4k vs reconstructed 4k/1440p/dynamic res

The argument is: render a game at 4k or use other techniques such as 4kcb, dlss and use the resources to add other visual effects and simulations.

Im personally not a big fan of of the soft look TAA and reconstructed resolutions bring to games, it makes games have the soft look of toy story. However checkerboarding allows more detail and TAA greatly reduces jaggies.

At this point I really don’t know, I definitely appreciate the 4k pictures of RDR2, fallout 4 etc over the ps4 pro version, but if going with 4kcb would allow for some crazy next gen particle system i would rather have that then a more simpler particle system but in native 4k.

What direction would you like to see devs take for next gen?

Tbh I can never tell the difference in these things. Whatever gets the best framerate I suppose.

I’m ok with any compromise to visuals as long as it’s minimum 60 fps

Direct ML reconstruction over 4K CB all day.

The XSX will use image reconstruction technique that renders a game at a sub-native resolution, then uses AI inferencing to upscale and improve the image.

The AI processing element of ML is only possible thanks to INT8/INT4 use.

It is far better than 4k CB which is blurry and soft.

That is why I said Direct ML is a true game changer.

If you want to read more about Direct ML and its impact on gaming here is a link

2 Likes

I seriously don’t care if it’s not native, it’s not like it has to be native or nothing for me. As long as the game looks sharp enough to look native I don’t care what RES the game is actually running at.

As long as the reconstruction technique is of a good quality, like DLSS 2.0, I’m cool with it. However if the implementation is subpar, like in Red Dead Redemption 2, I’d prefer native.

I agree. I am quite baffled on how great ML for upscaling looks. Other techniques tend to soften things and introduce artifacts in motion too much for my tastes.

Combine this with VRS and boom!

1 Like

Both look good, although the native 4K looks a bit more detailed. But it’s always unfair to compare a PC to a console, at least in this generation.

The tomb raider Pic of the pc version vs the pro version is what i could find if u have better ones i will replace.

Has there been any other examples besides the forza one?

Maybe you will find something here, there are also some pictures:

1 Like

ML reconstruction is the way to go, and it’s only going to get better in the coming years. I’m excited to see it in action on Series X, hopefully MS can deliver a good implementation.

In my opinion DirectML from Xbox Series X is the upcoming gamechanger and should definitely become the standard.

Here’s a comparison of how Forza Horizon 3 looks upscaled from 1080p to 4K with DirectML (left) and how it normally looks (right) while using only a fraction of the performance of native 4K:

The extra power could then be used in other areas.

1 Like

DLSS and ML will be a key mid gen. Things will only get better and better.

It gonna depend on as per game basis.

Art style game could focus on native 4k because realism doesn’t matter in those games.

Games with realism in mind should use ML.

Personally I’m really looking forward to the developer that just goes for 720p and then adds a billion post fx to make it nice and soft and beautiful.

There are so many things I don’t understand about gamers in general but the main thing is WHY THIS OBSESSION WITH SHARPNESS? ALL THE TIME? It looks horrible. Go and look at some great art. Some great photography. Some great films. It’s not that sharp. LIFE isn’t that sharp.

Personally I think all those 1440p titles and alot of the 4k cb ones on my PS4 Pro look terrible compared to actual 4k. For example Avengers’ cb artifacts on the Pro are pretty horrendous.

DLSS is the truth however, I only have a 2060 on a laptop but Control DLSS with Raytracing looks great. If DirectX can come up with something even 80% as good it would be awesome

I find it…odd that the same Sony fanbase and Sony-friendly media that never missed an opportunity to tout PS4 resolution advantages are now suddenly fine sacrificing resolution. I remember when a Xbox One game had to do reconstruction techniques to achieve 1080p, it was mocked mercilessly.

Now, I’m seeing endless “4K is a waste of resources” and “30fps is totally fine if I get purty graphics” threads all over the 'net.

I wonder what changed…

5 Likes

Dynamic RES needs to be used more and locked in techniques like checkerboard need to go away.

With Dynamic RES you get an instant bump from new more powerful hardware, anything else is locked in place and requires devs to patch to take advantage of new hardware.

I prefer 1440p / 1080p upscaling to 4k at 60fps over native 4k 30fps. 2160p is a very overrated resolution.