AMD 6000 series GPU's Announced!

Question mark :question: What: AMD will officially unveil their new line of Radeon RX 6000 video cards featuring the RDNA2 architecture. The 25 minute YouTube premiere will showcase games from 3rd Party Developers.

The big one: +50% perf/watt over RDNA1 and +30% bump in clocks. All new RDNA2 architecture with no left over GCN. Infinity Cache. Still 7nm. Of course PCI-E 4.0. RDNA2 should be competitive to Ampere, maybe better in rasterization, Turing levels (or better) of RT.

RDNA 2 Architecture DirectX Ray Tracing DirectStorage API Support Sampler Feedback Streaming Mesh Shaders Variable Rate Shading DLSS alternative is Super Resolution, but won’t be ready for launch

RDNA 2 Architecture

• DirectX Ray Tracing
  • DirectStorage API Support
  • Sampler Feedback Streaming
  • Mesh Shaders
  • Variable Rate Shading
  • DLSS alternative is Super Resolution, but won’t be ready for launch

• $579
  • 60 CUs
  • 128MB Infinity Cache
  • 16gb GDDR6 Memory

6800 XT

• $649
  • 72 CUs
  • 2250Mhz Boost Clock
  • 128MB Infinity Cache
  • 16GB GDDR6 Memory
  • 300W Total Board Power (less than the RTX 3080)

6900 XT ($999 on December 8)
80 CUs
2015Mhz Game Clock
2250Mhz Boost Clock
128MB Infinity Cache
16GB GDDR6 Memory
300W Total Board Power
4 Likes

Love they are creating tons of ready to use implementations for the features, including rt implementations that falls back on other tech to reduce performance impact and increase visual quality.

Will be a huge help on consoles.

They also working with Ms for direct ML super resolution is super good news.

1 Like

Xbox just said that :

" Xbox Series X|S will be the only next gen consoles with full RDNA 2 integration, thanks to our close working partnership with@AMD"

3 Likes

It’s actually more than 50%. That was the goal for RDNA 2, but the 6800 or 6800 xt represents 54% and I think I saw it said either 64 or 65% better perf/ watt for 6900 xt.

Also RDNA3 aiming for 2022 :blush:

2 Likes

Yeah, still going to be using the Nvidia GPU in my PC build. AMD processor with Nvidia GPU. I am very interested to see performance of next-generation consoles with RDNA2, the PS5 and Series X.

Lots of great stuff!

They have upper hand on memory capacity and price for 6800xt vs the 3080

Infinte cache takes care of high bandwidth on 3080.

Nvidia may still come out on top due to double fp32, DLSS and Ray Tracing.

6800 although expensive but have double the vram capacity. So it’s worth it for next gen games.

Nvidia just got slapped around a bit! Good! Because that will push them to do better next time! :smiley:

1 Like

AMD really has closed the gap (for the moment) to Nvidia. Let’s see if Nvidia just reacts with another “RTX 2xxx Super/Ti” Move. I assume availability will be much better for AMD than it was for Nvidia too.

2 Likes

I think in the coming days they will announce 3080TI lol.

I don’t see that. Real world performance benchmarks will tell the tale

I’m actually very surprised by what AMD was able to achieve compared to last gen. Hell, if the 6900 is even a few percentage points off of their benchmarks, they’re still going to be in 3090 territory for 66% of the cost and likely far more availability. People underscore how much production scale matters and they’ve increased a considerable amount to meet the rise in their demand beyond consumer hardware (supercomputing and data centers, especially).

I dont know.

AMD were quiet about Raytracing performance, I would not be surprised of RT performance of RDNA2 is slightly behind turing.

Also the 3070@ $499 seems like the better deal then a 6800 @ $579

Also I don’t understand why the 6900xt is $350 more then the 6800xt, i mean its $350 just for 8 more compute units? Its seems like not a good deal.

2 Likes

Apparently the Raytracing performance isn’t as good as Nvidia’s cards from what is coming out now. Not much of a surprise with the Tensor cores dedicated on the 3080 and such. It will be interesting to see what happens in the long run there …

Good points. Should be interesting when they do more benchmarks.

Marketing performance puts them on same level.

Bandwidth is said to countered by the icache

Nvidia has clear advantage with double FP32 and DLSS.

AMD has clear advantage of more vram capacity.

I think it’s a hard choice for gamers. Competition is great.

1 Like

The 6800 is a better card, you’re paying $79 for more vram and better performance.

It’s interesting that the Series X is clocked at the base 6800 card while the PS5 is clocked at the XT cards (both 6800 and 6900). I’m speaking to the base clock and not any boosts.

Is there a reason why the XSX is clocked at 1.8 GHz and not 2GHz? Does it come down to cost? Cooling? Power usage?

The performance is basically the same as a 3070, some will favour the 3070 while others will favour the 6800, it will be interesting to see if the vram makes a difference later down the road? With the way the consoles are designed vram + ram may become less important on PC and io + ssd will become more important.

Generally, you want to maximize the longevity of any gpu you use.

Indeed, but the 3070 will likely have more longevity regarding Raytracing and then theres DLSS. Im just not seeing the extra $80 worth of value on the 6800 but hey I could be wrong.