BREAKING: Microsoft has officially acquired Activision-Blizzard-King

I was personally more of a Vigilante 8 fan but a modern remake of either would be freaking awesome! :sunglasses: - I donā€™t want to admit how many hours I spent on Vigilante 8 :rofl:.

Youā€™re welcome. Been watching it since yesterday.

3 Likes

A variation of that thread there and elsewhere is created every single time MS or Xbox are the main news item. Itā€™s consistent.

Itā€™s a variation of the argument Colin Moriarty made on the Jez/Rand podcast a couple of months back. That MS buying creators is bad because MS is not a good creative company - they have no successful created history unlike Sony who have games, movies and music. His argument is that all the MS successes in games have not been creatively based but instead been predominantly about tech (Ethernet port etc) or services development. Itā€™s a nonsense.

But itā€™s clearly what the PS fanboy circles are peddling.

The pervasive idea that Sony and Nintendo are just pushing out 10/10 genre defining games and MS simply canā€™t is the biggest lie Iā€™ve ever heard. Iā€™d say MS are releasing more genre defining titles than Sony ever will be able to.

11 Likes

Basically game pass in the 40-45 million range (targeting 100m by 2029) + what we know CoD sells is going to overshadow every Playstation release. Forever.

Xbox therefor has a ā€œqualityā€ issueā€¦ because its quantityā€¦ whoo boy.

1 Like

I looked at Sonyā€™s games in the last few years, while great technically and graphically, they have been done by other studios like Ubisoft or Rockstar. Microsoft has games that not a lot can replicate and that are unique like BGS games, Hifi Rush, Sea of Thieves, Obsidian games such as Pentiment or Grounded and future games such as Everwild or Blizzards Odyssey. If that is not creativity and groundbreaking, I donā€™t know what is.

2 Likes

The problem is these folks are fully invested in that lie

5 Likes

People need to be more transparent.

Microsoft is going to be a Monopoly! - Even with this acquisition they are THIRD in gaming revenue!

This just takes games away from gamers! Less people can play! - This deal is going to give games to Nintendo players and mobile players at the expense of PlayStation gamers, so a net GAIN in being able to play.

Studios will start sucking cause Microsoft sucks look at Redfall!! - You mean a game that Xbox was regrettably fully hands off for? This is going to cost jobs!! - Activision was selling, jobs were going to be lost no matter what, Xbox is planning on actually keeping most of the publishing division jobs, which the others would have mostly gotten rid of.

This is bad for developers! - Itā€™s objectively great cause Microsoft is letting unions form and they are excited.

At the end of the day the only people this hurts is PlayStation players and benefits literally everyone else. Just like you know, how when Sony moneyhats games and it is only ever on PlayStation consoles and ignores Pc and everything else, actually taking games away from the MAJORITY.

Edit: This has potential to possibly be bad for the industry in the long term but itā€™s not moving into that direction at all.

2 Likes

I feel the whole argument is that Microsoft doesnā€™t make third party AAA action adventure games. However , I feel goalpost will be moved when hellblade 2 releases

yeah if anything the fact they kept the publishing arm of bethesda tells me they want each to be autonomous and have the identity when it would have been cut for redundancy sake

3 Likes

They have Gears 6, Indiana Jones, Hellblade 2 and probably others that will fill this void but like you said, once Hellblade 2 releases, the goalpost will definitely be moved yet again.

6 Likes

A dominant MS is a good thing for all of us. Play on your Xbox, PC, ROG Ally, Steam Deck, cellphone, smart TVā€¦ all that for 16$ a month! None of the big 3 have that kind of reach, only MS van deliver on that. Almost wish theyā€™d make all their stuff available on Switch to be honest; Xbox would still sell as the high end version of all games but having everything portable on Switch would be incredible and itā€™s always more smooth/stable than on a handheld PC.

ABK is 20K people. This would be a nightmare to integrate it right away in MS staff from a Human Ressources point of view. Also, too much integration would be seen as aggressive by the regulators that will look into MS keeping his promises.

An ignorant question, I guess from today any Activision game purchased is money going to Microsoft?

Itā€™s okay for Playstation to moneyhat(and all the other shit they donā€™t get criticized for that others would) because according to some people Playstation is the majority.

2 Likes

Griffin Gaming with a new video. And of course heā€™s covering DC Clown that made a fool out of himselfā€¦as usual.

6 Likes

Yes.

4 Likes

MS canā€™t integrate ABK yet. Until all the FTC stuff is done, they could theoretically be asked to divest, so keeping things structurally separate is necessary.

They were always going to run ABK as a mostly separate entity anyways as specified in their court testimony. The FTC clown court proceedings arenā€™t preventing anything.

The findings from the FTC proceedings are not binding to the FTC anyways. They would need to go into Federal court to force a divestiture. They have lost in federal court already. They will not win their federal appeal.

10 Likes

https://x.com/aringoldsmith/status/1712960293255668131?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

14 Likes

They were doing that anyway as they have with Bethesda. FTC ainā€™t changing a thing. As usual.

9 Likes