XboxEra review | Scorn

Yeah, this could be an issue indeed. Somehow, this game just clicked on me like I’m now so curious to know what was going on there and looking for theories on internet.

3 Likes

Really enjoying this now

3 Likes

I’m in love with the art direction, visuals and atmosphere. Hopes this gets nominated at the Game Awards on this front. It’s totally Alien (it especially reminds me the Prometheus movie that I loved, it almost feels like an Engineer could show up at any moment).

I wish there was a Photo mode (or at least the option to hide your weapon once you have it).

Really loving this.

5 Likes

Wow, looks great.

I have played a few hours and only got past the very very first puzzle, most of my time has been wondering around and mapping out the area in my head. I’m pretty sure I know what to do with the next puzzle but it’s not actually working yet. I’ll give it some more effort before trying to seek help.

Crazy I’m still having fun with the game just walking around.

2 Likes

Played around 3 hours so far. I’m loving the atmosphere and the puzzles are really good for the most part, but once I got introduced to combat and multiple enemies it can be frustratingly tense sometimes. I get it, combat scenarios serve the atmosphere of the game but a little more balance there please, some of us are wusses.

Well really loved the early part of the game (pre-combat), it captures the feeing of waking up in a strange environment and having to poke everything to progress to a tee.

Unfortunately the clunky unforgiving combat and health system combined with the save system killed the game stone dead for me.

Who thought a shit 2 shot, long cool down close range weapon against 5 shot kill enemies was a good idea?

Ended up checkpointed on a point where I had 1 health left and 3 enemies to kill with the equally crap first projectile weapon so 2 choices reload to start of the entire level or quit and not play again until (if they do) it’s updated.

As a straight puzzle game or with more forgiving combat I’d have loved this as it is it’s gone in the bin.

2 Likes

I’m probably gonna have a similar case. I reached a point where I’m repeatedly failing to pass through a bunch of enemies. I’ll give it a couple more tries later and if I don’t progress I’ll just call it a day and watch the rest of the game on YouTube. I’m reminded why I don’t fuck with horror games anymore. I wish this game just stayed an exploration puzzler walking sim or at least had an easy mode, very unfortunate as I love the atmosphere and puzzles.

1 Like

Same here, I know it’s a small team but it isn’t that much work to include a difficulty setting that just reduces the damage enemies do and lowers the number of prods needed to kill them.

According to VGTech, the Series X version is 1440p but using FSR 2.0 to output it’s 4K image, making this the first console game to utilize FSR 2.0:

If that’s the case, consider me impressed as I thought the visuals looked super sharp/clean as hell on Series X.

1 Like

FSR 2.0 is so much better than 1.0, huge jump in tech.

1 Like

Excited to see this continue to be implemented moving forward. Could be quite the game changer in the console space.

I came to type this exact review. Sums it up perfectly for me

3 Likes

Just finished the game. I still don’t know what my opinion of the game is, really weird feelings between loving the atmosphere and environments and puzzles but hating a lot of the frustrating combat scenarios that almost made me give up.

What I can say now at least is that the game is interesting, and I’ll be watching and reading lot of videos and analysis about it for sure. From what I can tell on a surface level, it’s basically about birth, but I’m sure there’s much more to it.

1 Like

MAybe Gotham Knight should use it…

1 Like

So apparently we weren’t supposed to necessarily engage enemies directly and try to avoid them as much as possible, and that’s why a lot of us were frustrated with some of the encounters. I’m not sure that was possible with all encounters, it definitely wasn’t with the grenade launcher boss where I almost quit because I never was able to notice the opening/cue pattern, eventually got it with luck.

It’s also not easy with the ranged characters with their deadly aim and constant shots. People figuring out ways to cheese them is not good game design.

4 Likes

True. Those creatures which threw poison at you weren’t maneuverable in those tiny spaces, maybe their aim and speed could’ve been nerfed for the better.

Exactly. Why implement multiple gun types when the best course of action is evade and running away? I would also prefer if i could put the gun away, this ugly thing blocks the view.

The clash between normal gameplay and combat is even more apparent in the HUD. If you go around exploring and puzzle solving there is no HUD, but if you use your gun suddenly there is this videogamey HUD? Makes no sense and is bad for immersion.

I’m in chapter 4 now and gunplay is slow and unsatisfying. They should have cut this part of the game completely and instead add some more puzzles and better stealth mechanics. Make it like SOMA, it worked there :woman_shrugging: