Call of the Sea Review Thread & OT - Available on Game Pass

To switch over to Bloober, let’s also not pretend that their games are technical marvels either, and they have a ton more experience with games.

Remember how bad Blair Witch was at launch? Shudder

2 Likes

I couldn’t finish the game. There was a bug where a big rock appears in the entrance of the witch’s house and if I force my entrance I get stuck. A few patches later and my save won’t even load. Insta crash the game.

1 Like

Some developers are what they are irrelevant of tools.

2 Likes

I think Bloober would be one helluva horror game developer if they just focused on one project at a time. I think they’re spread to thin for a company of that size.

I think within two years they made:

• Layers of Fear 2
  • Blair Witch
  • Observer Redux
  • The Medium

That’s alot for a group of Bloober’s size.

I think that’s why an acqusition by MS could help Bloober out. They would have the money to focus on one to two titles at a time with greater access to resources.

I ain’t hoping this to be Firewatch level good or anything cuz that’s a hard ask, but I’m sure this will be enjoyable. I just hope that the expo dump approach is not too severe like in their recent walkthrough but throughout the game, cuz that immediately put me off.

And funnily enough, same voice actress as Delilah from Firewatch but completely different setting and character type, will check this out sometime in the coming week!

Damn…might hold off til RT is in. Hmmm.

It’s odd. Inside the ship it’s fine, once on the little boat to the island it’s fine too. But then once on the island it seems fine if you go left or right but if you head for the goal it has these weird micro stutters. Kinda reminds me of Layers of Fear, it had those stutters too.

Definitely waiting for this to be fixed. I’m in no rush at all to hurry through this.

And as for the whole dev-console talk. We have plenty of new games now and while not performing 100% up to what XSX can do, it’s not like this. So I doubt it’s the system. Well, maybe the developers also have to adjust to this hardware.

Gamersyde analyzed the PC version and no issues there.

1 Like

I get motion sickness from bad first person games, that stuttering shit has to be fixed. It’s always indie games… sigh. Is it so hard?

1 Like

Yep, you’re not wrong.

Layers of Fear (I assume the sequel too)

Blair Witch

Observer

And more that I can’t think of right now. The above are all Bloober Team games too. Hopefully The Medium is fine in this regard.

1 Like

The Medium should be in 3rd person though, right? That at least makes it playable…

Godamn… I was looking forward to Call of the Sea. :frowning:

It’s the first Xbox exclusive too, it’s a bummer. But surely the developers will fix it.

1 Like

Weird, finished the first chapter and the second one starts with a much more open area and yet runs a lot better XD

1 Like

As a tech matter, the game is SUPER inconsistent and gets real rough later on. The story is really, really neat though and very unique. Puzzles are mostly real good too. I liked the one with the organ that most complained about, but there was another not long after it that was not explained at all in the game afaik. Had to guess and check on it, but it was the only puzzle in the game that way, which is real solid imo. Music and acting and writing are all top notch too!

3 Likes

regardless of technical issues I will try it today. Give my thoughts later :slight_smile:

Guess I can hold till some patches come in.

Played about an hour yesterday on my Series X and really enjoyed it, It will definitely be in my current rotation. People as always are over exaggerating the technical issues, a few drops from 60FPS especially in a slower paced game like this is not a deal breaker.

I’m almost finished with chapter three. Sure there are some frame dips now and then. But it never ceases to amaze me how the internet can blow things out of proportion. The game is never rendered anywhere near unplayable. Any insinuation otherwise is comedic. So far its pretty enjoyable.

1 Like

Are any of you prone to motion sickness in bad first person games? I really want to play this game, but just testing it, if its bad, will put me to bed for the rest of the day so not very tempting.

A few frame dips here and there doesn’t bother me, but stuttering, headbobbing, narrow FOV and motion blur can be very bad.

No it is real bad later on, like seemed to be in 20’s. And some of the level design gets real bad too. It is very inconsistent.

I am incredibly prone to motion sickness. It isn’t just FPS games, something like Mario Kart 8 basically cripples me after about 10 minutes. Playing Ion Fury on PC recently did the same thing to me. So far in this I haven’t had any issues. The camera movement is a bit lethargic on default settings (I haven’t checked to see if they can be changed), and there is no doubt it has has performance issues here and there, but overall it hasnt’ been terrible.

1 Like