XboxEra Community Hangout |OT4| Meat Circus

It’s so much easier to run a cult.

3 Likes

Gamestop, Amazon, Microsoft Store, Target, Walmart, and Best Buy in the US. Amazon and Best Buy haven’t had their inventory drops yet.

1 Like

It’s only 40 minutes long, I’d say it’s halfway between an E3 and a State of Play.

5 Likes

They can fit a decent amount of games in 40 minutes. I’m expecting 12 or so games total. A few are going to be short like launch trailers for Deathloop, Death Stranding DC and Kena.

Considering they haven’t done a major showcase in a year, I would say that this showcase is their E3 for 2021. lol.

1 Like

I’ve already made a post about it, anyway considering announced 1st party (HFW, GT7, GOWR), money-hatted titles (Deathloop, Ghostwire, FF16, Forspoken), fall marketing deals (COD, GTAV) and indies (Kena, Jett, Volcano High, etc…), plus some surprises (1st party new things which are closer are TLOU mp stand-alone and not much else, they’ve all relesead games between 2019-2021 outside the known announced games), I think the show schedule is largely predictable.

1 Like

The upgrade path with horizon makes my head hurt here’s the shit kicker the 200+ collectors edition comes with a steelbook case but not a physical copy of the game god I hate that shit I’m pretty sure ubisoft does this fuckery too its fucking wild and they are gonna get away with it because of their cult of a fanbase

3 Likes

Ubisoft you say? How fitting.

1 Like

Yea God could you imagine I’d Microsoft and 343 did this with infinite you know damn well their asses would be lit on fire yet when sony does it people defend their asses if your gonna put a steelbook case in a collectors edition you fucking better put a physical disc in there for me to even consider getting a special Edition like that

2 Likes

So all we should expect is 1 unique set with some obscure musician playing their unique instrument?

2 Likes

I played it earlier this year when it was one of those free play weekends and I stopped playing after a while. Found it very repetitive and the characters didn’t seem interesting at all, nor the story. I had no desire to continue on.

Good to know, I’m seeing it in about two hours from now.

Kingdom of Amalur was supposed to become an mmo. Funding was cut, and they created a singleplayer game from parts of the unfinished MMO. It plays like an mmo, but without any interaction or community, so it’s basically the same as any modern mmo.

Sony fans have a right to this. The company literally kept them on dry rations. And in a week they will show the continuation of one of the best games of the last generation. And this show will not be something like a CGI, but either a full-fledged gameplay or a gameplay trailer.

And their last major event also lasted about 40 minutes. And it was good (last fall)

I don’t think Aaron did this for E3 though, did he? I think that was right before Gamescom?

But even if he did before E3, it was wise because people tend to expect unrealistic things from Xbox shows, and Aaron knew XGS still wasn’t going to be able to show a whole lot yet. That should start from next E3 and onwards.

It’s not that MS isn’t aware of how important actual gameplay is, I mean that much became clear once it was FH5’s time to shine and I hope we get similar reveals to that for all the big upcoming XGS titles. I don’t expect 15 minutes demos for every single game but definitely a lot more than just CG. The E3 show was good, but I hope from here on out CG will be kept to a minimum. It’s a reasonable thing to expect really.

I think there’s a chance the reason Sony waited so long to have a show was so that studios were ready to go with a vertical slice of their game, but that’s just an assumption of course. Sony gameplay reveals never disappoint, they just know how to do them ever since Uncharted 4. But let’s not forget they also tried to fool everyone with that very first U4 cinematic trailer and passed it off as actually how it will look in the game, it didn’t come close to that.

Anyway, if what Jeff Grubb said is anything to go by the whole “temper your expectations” should not really be needed from next E3 and onwards.

Sony gameplay reveals are specifically crafted demos, often not representative of the final game, nor gameplay wise nor visually wise (UC4 and GoT in particular suffered heavy downgrades from demo to release), they only get away better than others. Moreover I don’t get this dislike with CGI reveals, they are cool, nobody should expect real gameplay years before the release, otherwise the odds that it’s fake are really high. The sequence CGI reveal, in-engine and then gameplay trailer is understandable, even more so if you’re under microscope.

5 Likes

The very first U4 trailer was a cinematic, but that first gameplay reveal with Sully and Nate in the jeep, are you sure this was downgraded at all in the final product? Unless my memory fails me I believe I saw Digital Foundry actually saying some details were even better than the reveal?

GoT is true, the lighting looked vastly better in the gameplay reveal compared to final game. God of War on the other hand ended up looking better than the very first gameplay reveal, Keatos and the enemy models looked better in final game. Horizon ZD too, didn’t the full game look on par with its first gameplay reveal? TLOU2 had some things look less good than that long gameplay demo but according to DF other bits looked a better.

My problem with CG is that it often doesn’t give you an indication at all what we’re dealing with. Several games during E3 shows this year had CG reveals and I had no idea what it even was. Ghostwire Tokyo is a good example of how a CG trailer can set the wrong expectations. Redfall is another one, nicely made cG trailer but it got lots of people overall thinking it was a Fortnite’ish co-op game. Later we find out it’s co-op but can perfectly be enjoyed solo too and also has all the elements from Arkane games we love.

Don’t get me wrong, im sure Arkane had their reasons for not showing gameplay yet, but I just vastly prefer a game reveal where we see what we’re working with. Even if it’s just a mixture of cinematic and in-game bits. Dead Space this week showed a heavily WIP game but what they showed already looked awesome and it has people talking.

So I would hope expecting gameplay demos and/or trailers next E3 is not an unreasonable thing to expect.

I don’t care about CGI for the first reveal trailer, people nowadays behave like spoiled brats which want everything immediately, even if it’s fake, only for sake of it and some publishers are willing to fuel the illusion. From Redfall trailer you get exactly what you read on the website, a 4 coop game set in a city/island against vampires, each character with his/hers set of unique powers, so I don’t understand the confusion.

3 Likes

Never thought I would see the day where r/gaming is dunking on Playstation and praising Xbox.

12 Likes

That just shows you how bad Sony fumbled their messaging.

If you like MMORPGs but playing alone this would be the game for you. 10 bucks is a good price but I would rather play something else.