About next Xbox acquisitions

Hi mates, i was reading different messages on a popular italian HW community (www.hwupgrade.it) and some people ask some question to member named “gospel” about next Xbox acquisitions plan. This person is legit and he said is actually working for Microsoft Marketing Division. He always been well informed about all things relating to Xbox and he often gives his help to other users who ask him for some help.

This is the full text:

Q: una domandina per Gospel e un suo pensiero riguardo a quanto sotto:

Microsoft ha già finalizzato l’acquisto di altri studi o, per quelle che sono le voci che circolano, c’è in ballo solo una potenziale partnership con SEGA?

E di ASOBO? Sarebbe veramente sciocco farsi scappare un team talentuoso come questo, anche se ha un contratto di collaborazione con XBOX di 10 anni per il supporto su flight simulator. Un conto è una collaborazione, un altro è averli nella propria scuderia e concedergli i finanziamenti ed il supporto di cui hanno bisogno. XBOX potenzialmente ha un nuova Insmoniac in casa sua e non vorrei che facessero lo stesso errore che hanno fatto con INSOMNIAC stessa che è stata acquisita da Sony.

Lo stesso discorso dicasi per RELIC Entertainment, a lavoro su AOE4. Sono il miglior sviluppatore RTS attualmente in circolazione e l’unico problema è che sono di proprietà di SEGA, cos’ come anche Creative Assembly, altro studio molto talentuoso ed affermato in ambito RTS e non solo (Alien isolation).

Secondo te, non sarebbe sensato fare un tentativo per acquisire la divisione gaming di SEGA, considerato anche il resto della società non se la passa tanto bene? Da un lato, XBOX avrebbe IP e Sviluppatori di talento da unire alla scuderia, anche perchè, per alimentare gamepass con titoli tripla AAA o comunque di richiamo, 23 studi (considerando l’acquisto di Zenimax) non sono ancora sufficienti.

Possiamo attenderci ulteriori acquisizioni in tal senso o, meglio, Microsoft le ha già portate a termine? La domanda la formulo perché fino a poche settimana fa, si diceva che MS avesse già acquisito un altro studio (e qui, sino sprecate le voci: Asobo, techland, Blobeer etc) ma, ad oggi, non se ne è saputo più nulla. Visto che mercoledì prossimo c’è la prossima riunione con gli azionisti, tali informazioni, non avrebbero dovuto già circolare?

Grazie, per le eventuali riposte

I’ll try to translate into italian (i’ll do my best cause english is not my first language)

“a question to Gospel and your thoughts on what follows: Has MS already finalized new acquisitons? There were some rumors abouta possibile SEGA partnership”. And ASOBO? It would be stupid leave this talented studios goes away. I know they have a long agreement with XBOX to develop and support FS but it would be a different thing have them into first party studios". MS could have a new Insomniac and it would be strange to see the same story with Insomniac itself (acquired by Sony).

the same argument is for Relic Entertainment, actually working on AOE4. They are the best RTS developers. The main problem is that Sega actually owns them. Same thing for Creative Assembly.

Do you think MS should try to acquire SEGA’s gamging division? In this way many IP and talented developers will be go under Xbox studios family. 23 studios are not enough for the future gamepass growth.

Could we expect nee acquisitions in those terms? Has MS already finalized them? I’m asking this cause some weeks ago there were some rumors about new acqusitions (Asobo, Techland, Blobeer).

A: “in questi mesi ms è occupata a finalizzare l’acquisto di bethesda…ci sono già un paio di trattative avanzate ma oltre non posso dire…anche perchè non è detto che poi vadano in porto”

“in these months MS will finalize the Bethesda acquisition. There are two other negotiations along the way but i caan’t say anymore (they could be fail).”

Q: “secondo te, nel caso in cui dovessero andare in porto, avrebbero un notevole impatto mediatico? Nel senso, sarebbero studi di un certo livello?”

Do you think would they have a good “media/press impact”?

A: “uno dei due si”

One of them, yes.

This is the link of discussion

This man told us something about Bethesda but we simply didn’t understand this.

Thank you

8 Likes

So maybe 2 new acquisitions, nice !

I don’t understand when you say " one of them have a good press impact" , what it means ? The acquisition will be heavily talk in press or the acquisition will be cheer by the press (like buying a famous studio who struggle) ?

Thank you for your translation m8

1 Like

yes, this. a good resonance

So the Bethesda deal is almost finished? They went from second half 2021 to early 2021 to “these months”.

1 Like

yes. I i remember well Phil Spencer said “at beginning of 2021” as well

1 Like

Hoping for a surprise announcement with a Starfield trailer at TGA next month

2 Likes

I want Asobo and Bloober really bad, both would be great for me as I love all their games

3 Likes

I highly doubt it, especially if it’s Xbox exclusive. The negative press of that exclusivity would far outweigh the positive discussions in the aftermath. And typically, Bethesda only shows games a few months before they’re ready, like with Fallout 4 and 76.

I personally see Starfield as something that gets revealed next summer, with a fall release date, and it being a Xbox/PC exclusive, as the first big announcement after the Zenimax deal is finalized.

1 Like

he also says Discord integration with PC is coming™ apparently

2 Likes

Typical Sony.

I heard Feburary 2021, not sure where though.

Its a good thing sony doesn’t have two exclusive bethesda game’s coming out next year to soften the blow

3 Likes

Or straight up paid square not to release FF16 on Xbox.

This whole “MS has to look out for the feelings of others” schtick is getting incredibly annoying.

6 Likes

At this point, fuck the mainstream press. The amount of shit Xbox is crucified for that Sony doesn’t even get a slap on the wrist is fucking astonishing. It’s ok to have biases but either moneyhats of AAA games are shit or “good for the consumer”. Either cross-gen is a smart move or holding back the generation. Either it’s ok to report the odd console failing or it’s an overexaggeration. It’s ok to report performance differences as applicable if you give a fair shake to both (PS5 outperforms Series X in AC Valhalla, is at parity in Watch Dogs, is beaten by Series X in most modes of COD). Either it’s unfortunate to see the same series repeated time and time again over years (Halo, Gears, Forza) or it’s totally ok (R&C, Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo).

Like, I get bias is a thing and I like both systems and their output but it’s getting ridiculous. Let the media bitch all they like. The average consumer isn’t going to give a shit what Polygon or IGN thinks about Starfield being exclusive, they’ll just play the game where it is.

What they should continue to do is invest in making XCloud and Xbox more accessible and maybe consider avenues of making existing story installments like Wolfenstein 3 readily available after some period of exclusivity, but Starfield is a new IP. And last I checked, that was the excuse many used for Deathloop and Ghostwire. Eye for an eye.

Oh, and I say this as an Xbox enthusiast writer. Sometimes these guys are just way off. Either wear your bias on your sleeves or act impartial but don’t piss on my shoes and tell me it’s rain.

/rant

8 Likes

I did not mean to like this post.

As a response, I don’t think Microsoft should care about the feelings of others since those very people cheer and laugh when games skip xbox.

2 Likes

Microsoft already mentioned that the deal is to be completed in end of Q2 to early of Q3 of 2021’s fiscal year. We are in Q2 at the moment since the end of October. Basically, early 2021 of the regular year sounds right.

1 Like

What are you even talking about ? «Negative» press, what, an announcement like this at the GA is EXACTLY what the new Xbox consoles need. Bethesda will be part of XGS, it is time for MS to end all discussions and arguments about what game goes where and an announcement like this at such a show would be absolutely perfect.

1 Like

Cant say an iota about it until the deal is done and it seems this will not be done this month.

2 Likes

Exactly this, people seem to have lost sight of the fact that Microsoft does NOT own Zenimax/Bethesda yet, so announcements of exclusivity are unlikely to happen until that deal goes through.

Starfield reveal at TGA doesn’t seem likely for multiple reasons, as we’ve listed already.

Yes, Microsoft needs to make big moves, and continue to show their fanbase that they are committed to them. I’ve not said anything to the contrary.

It’s all just a little more complicated than we are making it out to be.

Yep, fuck them, at some point they are going to have to deal with the reality that Zenimax games are exclusive to xbox. The world does not revolve around the feelings of Sony only gamers.

1 Like