Bloomberg: Microsoft Sets Sights on Sony’s Home Turf in Game Console Clash

Good of them for still trying to sell Xbox there but I think it’s not gonna make much of a change. Also, isn’t Japan much more about Arcade these days? I recall reading that even Playstation isn’t doing as good as it used to there.

As for acquisitions, this is promising. It’s clear MS is back, in a big way. First they started “small time” with new studios and then BAM out of the blue Zenimax. And the search for more studios continues. Love it.

Yeah but a factor of 101 better than you is not a good look lol. They need to do better there, not PlayStation better but atleasf a 2 a 3 percent rather than 0.1% they are doing now.

1 Like

You don’t give money to the same scammers that scammed you before. Talented as their creative department was, they scammed MS to bleed them for cash. And I wouldn’t wish to get back into an agreement with a management like that.

The timing is weird. We should prepare for another bomb tomorrow.

1 Like

to me Its 50/50 would I be shocked if something big happens no would I be shocked if nothing happen no that being said I would love some big shit to happen haha

1 Like

They certainly could use a major developer from Japan to bolster their already industry-leading first party. Combine Tango, who is already a legendary studio with the one and only Shinji Mikami, and combine it with another top tier Japanese dev and things will start to get really interesting.

2 Likes

I think a Sega Xbox Series X|S might sell well in Japan. At the end of the day, they need to get streaming right in the market. But they also need some games and a living room presence for that. Just makes so much sese. That will help with everything in Asia

Even if there’s no acquisition, just the fact that they’re making inroads with Japanese devs makes me SO happy. In seflish terms, an acquisition is better for me because it means more stuff on Game Pass, but even just a partnership means more variety of games on the platform itself. I really hope that Yakuza 7 and Dragon Quest XIS are an indication of things to come!

1 Like

Not just that, the entire Dreamcast library in backwards compatible (where applicable due to licensing of course)? Naomi Arcade games? Model 3 Arcade games? All of the RPGs SEGA made over the years? (Many of which were more than a Match for what Square, Enix or Square Enix put out :P). All the mascots? All the family friendly gaming properties? The ability to launch SEGA branded hardware in areas were SEGA still has a bigger name than Xbox?

I can go on for a while, it would be a great purchase provided they aren’t overpaying for it. I am a bit worried people are too sure it’ll happen. As the delay of Yakuza Like a Dragon, was… weird.

1 Like

Just to point out that emulating any of those platforms’ games and making them available for purchase wouldn’t technically make Xbox “backward compatible” with them. Backward compatibility as a concept necessitates the ability to play games released on the original format, whether physical or digital. For instance, there are many Neo Geo games available on Xbox One, but that doesn’t mean that Xbox One is BC with Neo Geo. That’s also why PS2 games available on PS4 are not a form of BC, because you can’t use your old PS2 discs nor digital PS2 Classics purchased on PS3.

2 Likes

Didn’t know that Level-5 did they same thing Platinum Games did. Why are Level-5 so salty about Microsoft if they are in the wrong ?

They did far worse than what platinum did. With platinum it was a misunderstanding …with level 5 they actively showed ms unfinished tech demos and funneled the money to Ps2 exclusive projects.

They then acted as if they were the victim by saying Microsoft didn’t know how to do business in Japan. It is a very interesting story to read, with a lot of different points of views and sources, but in general… Yeah they tried to scam Microsoft lol.

Look it up of you want an interesting afternoon heh.

1 Like

I just call it backwards compatibility as it is easier then to start with more paragraphs about how it is done technically. I meant however, that for old master system and Megadrive games you just have an app on gamepass with all the sega published games playable in there, were licensing allowed. And for Saturn and higher you go on a per game basis…

Technically not bc of course.

Interesting, I had never heard about this. I found this wiki page on the Level-5 page, is this what you were referring to?

Edit: Bafflingly, the ostensible link to the Edge article in the sources leads to a Japanese match-making website???

Of course, and I agree that would be great. Sorry if it feels like I’m nitpicking, I just think that we should be using the correct terms, so that people who don’t quite understand all of that don’t get the wrong idea.

1 Like

If the Series S + X don’t do well in japan I don’t think xbox will ever do well there. Apple and probably other American companies do well in japan so maybe there is hope for xbox over there. The seriesS will surely temp some people there with its small size and low power.

I thank you for your insistence as a frequent skimmer. But to get back to the subject at hand, it would be rad to have some of SEGA’s old back-catalogue available on Xbox!

I’ll look up some interviews, most of the websites put the blame at Microsoft due to MS not wishing to talk about it, and the other side giving interviews with hints that “they didn’t party on good terms”. But there are some interviews with former MS execs out there that talk about what had happened. Problem is, of course those are ignored (just like with Scalebound - funny that, on Other ERA I was one of the few that looked forward to it, and everybody was moaning about the guy’s headphones? And then it was cancelled and EVERYBODY wanted to play it and it was MS’s fault! :stuck_out_tongue: - ).

I’ll find some. It doesn’t help that a lot of “Level 5 Microsoft technician!” articles come up, and every website is abusing the search algorithms to get their click bait about the new consoles at the top of the searches XD.

Thanks, I appreciate it! It sounded really interesting but I ran into the same search engine issues and gave up lol

Yeah it’s annoying if not even Wikipedia can find the interviews anymore about “them not parting amicably”. It’s stuff that’s over 15 years old by now though, if you do wish to keep looking: Neogaf (I know… you have to plow through shitloads of Alt Right shitheels) and Resetera (Don’t let them bann you for saying something about their precious toys ;)) might have some articles that are easier to search for.

I’ll keep searching as well. From what I remember: They used funding to grow studios for Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy. Which from their financial view made sense of course, but since it was MS her funding, they wished the studio that dealt with TFLO to grow. I was so sad when it was cancelled though :(.