it.

Worth my time. I recommend it.

Thanks Gamepass!

Bonus: Really nice looking game.

5 Likes

Found that its running much better and the visuals are great even without hdr.

I like how you phrase this here. Really feels like Game Pass changes the perception of game quality from ‘is this worth my money’ to ‘is this worth my time’. I think when xCloud gets into high gear that will really boost GP too since trying a new game will be accessible the touch of a button instantly on demand.

There were 2 puzzles I thought were really poorly designed near the end. One never made sense to me and the other required ya to explore the area way more broadly than other ones did and without any indication of needing that step. I really like games where stories aren’t all about saving he world too. These more personal narratives that are imaginative are really welcome for my tastes.

3 Likes

I started this game up. Immediately made me nauseous. Messed with the settings to try to fix it. No luck. Deleted the game immediately.

If Microsoft was playing the short game then ya xdk was the way to go. But a year from now they will be reaping the benefits of switching over. And they will continue to reap those benefits for 5-10 years.

2 Likes

I really hope so! A year doesn’t sound too bad honestly and all things considered…i think it could have been much worse too.