Anthem Next is cancelled (Official)

I don’t blame you. Vote with your wallet. And they flatout lied.

1 Like

I commend Bioware for the creative risk they took since apparently this was something they really wanted to make but the reality is that they wasted like 4.5 years of dev time before getting anything meaningful done + 2 since release. Nothing substantial got done to improve the game be it with content or actual rework done besides the conceptualization of 2.0 (even before Covid) and when the time for EA to decide the fate in the game came it was a fairly trivial business decision. Anthem is a meme with nothing good besides the visuals and the mechs and an example of what can happen when GaaS goes absolutely wrong and we hope they (and the industry) learned a lesson. So Im happy Bioware can now focus on delivering what their actual fans want instead of chasing the next Destiny.

On a more personal level I will never forgive Bioware for wasting time on Anthem and throwing Andromeda out to the wolves like a second rate IP (I do blame EA for giving up on expansions here too early).

2 Likes

Yeah I’m still pissed about this as well (which is why I rushed in to post before thinking earlier). Not sure I’d say that I’ll never forgive them but it does still bug me.

Andromeda was such a great idea for a fresh start in the Mass Effect setting. The game itself is nowhere near as bad as the good old internet made it seem. In fact I think it’s a fantastic action RPG with the best combat system in the series so far & some crew mates (like Drack, the old Krogan) that are up there with the best.

Aye, the faces were tired but come on. It’s such a fun game. It could’ve been the start of an awesome new trilogy but now we’ll probably never get a sequel. Which sucks.

& I’m sure this is how people who loved Anthem are feeling right now. Worse actually, because Anthem is now totally dead. At least Mass Effect is coming back in some form (we think, anyway). So again, I apologise to everyone for being mean spirited earlier & saying it was good that Anthem got canned. Given the choice, I do want more Mass Effect or Dragon Age but this must suck for you guys who were excited for Anthem’s future.

4 Likes

@anon15396042 My only hope is that they are doing “Mass Effect 4” to get people back and eventually return to Andromeda. Id like to think the storylines and characters built up over there arent going to go to waste. I find the whole Jardaan story and the Keth super interesting more than the Protheans Id say.

2 Likes

I doubt that they will, the masses and their “Shepard or bust” and “Milky Way or bust” attitude may have doomed a return to that setting.

Apparently DA4 is a single player standalone game, no forced GaaS.

I guess the news about EA letting the studios do their own thing has at least some truth to it

2 Likes

YESSIRR

Respawn literally carried EA the entire gen outside the fifa license.

I’m glad JFO selling well informed them to not force online live service bullshit onto everything and see that oh damn, singleplayer games are pretty cool too. No one should be mad about this, it’s Bioware’s own decision as well.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1365007933264830469

1 Like

What on earth was DA4 before this?? It wasn’t a single player game? I find that hard to believe.

I thought the “live service” descriptor around Dragon Age had to do with quest content getting added over time, AC Odyssey style.

with EA, you should simply expect the worst lol. Glad they are sensible about this now.

Anthem with Dragons. Literally thats how they described it.

:skull: lmao

MF was bout to get Scalebound-ed

Inquisition had a multiplayer with DLC etc. They probably planned to expand on this with more online features and maybe MTX. Now it’s purely a single-player focused game, as it should have been from the start, but hey, at least it’s good now.

To be fair, Bioware have developed multi-player titles in the past. I know it’s not what they’re most well known for & it’s not what most of us fans want from them but they have done it before. Also, Mass Effect 3, Inquisition & Andromeda, mainly known as single-player, all had popular enough multi-player modes.

I’m saying this to suggest that DA4 didn’t have to be single-player only. It could’ve still been a big success with both. Personally I’m hoping that the game benefits from being fully focused on one thing though.

You are right it didn’t have to be, but after two misses, and one spectacular one with Anthem, Bioware needs a home run with Dragon Age 4, so allow Bioware to laser focus on one thing - delivering a strong single player experience.

2 Likes

Yeah I feel this too, never say never of course, but, personally Bioware and EA have just managed to do everything wrong this past gen. Strutting about chest puffed until release and almost the second it doesnt make “all the money” just dropped like this week old chocolate croissant I found lurking behind my Sonos speaker… Rainbox Six, Sea of Thieves, NMS all had rocky starts and ended up better for their companies believing in them as much as they demand we do.

I never had a problem with them trying Anthem, or doing more Mass Effect without Shepherd (in fact I looked forward to it), but as solid as the gameplay was Andromeda fell way short of expectations, with dull antagonists, idiotic members of the initiative, zero thought or effort put into the gay relationships or trans characters casually deadnaming themselves to someone they just met. What they could have done with expansions and more time, or even a sequel. Same with Anthem a solid enough world to work from and some fun mechanics to fly and dance about that world, and (like Andromeda) pretty to boot.

Whats annoying to me as well is I love SciFi, and I do not care for fantasy, so even if they manage to hit it out of the park for DA4, theres a chance the magic will be lost next time they get round to a Sci Fi story. Part of the reason I have an eye on the remaster a little.

Anyway, sorry, ranting about Andromeda, which disappointed me sooooooooo much, I hate it. Yet I still played it all in hope. :smiley:

1 Like