Bang & Olufsen Beoplay Portal Xbox Headset Revealed (Reviews and more here)

I just want high end audio quality from this headset. Most gaming headsets are fine in this regard but don’t put in that extra effort. I hope B&O delivers in that aspect. The other big plus for me is that they use the Xbox Wireless protocol. I hate the dongle and added side effects of the steelseries in that regard and use them wired most of the time, because of this. It would be really nice if you could just connect this headset to my console as my controllers do. 500$ is a lot of money, but I am willing to spend that if the audio is above and beyond your other gaming headsets. I just want the best possible experience when Halo drops later this year :smile:

I pre-ordered these yesterday :slight_smile: I have the Xbox Wireless Headset too, so I will give impressions once I get them hopefully next week.

1 Like

Can’t wait for this pandemic to get over so I can try and fly to US and get one among other stuff

Yep, that was the least expected :frowning:

So I received these bad boys today, and my first reaction with limited testing is that the audio quality is on a completely different level than anything I have owned before - WOW!. My audiophile teenage son was blown away too. Music through Bluetooth from my phone is crazy good, the Dolby Atmos 3D audio demos that I have played through the Xbox Dolby App never sounded as good as this in terms of fidelity and surround sound effect, and my limited Minecraft Dungeons gameplay on Xbox had me hearing things such as the clear clang of my sword and such that I had never heard before (balance of music and in game sounds was amazing). I need more time for in game testing on things such as Assassin’s Creed Valhalla that I have put a ton of hours into, but these are definitely a major “banger” for me so far :slight_smile: I also need some testing with the virtual mic too.

One really big thing that I believe to be true that would be an issue for some compared to the Xbox Wireless headset would be that it doesn’t appear initially at least that they support simultaneous Xbox wireless audio with Bluetooth audio (maybe software update could provide an option later?), but that isn’t much of a concern for my personal use most of the time especially after hearing the insane audio quality. They have a 3.5mm jack too, so I will be testing these with my PS5 so that I can quit using the Pulse 3D headset that I don’t really care for. I really like the Xbox Wireless Headset which is just amazing value and good quality for the price, and I will be keeping it for family use, travel, maybe multiplayer gaming scenarios if the mic setup ends up better than my testing of the virtual mic on the Beoplay Portal and some simultaneous use scenarios.

These are clearly a very premium audio option that isn’t for everyone, but even my non-Audiophile ears are now a believer in these.

7 Likes

Shows you my normal price-range. I never even heard of Bang and Olufsen, before this week

Sounds like a Korean/Scandinavian bar & grille

1 Like

What other headsets have you tested before this? Simply out of curiosity so I can find out how these compare to that. :slight_smile:

What you described does sound really good. Clarity of audio is incredibly important. But there’s one thing you didn’t touch on, something that for me really is key.

how is the bass?

“why doesn’t xbox make a high end headset” (while the 99$ xbox wireless releases) they release a big boy headset and it’s "why is it so expensive "(people who wanted a high end headset)

you get what you pay for… but these are way too rich for my ears.

2 Likes

Which is strange as the Beoplay HX is the same price (they are the same in regards to the innards when it comes to sound) does include a carrying case.

That being said, I’m on the fence deciding to get either the Beoplay HX or the Beoplay Portal, the only difference I can find between the two are the lack of “Xbox Wireless” with the HX and as mentioned earlier the lack of a carrying case with the Portal.

Great review, he pretty much covers all the questions I’ve seen in this thread.

Yeah, this is a great channel.

He makes it very clear how amazing the sound is, especially go music. He finds it hard to justify the price if you just want to use them for gaming and he said in terms of bass it’s fairly restrained. If you want a nice rumble, a nice punchy bass with COD when stuff blows up…these won’t really do it.

That’s all I needed to know, because a strong bass is just 100% a necessity for me with gaming. Also that mic sounds disappointing in how friends will hear you. There are insane cheap headsets with a more clear sounding mic. The other features of the mic do sound really nice though.

I’m sticking with what I already have.

I would love to know the difference between the Arctis 9x and this in terms of sound quality. I listen to a lot of music on Xbox because Sonic audio and Dolby Atmos

1 Like

What are you currently using?

In regards to the bass he mentions that the default profile is relatively flat, but you can EQ it with the potential to be best in class. On that note, B&O favour natural tuning and accuracy over everything else out of the box and leave the tuning (EQ) up to the consumer to suit their personal preference.

I have the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2.

I definitely would like to demo these, but 500 is a lot of money, and for just a game headset (I barely listen to music) it’s way too much. Also I find 12 hours of battery life disappointing too, when we have headsets nowadays that easily last 20+.

It does 24 hours when not running Xbox wifi and BT simultaneously

1 Like

Yup, up to 12 hours with Xbox wireless, Bluetooth and Active Noise Cancelling. Up to 24 hours with Bluetooth and Active Noise Cancelling.

1 Like

Well I have 700 dollars in Amazon credit, I know where that’s going to be spent on now. This headset seems to be an incredible audiophile pair.

1 Like

Yup, I’m just trying to decide what colour to get (the Navy looks incredible).

That’s my choice as well, they look very unique and buy still minimalistic.

1 Like

Yeah, the only issue is that it’s not available in Navy or Grey Mist yet… So a bit more waiting.

I wouldn’t normally consider paying this much, but them not looking like a gaming headset means they can serve as a high end pair of normal headphones makes it much better to me.

1 Like