Activision-Blizzard: thoughts on game exclusivity?

Games like Warzone will remain multiplat, and everything else that was released before June 2023. After that everything is exclusive

once current deals are done going exclusive!!!

My thoughts:

Xbox and Activision currently have opposite views about what they expect from their franchises. Xbox is working towards creative freedom and bet their revenues in Xbox Game Pass. Activision bets on billion-dollar franchises and put all their effort to release them frequently, as they do with COD.

I think that Xbox’s views will prevail for obvious reasons, and this could have some impact on Activision-Blizzard studios. They won’t need to release a Call of Duty every year and maybe some of the studios from COD trio can have the opportunity to release a new IP or work together with each other. Activision side studios also won’t have to support CoD anymore and work on games they want, like a new Spyro from Toys For Bob.

If, and only if, CoD stops being an annual franchise, which is possible due to their success with Warzone model, I believe all their games can be Xbox platforms exclusive. And this will also empower the other studios and IPs who come together in this acquisition.

But, unlike Bethesda, Activision model is very different from Xbox’s. I’m expecting to see results on this path in maybe 5 years.

EDIT: I almost forgot: I wouldn’t be surprised if games like Guitar Hero come back from the dead after this deal. Game Pass and Guitar Hero have a huge potential working together.

1 Like

I’m not going crazy in another worrying cycle like the Bethesda acquisition

1 Like

As in Bethesda acquisition, I just care about game pass day one.

Halo Wars- Starcraft crossover ???

1 Like

Overwatch 2 and Diablo 2 don’t have pre-existing commitments and neither do future COD games

I predict Warzone, the next COD game and then it’s GG

COD has the PlayStation marketing. idk though.

I thought Diablo 4 was announced for PS4.

As for Overwatch 2, it’s a free update to OW1.

Don’t care if everything remains multiplatform. Just getting everything on GamePass in itself is a huge win for me.

3 Likes

Xbox owns everything but shows to display their stuff …

I think there will be some exclusives but most things will stay multi-platform.

Same as Zenimax

Everything new will be exclusive.

Good, because if Sony were to buy any of the remaining big pubs (they kinda have to answer now…right?) Best believe that there is zero doubt where games are going to go. Would just be a bad look if Sony were to buy SE, they have Tomb Raider as exclusive, lock it down, Xbox however keeps CoD or Diablo 5 or whatever multiplatform.

That makes no sense.

Why even acquire them then? :slight_smile: That’s not how you grow your service.

1 Like

Yeah good point on Overwatch 2

Seeing how Xbox handled the Zenimax games I am not “worried” in the slightest this time around tbh. Feels good!

3 Likes

Two of them will be at the very least. I think Infinity Ward, Treyarch will become the primary COD developers and Sledgehammer, Raven, High Moon will go and do other projects.

2 Likes

Are there public dates for when the Sony deals end?

Xbox is giving a good space for teams to develop the games they want to do, at least it seems like this. All these studios are involved in COD because they have to keep the annual release going and the COD trio working on it. If Xbox allows them to do more spaced releases, the other studios can do what they wish more freely, including Sledgehammer, Treyarch and, hopefully, Infinity Ward.

PS: While I was writing this post, I realized that with this acquisition, Xbox now has idTech and IW Tech, which derived from idTech 3. What a small world, isn’t it?

COD will be Xbox and PC exclusive… I’ll bet my hat on it.

Uncle Phil said they will continue to support other platforms where the Activision games are played… that’ll be PC from my thinking.

For cod its usually a year per game.

3 Likes