About next Xbox acquisitions

I highly doubt it, especially if it’s Xbox exclusive. The negative press of that exclusivity would far outweigh the positive discussions in the aftermath. And typically, Bethesda only shows games a few months before they’re ready, like with Fallout 4 and 76.

I personally see Starfield as something that gets revealed next summer, with a fall release date, and it being a Xbox/PC exclusive, as the first big announcement after the Zenimax deal is finalized.

1 Like

he also says Discord integration with PC is coming™ apparently

2 Likes

Typical Sony.

I heard Feburary 2021, not sure where though.

Its a good thing sony doesn’t have two exclusive bethesda game’s coming out next year to soften the blow

3 Likes

Or straight up paid square not to release FF16 on Xbox.

This whole “MS has to look out for the feelings of others” schtick is getting incredibly annoying.

6 Likes

At this point, fuck the mainstream press. The amount of shit Xbox is crucified for that Sony doesn’t even get a slap on the wrist is fucking astonishing. It’s ok to have biases but either moneyhats of AAA games are shit or “good for the consumer”. Either cross-gen is a smart move or holding back the generation. Either it’s ok to report the odd console failing or it’s an overexaggeration. It’s ok to report performance differences as applicable if you give a fair shake to both (PS5 outperforms Series X in AC Valhalla, is at parity in Watch Dogs, is beaten by Series X in most modes of COD). Either it’s unfortunate to see the same series repeated time and time again over years (Halo, Gears, Forza) or it’s totally ok (R&C, Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo).

Like, I get bias is a thing and I like both systems and their output but it’s getting ridiculous. Let the media bitch all they like. The average consumer isn’t going to give a shit what Polygon or IGN thinks about Starfield being exclusive, they’ll just play the game where it is.

What they should continue to do is invest in making XCloud and Xbox more accessible and maybe consider avenues of making existing story installments like Wolfenstein 3 readily available after some period of exclusivity, but Starfield is a new IP. And last I checked, that was the excuse many used for Deathloop and Ghostwire. Eye for an eye.

Oh, and I say this as an Xbox enthusiast writer. Sometimes these guys are just way off. Either wear your bias on your sleeves or act impartial but don’t piss on my shoes and tell me it’s rain.

/rant

8 Likes

I did not mean to like this post.

As a response, I don’t think Microsoft should care about the feelings of others since those very people cheer and laugh when games skip xbox.

2 Likes

Microsoft already mentioned that the deal is to be completed in end of Q2 to early of Q3 of 2021’s fiscal year. We are in Q2 at the moment since the end of October. Basically, early 2021 of the regular year sounds right.

1 Like

What are you even talking about ? «Negative» press, what, an announcement like this at the GA is EXACTLY what the new Xbox consoles need. Bethesda will be part of XGS, it is time for MS to end all discussions and arguments about what game goes where and an announcement like this at such a show would be absolutely perfect.

1 Like

Cant say an iota about it until the deal is done and it seems this will not be done this month.

2 Likes

Exactly this, people seem to have lost sight of the fact that Microsoft does NOT own Zenimax/Bethesda yet, so announcements of exclusivity are unlikely to happen until that deal goes through.

Starfield reveal at TGA doesn’t seem likely for multiple reasons, as we’ve listed already.

Yes, Microsoft needs to make big moves, and continue to show their fanbase that they are committed to them. I’ve not said anything to the contrary.

It’s all just a little more complicated than we are making it out to be.

Yep, fuck them, at some point they are going to have to deal with the reality that Zenimax games are exclusive to xbox. The world does not revolve around the feelings of Sony only gamers.

1 Like

Just gonna say if this holds water I’d be very interested to speak to the Italian insider through a translator.

Also re: Bethesda and media blah blah. Ignore the external noise there are only 2 facts, Microsoft owns Bethesda once the deal closes and they won’t jeapordize it trying to prove a point to ign and twitter

3 Likes

Doesn’t this add up to what @Shpeshal_Nick was saying in the podcast that Xbox had two acquisitions in the works? Seems like it may end up being true.

Microsoft needs Bethesda games to be exclusive, they are big games everyone talks about that Xbox needs. Media and PS fans have no points to argue over exclusivity, now more so than ever, PS has money hatted 2 games now owned by Xbox to be exclusive (was going to be doing the same with starfield), same with FF and many other games. I don’t how anyone could complain with a straight face if the games are Xbox exclusive.

If these games are good the media can’t do anything about it, look at how well forza horizon and Ori were received. Xbox just needs to deliver similar quality games irrespective of genre then the narrative will slowly start to shift.

2 Likes

I don’t know who’s gonna be the next, but I would love to see DONTNOD. If the recent talk about Square being unsatisfied with the western division, they might even try to buy the Life is Strange IP.

1 Like

YES PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN

Square Enix isn’t going to sell off successful IP. If they try to get rid of their western studios they’re keeping the IP. Whoever acquires those studios would have to license their IP from Square Enix or have the studios make new ones of their own.

For what it’s worth, I’ve heard some stuff around Discord too. Nothing specific. Just that they’re looking at something with Discord.

4 Likes

Hey everyone, we’ve been talking about this general topic for a few months over at this thread:

Come on over and join the fun sometime :slight_smile: