Amazon Announces Cloud Gaming Streaming Service Luna

https://news.yahoo.com/luna-amazon-cloud-gaming-interview-pwa-apple-173948922.html

Amazon has announced the competitor to Xcloud and Stadia in Luna. A streaming service starting at 6.99 while in early access where you can add on channels such as ubisoft channel for additional fees.

Early Access can be requested here:

Luna Compatible Controllers:

• Luna Controller
  • Xbox One Controller,
  • DualShock 4 Controller,
  • Mouse and Keyboard.

Supported Devices:

• PC (requires Windows 10 with support for DirectX 11)
  • Mac (OSX 10.13+)
  • FireTV devices (Fire TV Stick - 2nd gen, Fire TV Stick 4K, or Fire TV Cube - 2nd gen)

Additionally you can use:

• Chrome web browser (version 83+) for PC and Mac
  • Safari web browser (iOS14) for iPhone and iPad
2 Likes

this is what MS was getting ready for. Not Sony or Nintendo. It’s Google, Amazon and Apple. They are coming and have big money to spend.

11 Likes

Not this xbox controller knock off

2 Likes

" Players who subscribe to this channel will have access to their favorite Ubisoft titles in up to 4K resolution, mobile gameplay, and access to new titles when the channel launches like Assassins Creed Valhalla, Far Cry 6 , and Immortals Fenyx Rising the same day they release. This is the first of multiple Luna game channels in development, where customers can play games from their favorite publishers and genres."

:skull:

1 Like

Wow. I don’t claim to know the future but clearly Google and now Amazon think that game streaming is the place to be.

Phil Spencer building up Game Pass and Xcloud years ahead of Microsoft’s competitors just looks like a better and better decision.

I can’t help but feel like by the time Sony realizes that game streaming is a thing, it’s going to be way too late for them to compete.

1 Like

Let the battle begin! Fight!

MS is readying for that. Amazon coming quick means they’ll try to buy studios too

That’s why Ubisoft games don’t hit Game Pass

They went with Amazon

3 Likes

That is pretty strong for them! Guess this kills the daydreaming ppl had about Sony buying Ubisoft.

It already is way too late for Sony. They used to use Amazon for their online infrastructure but Amazon priced em out and forced em over to Azure. Sony has no way to compete with Microsoft/Google/Amazon. Luckily, Google’s go at this is DOA.

2 Likes

This is another reason why MS spent $7.5 billion on gaming content this week.

2 Likes

Imagine Amazon and Bethesda… thankfully it did not happen. Amazon seems to be better then Stadia out of the box.

1 Like

I can honestly see why Microsoft is worried about Google stadia and now amazon luna.

Think about it like this, Google owns the app store on android and YouTube, literally they can advertise stadia to everyone and anyone, most people using these services have a Gmail account that can easily check out stadia.

Now amazon, they have hundreds of millions of amazon prime members & they own twitch, they could literally bundle it in or trial it via the amazon prime service, that is a massive audience.

They are genuine threats to Microsoft xcloud (whilst I know everyone currently bashes stadia, things can change)

1 Like

maxresdefault

2 Likes

Yup, I think gaming will end up being Microsoft vs Amazon longterm. It should be an interesting few years. I will be curious if we see a big run on studios and publishers. As Microsoft would 100% bid against anything Amazon’s bidding for studio wise just so they couldn’t have it. .

Least they got the sticks right.

6 Likes

The idea sounds good. I’m curious how expensive these “Channels” are going to be though.

Also, the name is terrible imo. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, and given the history of the other two I’m only really worried about Amazon being the one that sticks around. How that will affect the industry and developers that get acquired by any of the aforementioned three is my greatest concern.

Microsoft saw this threat coming and Google…didn’t.

Luna adverts on Amazon’s web site. Luna discounts on Amazon Prime Day. Luna discounts for Amazon Prime members?

Plus, its looks like Luna will be on iOS:

With Luna, Amazon has discovered another way to circumvent Apple’s App Store fees. Luna is a progressive web application (PWA), which means it’s actually a browser-based program masquerading as a native iOS app. You’ll download the PWA from the Luna website, and the resulting icon on your iPhone’s home screen will function like a shortcut to Amazon’s cloud gaming portal on the web.

As a PWA, Luna is not involved in the App Store at all.

“Just to be super transparent, on iOS, it is through the browser,” Whitten said. “So it’s not a native app in the App Store.”

100 games for the beta + Ubisoft are on board. Amazon are taking cloud gaming more seriously then Google ever did, I really don’t know what they’re thinking with Stadia. Surely they have to change the business plan with that.

2 Likes

Mods, please fix this post. I can only “like” it once! WTF! :laughing:

Time for MS to buy Ubisoft lol

2 Likes