Asus ROG Ally Discussion Thread

Just having the ability to play Microsoft games and using Windows OS is enough for them to not really going all in the handheld market. It’s why they advertised it as their own.

Here’s hoping that windows 11 mobile experiment gets picked up for handheld pcs.

For all yall Xbox handheld haters, don’t whistle a different tune in a few years. :wink:

2 Likes

Thirty minutes of DF Asus Rog Ally video.

1 Like

So has anyone gotten one yet?

I’m keeping an eye on it, feels like I’ll get one eventually, just a matter of when I jump in.

I haven’t done any serious PC gaming since the late nineties, so forgive me if this is a stupid question:

What are the chances this thing can run Starfield in a reasonably playable state?

Can that question even be answered prior to the game’s release? If not, does anyone have a best guess?

edit: There are different opinions, but it seems like it could have a chance to run at 720p30 according to some of the posters at /r/ROGAlly:

https://old.reddit.com/r/ROGAlly/comments/14765ak/i_think_the_ally_has_a_fair_chance_to_run_the/

I feel the same way. It boils down to if it will be able to handle the games I’m interested in. Starfield being at the absolute top of that list.

1 Like

I got it but there are some issues. I’m trying to change the SSD to increase the storage and the cloud recovery isn’t working to restore Windows. I downloaded some games that didn’t work on the Steam Deck like Final Fantasy 13 and it plays great! Diablo 4 had frame issues even in the performance mode.

3 Likes

I picked mine up today. Spent all afternoon/evening doing updates and downloading games. Haven’t actually played anything yet.

Hardware seems nice so far. I like the form factor better than the Steam Deck. It comes with Steam and the Xbox app preinstalled. I had no issues also downloading Epic and GOG and getting them integrated into Armory Crate.

The screen is nice and I definitely prefer having a Windows handheld versus the Linux (or whatever) of the Steam Deck. I know Windows is not perfect for this use case, but I’ve been using it for 30 years so I am used to working around its issues.

I’ll update more when I have actually played some games.

8 Likes

Mine didn’t came yesterday, so probably today :woman_shrugging:.

Update:

4 Likes

I picked one up on launch day.

I will be honest I only wanted it to play some Xbox games on the go or when outside my living room. So I just used the Xbox pc store.

So far outside of one weird hiccup were the time wasn’t set so I couldn’t launch anything. It’s been pretty solid, the only game that I had any issues running was Forspoken (demo) unsure if the device isn’t capable of running a larger title like that or if Forspoken is just unoptimized.

Battery isn’t great as within 2-3 hours of use gaming it needs a charge.

If you have the cash and think this style of device is the future gaming is headed I do recommend the ally, great companion device for Xbox only Players, or if you are mostly a pc Player outside of mouse and keyboard focused games works very well.

1 Like

So far, still setting up and updating apps :face_holding_back_tears:. PC gaming :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, for my use case (travelling) I think a 65w power bank will have to be standard equipment. This is the one I’ve seen recommended the most:

Although that’s only 10,000 mah, so I feel like something like this would be better suited:

3 Likes

Any particular reason you’re not just using a high-speed SD card?

1 Like

Oh nice, I’ll take a look into some of those.

My main concern is just what’s the limit for the games I can play like Forspoken was at min 15-17 frames on the Xbox store version but I do see it required 16 gb of ram and the ally only had 11 usable.

Gonna download death stranding and lies of p demo and see how those fair

I know this is really a stretch of a question, but is there anything reasonable to setup Android gaming on this device? Or even on Windows 11 PC in general? Nothing demanding, but would be nice to play some of those tablet/mobile titles as well.

You should be able to get an android emulator running in windows 11 so in theory it should work on the ally

1 Like

Now you got me curious more so than before.

Can someone do a check for me on FH5 using DF’s recommended xbox series quality settings at 1080p

I am looking for 30-40 fps

Oh well I was going to use my SD card I bought for the Steam Deck but the ROG Ally doesn’t recognize it.

1 Like

Update I bought a Steam Dock and I had a wired connection to do the cloud recovery and it’s working and updating!

1 Like