Yakuza / Like A Dragon |OT| That's Rad!

I think the reason why they games don’t review better is franchise fatigue

Pfft, whatever. I finished up 7 at the beginning of 2023 and then played 0-6 between the end of September and now. I’m going to take a small break and then jump into Gaiden.

I’ve now reached day 20 on Donduku Island and keep thinking to myself that it’s probably time to get back to the main quest, but can’t tear myself away. Once I started unlocking the buildings/shops, I’ve become fixated with recreating my own Little Kamurocho!

1 Like

As I play Infinite Wealth, I can’t help but wonder why they don’t give me some combination of settings that make the graphical quality as good as in the real time cutscenes lol.

Come on RGG, let me put this 4090 to work.

Some of the combos people can come up with are always wild.

I started playing these last year after seeing them all on gamepass, watched a video on YouTube which gave a taste of the games, just seemed like a lot of fun. So I’ve been working my way through them From Yakuza 0 forwards, I’m now running around Yakuza 3 finishing off some of the side quests before chapter 12 which I assume is the point of no return.

The remastered rather than zero or kiwami games is a big change, could have done without some of the orphanage bits earlier in the game.

Also as a fan of Japanese wrestling the references/appearances to the biggest stars in Japan is entertaining to me.

I have not played a LAD game yet, but is the combat fully turn-based as in also that you can’t walk? I’m playing Ni No Kuni now and it’s still menu based while I can walk around freely, this I like. Can you do this in LAD or nah?

And then as for Infinite Wealth, wasn’t it said Kiryu at least CAN walk and fight in real-time? Is this a skill, is it random? And can Ichiban learn this too?

1 Like

The first is fully turn based and you can’t move your character in real time, the second you can walk around to use the environment to your advantage. In both when attacking normally a character can pick up a chair or something from the ground and use it to attack.

Kiryu apparently has a special ability(I think it’s his heat mode) that lets him break out of the turn based system and just attack. So likely would need to learn it.

1 Like

Oh that’s very good to hear that IW let’s you just walk, I really dig that. I will always prefer fully real-time, but I can live with this. Just 100% TB won’t ever be my thing.

I think you should try games where they do extra stuff with the turns, like take Valkyrie Profile, the characters are all tied to the face buttons. As they level, they get extra attacks and we can press all the buttons during our turn, allowing us to do combos.

Or Child of Light, where everyone is on a system that when they get hit it delays their turns.

Or Persona (with Persona I would advice a guide for the relationships if going for a full playthrough the first time, unless you want to add an extra playthroughs or go as about 10-15 hours of reloading to get the best answers for characters) where we need to figure out the weakness of enemies(not all enemies have weaknesses) or do critical damage with a physical move to knock them down. Which allows us to either attack again, or switch to another character that can hit the weakness before doing a team attack. Team attacks can be done every turn if you knock down the enemies with every character.

1 Like

Oh man, at some point I will get to Persona, haha. But for now it’s NNK. :wink:

With TB I often have a bit of difficulty with knowing when to defend or attack. So far in NNK I just attack all the time with my familiars unless it’s a boss and I know he will do a crazy attack. On the other hand, in real-time combat I do block and counter normal attacks too, so I probably should apply this to TB as well.

Maybe, but I wouldn’t blame anyone that tried Persona and just decided this wasn’t for them, because it’s a massive time sink with a really big commitment to building the relationship between characters(both party members and confidants).

I generally stick to attacking, buffing, debuffing, healing and hoping whatever attack is coming won’t one shot me. Specially in Persona, because if the main character dies that’s game over. Other than that, I try to make sure my resistances are good enough that they can’t be exploited to much by enemies.

1 Like

Ok, tell me if I’m crazy or not. Two things I’ve picked up in the last 1-2 years are Yakuza/Like A Dragon (currently playing through Gaiden and now probably my favourite gaming series) and One Piece (currently on the Water 7 arc). I got thinking and I feel like RGG could make a really good One Piece game(s). They obviously wouldn’t be able to iterate as fast as they normally do because they’d need new assets.

I feel like either their brawler or turn based combat would work really well with the Straw Hats and also their mission structure/sub stories would also work really well in the world.

Ok, tell me I’m an idiot. Go.

I just love how RGG Studio is reusing assets. Each games take place in the same environments, and yet it always feels fresh because they add so much in each game. I’m playing through Lost Judgment and I just love all the stuff they added compared to Judgment.

2 Likes

I think that could work well, so no insults from me. For what it’s worth there were some Wii games that felt pretty fun way back when. Unlimited Cruise IIRC, though you shouldn’t check them out until you’ve finished the arc after this one. I think they made a 3DS port too?

You’re on my favorite arc :grin:

1 Like