Yakuza / Like A Dragon |OT| That's Rad!

I’m waiting for Danganronpa V3

1 Like

Wow Ishin coming in February. That is real soon. Cant wait.

1 Like

Fucking yes!

2 Likes

In the stream today they said tomorrow we’ll get a look at a playable demo of Ishin at TGS. Looking forward to seeing a video of that.

Not surprised by their last-gen support considering they supported the PS3 in Japan all the way up to 2016. I do think Like a Dragon 8 will be the last title on last-gen though. But the games look great regardless so I’m fine with that.

1 Like

Should the thread title be changed to include Like a Dragon as well? :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t believe three new games were announced. Bloody hell, we eating good!

Wonder if they will change the previous titles digitally to Like a Dragon as well. I guess Yakuza Like a Dragon would hypothetically then be Like a Dragon 7…? They really should never have called that game that in the first place because it makes things a bit confusing now…

Dunno how to feel about Kiryu being in Like a Dragon 8 and playable at that too! He had a great passing the torch moment in the previous game. He looks so weird now as well :flushed:

Here’s gameplay of the Ishin remake

I’m screaming at Bacchus appearing in this :sob::rofl:

I kind of wish they kept Hamazaki and Baba in this. I love Kuze though of course. Pretty cool seeing 0 and 7 characters in the same game.

4 Likes

Important information in this table, I thought I was crazy when I saw Zhao :rofl:

It’s such a good time to be a Yakuza fan right now.

2 Likes

And I got it!

3 Likes

The Yakuza name is no more, as Sega plans to officially rebrand the series of crime dramas under the franchise name “Like a Dragon” moving forward — a move that became apparent with the reveal of three new games prior to this year’s Tokyo Game Show. Speaking to Digital Trends, a Sega of America representative confirmed the reason for the name change.

“I can confirm the series will be known as “Like a Dragon” moving forward to more closely align with the Japanese name,” a representative for Sega of America tells Digital Trends.

In Japan, Sega has called the series Ryū ga Gotoku since its inception in 2005, and that phrase is even the namesake of developer RGG Studio. “Ryū ga Gotoku” translates to “like a dragon” in English, but Sega decided to call the series Yakuza when it brought the first game to the West in 2006. Now that the series is more popular than ever and largely moved on from telling stories directly focused on the Yakuza, it makes sense for Sega to give the series a similar title in all regions. Sega localization producer Scott Strichart pointed out on Twitter that 2020’s Yakuza: Like a Dragon foreshadowed the change by naming a chapter “Chapter 12: The End of Yakuza.” Strichart is not involved with the localization of upcoming Like a Dragon titles.

Like I said, on board with this “title change”. “Yakuza” felt like a relic of the 2000s when they wanted the “GTA audience” type to play it.

1 Like
5 Likes

Kid you not, the reason Ishin PS4 never got localized was because Sega thought this era of Japan was unpopular in the West. They said that back in the day.

1 Like
2 Likes

Maybe too late, but can you add Judgment in the title as well? Or at least as a tag?

They’re wrong since at least Ruroni Kenshin

Ah this is that game where that gif of Kiryu and Ryuji slapping their arses is from?

1 Like

Kenshin was popular among anime fans but I think the anime market back then was a small fraction of what it is today.

Just did some Googling and found out the title Like a Dragon has been around for a long ass time. Interesting.

It’s what the series has been called since it’s inception in Japan, it’s what Ryu Ga Gotoku (RGG) even means. Like a Dragon Studio

As I said, “Yakuza” was a Western title that was initially supposed to attract the “GTA audience” but didn’t catch on. Then the name just stuck because that’s what it’s always been called here.

2 Likes