Bang & Olufsen Beoplay Portal Xbox Headset Revealed (Reviews and more here)

It’s worth it for me to listen to audio on Xbox alone.

You guys need to take an edible and listen to Spotify on Headphones with Dolby Atmos enabled. It’s an incredible experience, nothing else like it in terms of spatial audio.

1 Like

Love that the Dolby Atmos subscription comes with the headphones.

Really want to pull the trigger on these because I love the idea of a 1 headset for everything but I really love the navy blue but they don’t come out till June.

Got them! Absolute stellar experience so far. The set up is super easy and it basically works like every Xbox Controller when you want to connect to your console. The Bang & Olufsen App is also fantastic. Music is god tier to be honest. Gaming also very good. Tried Gears 5 with Dolby Atmos and it’s definitely a bigger soundroom and more detail than what I had with my steelseries. Very good first impressions for me. The headset itself is top tier quality wise and gestures are intuitive. Ask away if you have questions.

3 Likes

Nice! I’m gonna cop me a pair of the Navy/Copper ones once they drop later this summer.

1 Like

How do you fine the ear cups (materials/shape)?

This is my biggest question. I haven’t found a solid answer yet. For an average human head and ears, are these on-ear or over-ear? On-ear are an immediate disqualification for me; I have scar tissue on the back of my ears that gets compressed with on-ear models. I need the cups to squeeze my melon and not my ears themselves.

I believe they are on ear. I’ve found a couple of reviews that mention that they are very lightweight and comfortable, but I was curious about @Khalid117x first hand experience with them.

£449 and on ear? Yikes…

Hate to sound like a broken record, haha, but how do you experience the bass in games like Gears 5 with these? I have zero doubts that the overall sound experience is amazing, but what about that punchy, rumbly bass? :slight_smile:

So yeah, they are very lightweight over all. The center of gravity is more towards the earcups. My steelseries were more even, so more weight to the headband which is wearing you out pretty quickly and you have a stark pain at the top of your head. These are better and feel super comfortable. No pain yet. The earcups are overear but feel smaller than the steelseries, but still big enough for my ears. They also use super nice materials, very soft leather on the earcups which feels nicer than the usual artificial stuff other headsets use. I think I can wear these way longer than usual headsets.

1 Like

They are over ear, not on ear

1 Like

Perfecto, that’s what all the reviews I’ve watched have said (Parris even posted a mini review yesterday about them).

The material used are lamb skin and bamboo, the whole package is premium. :ok_hand:t5::ok_hand:t5::ok_hand:t5:

1 Like

So Gears 5 is an amazing showcase for this headset, especially the first act. Dolby Atmos has really room now, like it sounds like stuff is farer away instead of in your head if you know what I mean. I like that a lot. The Bass is top notch really, it’s super detailed (I honestly have never heard a rich bass like this) . But you definitely want to use the Bang & olufsen app to steer it towards more bass since it’s default EQ is more tuned to rich detailed sound. I think my Steelseries have more Boom overall, but the sound is not near the quality of the B&O. A lot gets crushed with my steelseries under the bass that I just now noticed. So yeah I am super happy with the experience so far. Unfortunately I only can compare them to the steelseries and you milage of improvement may very. But it 100% sounds super high end. “Set a fire in your heart” from the Halo Infinite soundtrack was extremely impressive on these.

2 Likes

The only negative thing I could say is that it does not come with any kind of case, B&O sell those for an extra 100$ :joy: It’s a minor thing, but still you should know. It comes with a usb-c to a and a 3,5mm headphone jack cable. And the headset. That’s it. The packaging is nice but still wish I could transport these safely. Because they look as expensive as they are, especially the metal plates on the earcups look super nice in contrast to the rest of the headset and I don’t want to get it scratched or anything

1 Like

That does sound good! I haven’t written these off yet completely for some time in the future, it’s just something I can’t afford right now. I bet that in overall sound it will beat my Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 as well. Maybe not in bass completely but overall for sure.

The thing is I only game with Headphones, since I like to play loud and get full immersed in games and my neighbours always complained when I used my AV set up. So now it’s the only way for me to experience it the way I like. This totally does it for me and I was lucky that I had the change to spare. I especially like how easy it is to use and connect. When you turn it on it automatically connect to your phone and Xbox very fast. And you can switch between phone and Xbox with a press of a Button on the headset itself. Thats So nice. Also a very minor thing that I really aprecxiate. The headset turns on immediatly after you press the Power Button one time. On my steelseries I had to hold the Power Button down, which in practice is super annoying :sweat_smile:

It’s those little things that definitely make life easier, haha. With my TB I still have to power it on, but when I turn the XSX off the TB does too, that I like.

The only thing I wonder about with the B&O is battery life. I believe one YouTuber said 12 hours or so when you connect it wireless to Xbox, which is the only thing I’d use it for. I barely listen to music. 12 hours is a bit on the short side for such a pricey one I feel.

Yup, as per the B&O official spec sheet you get up to 12 hours with Xbox wireless, Bluetooth and Active Noise Cancelling. Up to 24 hours with Bluetooth and Active Noise Cancelling.

Let me check that for you at the weekend. But I think there is a reason they mention 24hrs for Bluetooth and no mentioning of only wireless (that’s what Xbox uses) so I guess it will be between 12 and 24 hrs. I always use Bluetooth and wireless simultaniously for now, since the App is so nice and I am still in the phase where I try out a lot of stuff. I don’t use ANC because I like to hear myself when I play with others and I tend to scream when I don’t hear myself.