XboxEra Community Hangout |OT4| Meat Circus

Another day seemingly without fps boost Sad Ncaa Basketball GIF by NCAA March Madness

2 Likes

It’s never happening… give up. :wink:

Harry Potter Reaction GIF

This video… is for most of you.

11 Likes

Phil is our superhero!

4 Likes

Betteridge’s Law dictates the answer is obviously no. :sweat_smile:

But for me, it was never about Xbox needing one of these Superhero games, but something that would certainly help the portfolio in a great way, while bringing in large swathes of casual audiences based on a super recognizable popular culture anchor. It’s also obviously not about “copying Sony” for me cuz I’d similarly want Sony to expand their palette and offering too, like Xbox has. Wouldn’t want all of this discourse to get poisoned by the extremes of “Xbox is doomed if they don’t pursue these licensed IP”, “where is Xbox’s answer to Wolverine?!1!” or any of that alarmist BS. It’s simply something that adds great value to the portfolio in the same way E-rated games and JRPGs shall, much to Phil’s own admission. If I can think of one studio under XGS that has expressed great interest in licensed IP, it’s InXile who pursued Baldur’s Gate 3 but lost that to Larian, but Brian Fargo has still expressed on twitter how much he loves Star Wars and IIRC would love to make a game in that universe. That’s something that would be great to see in the future if the right pitch is made. All this while, “Star Wars RPG” has meant “KOTOR”, but there’s so much potential outside that IP but still within the genre, InXile would nail that I think.

6 Likes

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Like most of the WB acquisition talk here has been in part attractive due to leveraging those pop culture IP’s to grow xbox and GP and its no different with this post Sony show talk. Like Sony leveraged Spider-man to sell like 20m units + the playstation sold as a result for it and in addition to the latest MM numbers where nearly 7m.

Thats seriously impressive usage of a licensed IP to grow their base while supplementing with their own stuff to keep people around.

5 Likes

yep. I think for all this, it’s a KI type situation where they need the right studio. Also, there are so few outside First Party that are able to do something at the level of Insomniac, demonstrably. Spiderman was a middling IP in games until Insomniac got its hand on it and it suddenly became Sony’s highest selling game. No wonder we’ll see more games in that franchise lmao. Did MS stop making Halo just because Bungie didn’t want to anymore? No, cuz that’d mean literally cutting off their highest selling, platform defining franchise. At least in Insomniac’s case, they WANT to make these games alongside the games they’ve always been making, which is a good thing. That’s why I don’t share the sentiment of “Insomniac just became a Marvel studio” because that’s for one, false and two, they love making those games.

It was very important that the developer be great and had a vested interest in making the games and the characters actually fit the kind of game being made. Square Enix fucked up Avengers (remember the whole Spidey exclusivity fiasco and now we should be grateful MS didn’t waste money on that game in any form lmao). I would love for Xbox to tackle some superhero IP if some studio pitched a great prototype to them.

1 Like

Good video! I really enjoy listening to OBM.

He almost convinced me too, almost :wink: I think a well known license can elevate a great game to even greater success. Would Sunset Overdrive 2 have been as successful as Spiderman even if the game was of equal quality? I don’t think so tbh. Why wouldn’t Xbox make a great licensed game?

Also, I don’t think Xbox should “copy Sony”, or “respond”. That stuff is Twitter warrior talk and can safely be ignored. I just think it would be very nice to have a great Star Wars or Batman game with first party polish and budget on my prefered platform! I also don’t think anyone sane is arguing any studio should be forced to make one, lol.

That the discussion kicks off after the PS show where they showed what it did isn’t strange at all. It would have been more strange if it started out of the blue on a random Tuesday in March?

5 Likes

Interestingly enough, I think it’s actually safe to say Spiderman wouldn’t have had its amazing traversal sandbox if Insomniac hadn’t made Sunset Overdrive right prior to it. It’s rather palpable how much influence SO had over that game, just an absolute bummer it didn’t sell as well and came at a time when nothing Xbox did mattered in the wake of their massive mindshare collapse. I’m 100% sure Sony wants to make a SO2 sometime down the line. They even got back Drew Murray which they will certainly not take for granted lol.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m expecting a Sunset Overdrive 2 as well lol. But yes, that was my point with Insomniac; SO2 instead of Spiderman would have been a very different outcome for PS even if the game itself would have been equally good.

1 Like

Deathloop has multiplayer?

I see it as being very simple and straight forward. If there’s an internal studio under Microsoft/Bethesda that wants to create and develop a licensed property (Marvel, Star Wars, DC, etc.) and have the interest and passion to make it great, then by all means, they should do so.

If no internal studio is interested, then they shouldn’t pursue a license. They do have Indiana Jones for Machine Games and I would like to think that they have interest and passion to make the game as great as possible because otherwise, why pay for a license that the development isn’t interested in creating and developing?

4 Likes

yep. But that’s also kinda the interesting part of this whole thing I think, Insomniac only hit mainstream success after Spidey 2018, hence a sequel to SO now would be perceived and received under a new lens that’s vastly been altered by all the recent success of the studio, something that the first game at the time didn’t have which compounded against the platform funding that game.

1 Like

So if Battlefield gets delayed to late november or close to halo do you think Halo should delay till next year? Im not sure since halo is only xbox but more time is always good and honestly xbox is doing great games wise with gamepass

Oh certainly, a Sunset Overdrive 2 now after Spiderman and on PS will be a great success. My argument is all about 2018 as far as that is concerned.

1 Like

Personally, there are other reasons why the game might benefit from a delay but this one is certainly not it haha.

1 Like

Yes yes, I’ve already agreed with you. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Aye, we are just talking past each other lol. :wink:

1 Like

lol yes, at least we aren’t talking past each other based on a lack of understanding of what either of us is saying :rofl:

1 Like