An Outer Worlds sequel appears to be in dev

Interesting, thanks for the quote. You’re right that it’s still not confirmed, and his use of the word “hope” could be seen either way, but like you said, if they didn’t have the rights, he probably would have been much more vague on the topic. Very awesome.

Owning the rights and having publishing rights to an IP are not the same thing. Pretty much every publishing deal, even if the publisher does not own the IP, includes a first refusal rights clause where the publisher that originally invested in the IP has first dibs on publishing any sequels. So even when MS acquired Obsidian, Private Division likely still owned the publishing rights for the Outer Worlds 2 and MS would need to strike a deal with them if they wanted to take over publishing.

This could also be seen with the Mass Effect series and likely why Mass Effect 2 was a timed exclusive on the 360 once EA acquired Bioware.

1 Like

I mean, I’m personally in the camp that likes both but greatly prefers New Vegas because, as someone who grew up on the original Fallout games, it feels more like a Fallout game. By this I mean, it has the dark humor, the juxtaposition of the hilariously absurd with grim dystopian reality, a myriad of tribes (many of which actually stem from the Fallout lore), better RPG elements and greater weapon modifications, the “true” perk system where there was a bonus entangled with a detriment, greater moral ambiguity with choices that weren’t clearly “good/bad”, and arguably better writing overall.

I think for me, the reason I’d prefer a remake of New Vegas over 3 is simply because we’ve gotten the One X-enhanced version of 3, and New Vegas suffered from a brutal, unrealistic development schedule which resulted in a decent amount of cut content, poor optimization, and bugs. As we haven’t received an Enhanced version of New Vegas, and the next Fallout is likely years out, I see this as a perfect opportunity to fill the gaps.

Edit: For the sake of transparency, I have to admit that while I love all of the studios at Bethesda and Xbox Game Studios for a bevy of reasons, Obsidian is one of my favorite studios in the entire industry (regardless of critical score to suggest otherwise, I personally don’t think they’ve released a bad game). So color my response accordingly :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Interesting, thank you for letting me know difference. I guess can’t worry too much about publishing since Microsoft has the means to buy it out. Plus, it will most likely be PC and xbox only, and I’m sure it will launch on gamepass like the first one. So, I guess to your point is why Remedy bought publishing rights for Alan Wake, so don’t have to worry about first refusal or Microsoft controlling time exclusive content for franchise

Ah…a man of culture I see.

2 Likes

I try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I’m right there with you on Obsidian. I got teary eyed when they became a Xbox studio…Finally they can realize all their potential and dreams without chasing cash to break even. It will be glorious to see Obsidian Unleashed.

3 Likes

I’m with you, I was prepared to be devastated after PoE 2 didn’t sell anywhere near what it deserved. When @Klobrille started giving credence to the rumor, before most picked it up, I thought I was dreaming. I’m a gamer to my core, sure I have some biases, so the thought of living in a world without Obsidian seemed too cruel (of course, this being before 2020 it sounds trite by today’s standards I suppose). When Xbox acquired them, and likely saved them from potential demise, it really highlighted why I love the Phil Spencer/Matt Booty era of Xbox so much: they’re investing not only in their own future and that of their fans, but in these studios that have been independent through some of the toughest times this industry has been through. I don’t think we’re going to see a Mattrick/Myerson phase at Xbox again, and as their sub numbers and popularity grows it guarantees the safety of those studios and additional studios to bring into the fold. I know that Microsoft/Xbox isn’t some fully altruist company out there saving studios from demise, but for some not having to worry about whether their doors will shutter in this economy or because of a failed pitch, it most certainly can feel that way at times. Anyways, apologies for the rushed, rambling message lacking my usual structure/eloquence; the day is busier than I’d like for a Monday.

2 Likes

Yeah, Obsidian is one of the few studios I feel an almost personal attachment to. When the rumours started to float around about their acquisition I didn’t dare to believe it at first. Being an Xbox fan, it was almost too good to be true. My favourite studio a part of my favourite platform?! Joining Xbox Game Studios at a time when we see Microsoft goin all in on gaming, and being able to ride that wave as a first party studio is just amazing.

I’m so happy for them, -and for me! Avowed will be something very, very special.

2 Likes

Both games were actually made in about 18 months, and Fallout 3 by only part of BGS since some of the team was working on Shivering Isles and Skyrim, so both were rushed.

I actually really loved The Outer worlds, yes it was a bit short and not very expansive but I still really enjoyed it. With MS money and time the second game could be a big hit imo, it will be at least for me :smiley:

2 Likes

(pretty late response) I played and enjoyed Peril on Gorgon. It’s a pretty cool story, has a dark, detective feel. The gameplay is more of the same. Overall, worth playing if you enjoyed The Outer Worlds.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

The potential here is huge, there’s so many possibilities I believe this franchise can become as big as Fallout or Elder Scrolls.

2 Likes

Absolutely, and the game has such a pertinent message that resonates with the times; its capitalist critique and acknowledgement of the limited sustainability of unfettered resource handling that coincides. As such, I feel like it could be an equally more important series. But perhaps I’m just rambling.

2 Likes

There’s also so many gameplay possibilities now that they don’t have CPU and HDD limitations.

1 Like

I hope it gets made but I’m a little nervous people won’t be as accepting now that FO NV 2 is something that can genuinely happen. I actually prefer Outer Worlds to New Vegas but both are spectacular games. What matters is Obsidian makes what they want. I don’t want to see them trapped in the Rare loop of “bring back X game” when they want to create and cultivate new IP.

2 Likes